Bent Layer Beams (1 Viewer)

Shag

Reaction score
I have a few bent beams in the yard where forklift or something has caught them out on site. If i was to cut them down from 8m to 6m, 5m, 4m or 3m (away from bend), will this have any bearing on its' strength and would it get pulled by Health and Safety. Obviously i will cut it past post in beam, the same length as good end.
Also if we drilled out the pin/bolt holes will this be acceptable? Otherwise a waste of a good, expensive beam.

I cant see any reason why it should be any weaker if you cut it to the vertical and drill it the same as other beams , dont think anyone would notice unless you told them

As phillios says,who'd know,just take care when chopping them that they look like they was always like that,but if a 8m beam is cut down to say 6m or 4m then surely it would be stronger at the shorter length:wondering:

We had a few bent Layher beams on a job and I asked Layher if they could be cut down. They replied no as they were manufactured as a set size and any modification would affect the integrity (but they would say that wouldnt they?)

Maybe the Layher King will be along soon and let us know?

Good point HSWT , better to use a spur and a punch up in South London, as us lads wouldnt have a clue how to use a beam anyway and those nice Orange boiler suits compliment the Orange Layer sticker on the beams .

As long as you form the spigot next to the stanchion as a normal beam with connection holes (no diagonal strut remains within the spigott length) then it is not compromised. Strength would be the same as an original beam and it would look like a normal beam also.

Layher aly beams are made in Romania, the weld looks like its been sneezed on.

If your going to cut aly, cold cut, aly dont like heat lads.

Buy British, proper welders and the price is cheaper than layher n all

Opps HSWT, Layher 450mm or 750mm one of them has a gusset in bottom corner,

However, I certainly would not cut them down. Why not use this situation as a tollbox box talk. Explain to your staff / Client the costs you are now going to inccur, as a result of someones incompetence. Reorganise the yard perhaps, Retrain the driver or service the machine. any number of things. I am not saying its your fault, but I would not want this to happen again, too costly.

we got a few bent ones that we cut down and like havespanner said they are fine on the odd house front or over a conservatory for a painter to work on

Beams for a painter!! dan-ger mate, just double up the boards f..k them across the gap
and jog on.

Layher Beams are made in factory in Germany,been there and seen it.Quality through and through.Be nice to buy British but them days are long gone.
British companies are bringing in Chinese made beams,thats when you worry

Beams are too convenient on some jobs,everything seems to warrant a beam nowadays,when in reality it's quicker and uses less gear to double spur in tube most short spans,is this a thing of the past now or what?even pull back spurs are rare now,maybe now a lot of this design nonsense is getting binned the real tubular technicians can shine again:)

Top Bottom