Sponge / tape on tube and fits? (1 Viewer)

marra watson

Reaction score
RIGHT HERES THE MESSAGE I GOT FROM A FRIEND OF OUR LASS WHO WORK WITH BLIND AND PARCIALLY SITED PEOPLE

Hiya cal, I need some professional advice from you! I have a client in a local authority home which is currently being painted. The whole estate has scaffolding up but there is no high vis padding on any of it. My client is partially sighted and has bumped into it several times. Nextdoor there ate young children and they are frightened to let them play out cause none of the fixings are covered! Can you tell me what the legislation is about this? You'll be my hero if you can help me out. Please send my love to Emma and I'll see you all soon

ANY ADVISE ANY 1 GOT THAT I CAN GIVE TO HER CHEERS

Again Marra, black and yellow tape for the partially blind, been on the nasc web site for a while now.

Opps looks like the lack of a method statement & risk assesment has leftbthis unprofessional wide open to a bit of no win no claim action

It would prob be under the Work at Height Regulations 2005, something to do with, anything that give rise to injury to persons or sommat like that. Standards which are not highlighted or protected give rise to injuring people.

Nothin to do with wah regs bri...just common sense.its up to us to make sure the public is safe from injuries like that - partly why i avoid street jobs like the plague...too much can go wrong leaving urself open to prosecution

cheers lads basicall its constantly happening with her clinent around town she has sent a few letters off about it . she is want some legislation to fire at the council about it and she is concerned over the health and saftey whiel its goign up as well ..... i did advise to contact the local council and wilmot and if thats no good contact maby the high ways and if still noting hse was i right or way off the mark

We do them all the time SP, no problems when done right. Most are done on a Sunday morning when we can't shut the pavement but other than that, pad your standards, plan your base and a few lights you are good to go.

---------- Post added at 09:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 PM ----------

cheers lads basicall its constantly happening with her clinent around town she has sent a few letters off about it . she is want some legislation to fire at the council about it and she is concerned over the health and saftey whiel its goign up as well ..... i did advise to contact the local council and wilmot and if thats no good contact maby the high ways and if still noting hse was i right or way off the mark

Is it a permit job?

We do them all the time SP, no problems when done right. Most are done on a Sunday morning when we can't shut the pavement but other than that, pad your standards, plan your base and a few lights you are good to go.

---------- Post added at 09:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 PM ----------

Is it a permit job?

not sure . its an estate i think and there 100's of houses up so may be in the garden of her client so i dont think highway really have a say btu wasnt sure

I suppose the answer is the same wherever it's built, go to the client.

A note to remember though, we had something similar, although the roots of the complaint went a bit deeper as the client was looking to have a dig at the contractor and you guessed it the scaffs were the easy target. They reckoned we didn't have enough pads on our job, we have a lot round council house's at the moment and we only had entrance's padded out but they wanted everything padded. We did it, but asked why the washing poles were not padded, or the old scrap cars, washing machines and other rubbish in the gardens were not padded for us. Now the boy's refuse to go in to their gardens until the rubbish is removed and the dog dirt is lifted.

yeah the min i would do is round doorsway i know they are ment to be done on all standards that are accsessable by the home owner for wilmot jobs i dont start ofr this year and year or so b4 but by the sound of it theres nothign at all ok for you and me but for parcially sited people ......., shes on the war path like and i think its me old firm, now that av left an that going down the pan since leaveing a couple of long termers have left consectuvally and putting labs on the spanners after only a few weeks labing lol ahhh well lol

If it's your old firm marra, stay out it.

I'd stay out of it anyway marra,as for the legality of it,it depends on the pc's policy,but in the eye's of the law you need to be taking reasonable measure's to eliminate any risk but at the end of the day no amount of tape or scaff foam will stop the claim brigade and most insurance company's wont even contest a claim unless it's a big one:(

lol am not sure which firm is it she didnt know colour of paint or who it was for. i dont think its to put in a claim its more to stop it happening i think he has just walked in to them a few times with the expression not again. but if it were some 1 older un steady on there feet could easily be worse all she is wanting to know is any legislation/way that they can guarantee its carried out right.

Loads of legislation marra, it will be on their Rams for a start. Tell them to speak to either the scaffolders direct or whoever is doing the job. Even if there was no legislation, one approach would be enough for anyone to pad up their standards.

---------- Post added at 09:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 PM ----------

I suppose you could quote CDM regs.

Nothin to do with wah regs bri...just common sense.its up to us to make sure the public is safe from injuries like that - partly why i avoid street jobs like the plague...too much can go wrong leaving urself open to prosecution[/

I 100% agree with the common sense bit! I still think you would be liable under the w@hr and poss section 3 ofte haswa though.

I have been fined by the local authority for fixing yellow foam because they said it was not hazard foam { Red & White stripes }. Yellow foam does not comply as it is not deemed hazard it is only hi visibility.
Yellow is difficult to see by visually impaired people.
Lamp post barriers etc are permanent objects, scaffolds are temporary that is why they need to be made safe from impact.
I had to wrap the yellow hi vis foam in red & white tape or I was going to be issued with another fine.
Has anyone else had the same problem.
I think we are an easy target and are treated as cash cows.
More easy money in the form of fines, its ********
PEACE BE WITH YOU

Show them the nasc guidance on how we are expected to pad up the jobs, and in fact black and yellow is the last colours you can differentiate between if you are partially sighted.

I'm with lmk on this one, NASC say black and yellow which is hazard, end and white is danger/prohibition.

As long as 2 metres is highlighted should be fine, we always used foam but had yellow and black sleeve underneath for when the yobs nicked it to play Star Wars!

It would prob be under the Work at Height Regulations 2005, something to do with, anything that give rise to injury to persons or sommat like that. Standards which are not highlighted or protected give rise to injuring people.
I found the old mills swivels that never had nuts and long thread's sticking out with padding and tape to be mostly accepted by the ,H,S.E mob
yeah the min i would do is round doorsway i know they are ment to be done on all standards that are accsessable by the home owner for wilmot jobs i dont start ofr this year and year or so b4 but by the sound of it theres nothign at all ok for you and me but for parcially sited people ......., shes on the war path like and i think its me old firm, now that av left an that going down the pan since leaveing a couple of long termers have left consectuvally and putting labs on the spanners after only a few weeks labing lol ahhh well lol

Nothin to do with wah regs bri...just common sense.its up to us to make sure the public is safe from injuries like that - partly why i avoid street jobs like the plague...too much can go wrong leaving urself open to prosecution[/

I 100% agree with the common sense bit! I still think you would be liable under the w@hr and poss section 3 ofte haswa though.

I have been fined by the local authority for fixing yellow foam because they said it was not hazard foam { Red & White stripes }. Yellow foam does not comply as it is not deemed hazard it is only hi visibility.
Yellow is difficult to see by visually impaired people.
Lamp post barriers etc are permanent objects, scaffolds are temporary that is why they need to be made safe from impact.
I had to wrap the yellow hi vis foam in red & white tape or I was going to be issued with another fine.
Has anyone else had the same problem.
I think we are an easy target and are treated as cash cows.
More easy money in the form of fines, its ********
PEACE BE WITH YOU

Sent from my Archos 80c Xenon using Tapatalk

Top Bottom