Bent Layer Beams (1 Viewer)

Layher is german aint it? Doubt they'd let the rumanians manufacture substandard kit under their name.

Layher are from Eibensbach, Germany.

Their tube is'nt German, its from China, they galv on their own site and outsouce the tube.

Take a good look at the aly welding on their beams, then compare the quality and permissable loads to generations beams ( mostly, made in uk).

2010 was the last time i was at their factories, didnt see beams being made, not to say they dont now, i guess.

Bottom line QA and QC at Layher for steel components is second to none, however look at their aly beams and they just dont smell the same.

I find that quite interesting Flannel, didn't realise that.

Take a good look at the aly welding on their beams, then compare the quality and permissable loads to generations beams ( mostly, made in uk)

Last time I had some load tables from Generation, they supplied two sets for 450mm beams - for a Layher beam, and their generic beam which was a fair bit weaker. This was a few years ago now, but worth checking if you're in the market for new beams.

Layher give 9 kN in shear on their 450, generation give 12.2 kN

750 deep layher is 14.4 kN in shear
Apollo x beam is 44kN and made in UK

When you can buy local, the quality is still there.

Flannel
strong statement saying Layher source alloy tube from China,like to see your so called facts for this one.Kindly enlighten this forum !!!
As regards load data Layher work to the European safety factor not UK which makes there beams look weaker but are not actually.Also they take into account heat effected zones which are not considered by other manufacturers and suppliers.Beams are currently under review by the NASC so this subject of correct loading will come up again.Theres only so much load you can get out of a top chord bottom chord and strutts in between ask most designers and they down rate alot of the load data that is circulated for these so called stronger beams.

Stf

As things seem to get out of hand on the forum when members get emotional

I will restate, that Layher get their tube from China and they galv it themselves, or do you use galved ally?

On the loads on the beams, i have applied the EN factor of 1.65 to the beams below so they are all judged evenly,

Permissible Shear

Layher 750 = 14.4 kN
Layher 450 = 9.0 kN

X Beam 750 = 36.6kN
UK 450 = 11.2kN

If someone can tell me how to post pictures i will post the layher and the UK 450 beams so you can look at the welds.

Once again Layher are second to none in their steel modular if you like that sort of thing.
But their ally is average at best, and is this thread is on bent ally beams.......

Must agree with flannel on this one we buy apollo beams and also have some Layher one's in stock, the quality of the welding is markedly better on the UK made beams and the price is about the same.

Hi mate revert to manufacturers recommendations and you will find that they are not fit for purpose and I personally would weigh them in and if you know where they was bent I would be billing the company for damaged gear I used to do the same with loading bay gates and beams if they was damaged onsite just get one of your boys to take a picture of them on the job before they take the job down and the company cannot dispute this you don't supply the site with damaged materials so why should you receive damaged gear back all the best scc

Yeah not a chance i would re-use a bent alloy beam, once there bent have get a hairline fracture inside the where the bend is, thus weakening the beams structure.
I was told this by a lahyer scaffold trainer when i did my course.

bent beams

bill them..then, have them straightened our machine will snap any weak point...some you cannot repair, most you can..been repairing them for years for the biggest suppliers in uk[ maybe french now]

Hi bent tube man when you straighten tube out does this not weaken the integrity of the steel because I believe your machine stretches the tube for it to straighten out but to stretch alloy beams surely this is a no no because the integrity of the alloy is weakened my bent tube man who used to visit my yard with his machine refused point blank and would not touch them that's why they went straight to the scrap yard and the site in question was billed for them and the only thing I used alloy beams was for temps and I stuck with the good old fashioned ladder beams they take plenty of hammer just like a whores *****

Top Bottom