Splay scaffold (1 Viewer)

Somsaksarasee

Reaction score
Hi can anyone tell me the best way to base out a splay scaffold for a tank looked on google but can't find anything.A drawing would be good thanks.

Depending on the distance you need to be from the tank or vessel base out t&f towers and link together. Lapping the boards is ok.

---------- Post added at 08:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 AM ----------

im going to use tube and fittings

Are you doing the same job?

---------- Post added at 08:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 AM ----------

Or is it because you are both in NZ?

Depending on the distance you need to be from the tank or vessel base out t&f towers and link together. Lapping the boards is ok.

---------- Post added at 08:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 AM ----------

Are you doing the same job?

---------- Post added at 08:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 AM ----------

Or is it because you are both in NZ?
Sorry wrong page

Are you using system or tube and fittings?

Measure the total diameter of the tank, find a number that divides equally in to , that will give you number of bays or towers to be erected... or if you have mills doubles go the route of putting your ledgers alternately inside-outside of your standard, this is a fairly technical method of erecting and you would need a lot of short boards ie:-8's 6's 5's 4's and so -on, personally i'm against the lapping of boards on a splay, but if who-ever is tagging the job is ok with multiple tripping hazards on a working platform then go with it...I would also be seeking advice from your supervisor/chargehand.

hope this helps.

Measure the total diameter of the tank, find a number that divides equally in to , that will give you number of bays or towers to be erected... or if you have mills doubles go the route of putting your ledgers alternately inside-outside of your standard, this is a fairly technical method of erecting and you would need a lot of short boards ie:-8's 6's 5's 4's and so -on, personally i'm against the lapping of boards on a splay, but if who-ever is tagging the job is ok with multiple tripping hazards on a working platform then go with it...I would also be seeking advice from your supervisor/chargehand.

hope this helps.
Thanks,seen someone do it in singles looks like a tidy job.

hope this helps.

Don't you mean circumference? TG 20 permits lapping of boards on returns and splays.

---------- Post added at 08:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 AM ----------

Thanks,seen someone do it in singles looks like a tidy job.

If using singles then they would have to be checked. Have seen it in TG20 but can't remember the section number.

---------- Post added at 10:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:34 AM ----------

Apologies. TG20 recommends the platforms on circular structures to be constructed of plywood as long as it has a minimum thickness of 9mm, at least 5 plies and is suitably supported.
please see 11.2 Decking

The best way of dealing with a splay if u've not done one b4 is to fain an illness & take a couple of days off....then when you come back...like a miracle the scaffold fairys will have erected in your absence....or just go & have a really really really long shiiit and when you get ba k someone else will have startedbit for you & alls you have to do is follow below....simples :D

The best way of dealing with a splay if u've not done one b4 is to fain an illness & take a couple of days off....then when you come back...like a miracle the scaffold fairys will have erected in your absence....or just go & have a really really really long shiiit and when you get ba k someone else will have startedbit for you & alls you have to do is follow below....simples :D
Seen that stroke pulled many a time

clip under ledger with a check double then rest your next ledger on top with a clip on top for working boarded lifts. ledger on top, next underneath, next on top, next underneath.... etc. this is still an accepted way of erecting a splay, it is still taught at college. some old floppy c*ocks like to flap about how clips are not load bearing etc... an aberdeen transom can add some extra strength (in place of the check double) and herringbone plan braces off the standards can also assist.

Last edited:
the best tip i can give is leave your temporary standards in and just base off the inside, then when all is in, add your outside ledgers off your trannies with the temps still in place, then add your outside standards in the correct place.

where the ledgers meet

the amount of people that i have seen fukc this up is scary:mad:

then add aberdeens if you want or it requires it, or use band and plate to start with.

its also pretty easy with double arms, but then you have to lap short boards on so called link towers, not the best but looks ok when complete.

PS its easier to square up if you use the middle set of standards for ledger bracing.

clip to clips the best way as jakdan said. i was told to use a band and plate on the bottom one instead of the single once but have since been told thats ******** as there not designed to be used sideways on . i asked about doing clip to clip on inspection course and was told its fine

If the tanks not very big say the total curcumvence (or how ever it spelt lol) is 30 foot cant you not run it square and lap the returns otherwise i would do as someone has already said count the returns and work out want you should use 8's 10's etc but i would base the tank out first with pinch rods and temp braces always fought it easyier to do and wake standarda in after hope it makes sence never been much cop andexplaining stuff lol

Clip to clip is the only way i have ever done a splay.

I have based out with 13 foot ledgers before and then used bent spigots to around in a complete circle , you just use a spacer at the end of the ledger every time

You can always use radius tubes as well ...that'll make it really easy

Was gonna suggest that sp tho Ive never seen them only heard em mentioned on here.
How would they work.inner radius being different to outer?? splay should be simple enough for any scaff tho.:wondering:

Top Bottom