Research for an overview of the number of Scaffold Companies & Scaffolders in the UK (1 Viewer)

Rigger

Reaction score
Research for an overview of the number of Scaffold Companies & Scaffolders in the UK

Research for an overview of the number of Scaffold Companies & Scaffolders in the UK

I am trying to estimate the number of companies that erect scaffolding in the UK.

I am also attempting to find the number of scaffolders employed and on what basis, directly employed, self employed, agency employed.
As a start I have searched Yell.com (yellow pages) a paid for advertising medium.

I searched “scaffold erectors; England, Wales, Scotland, NI” respectively The results were
England 3,296, Scotland 190, Wales 189, Northern Ireland 40 a grand total of 3,715 companies

Although not all scaffolding companies advertise on “Yellow Pages” I estimate 80% do. I therefore have added 20% to the total number of hits of 3,715.

Producing a number of 4,458 scaffolding erectors (Companies) in the UK

In trying to establish the number of scaffolders in the UK the only figure I have so far is one posted by stleger in another thread stating that under the CISRS there are 5,500 trainees 15,000 basic scaffolders and 8,000 Advanced scaffolders

Producing a total of 23,000 qualified scaffolders with 5,500 under training

Your views and comments will be greatly appreciated on my figures and methodology of reaching them. This is my starting point only. If you have any suggestions as to where I may collate more input to these figures please let me know.Thanks for your help in my research

Best Regards

Is this a personal thing Rigger? All the carded numbers are public record and were published on scaff mag and reposted on another thread on here. ASITO would be who to talk to for carded men, not sure how to collate firms or even what constitutes a firm, loads of builders and all sorts chucking up gear for themselves and others. Good luck, sounds like a headache to me.

Just to start you off, Aom.;)

yes aom , just a personel queery at present of how many firms and scaffolders in UK.

"Yell.com" came up with 3 companies in Argyll Your own esteemed outfit,one in Dunoon and one in Oban.Is this a fair number ???

Firms in London 249, Manchester 109, Liverpool 64, Leeds 97, Cardiff 51, Glasgow 51, Edinburgh 51, Can any local lads confirm these figures ????

Thanks in advance

That sounds about right in my area, but there are a few building firms who carry more gear than the 3 scaffold firms put together, and only 1 has any form of trained men. Not sure if they would count or not.

There should be someone who could confirm numbers in individual cities.

draw a map, divide into areas. Find 3 people in each area who have worked in that area for certain length of time and collaborate their answers. I'm 99% sure i know all the scaffold companies in East riding of yorkshire as i have worked alongside them for 14 years. Dont know why your doing it but thats how i would do it.

As for finding the number of Scaffolders i cant see how anyone could ever get an accurate number its always gonna be estimated

Working with a figure of 11 scaffold firms in east Yorkshire.Is this a fair estimate in your opinion ? Thanks for your input

theres more than that in Hull alone, i'll count them up tomorrow night if u want but am on way to bed for now, rough idea i would say 30-40 Companies in East yorkshire

Think the last figure we came up with was 16,000 scaffold firms & 40,000 CISRS so add 25,000 to that & you will be close.

Regards Ragscaff

read in an earlier thread on here there was estimated to be between 40,000-50,000 carded uncarded scaffs in the uk don't quite know how they came to this figure but on the said thread there was a broad agreement that theses figures were not far from being right.maybe the nasc could be contacted to shed some light for you rigger?personally i think its going to be immeasurable to quantify the number of scaffs out there goodluck mate.

Think the last figure we came up with was 16,000 scaffold firms & 40,000 CISRS so add 25,000 to that & you will be close.

Regards Ragscaff

Cheers Ragscaff, may I ask how you came up with16,000 firms and are you saying that there are 40,000 CISRS plus 25,000 unregistered scaffolders. Making a total number of scaffolders of 65,000

in Blackburn/Accrington we have 10 Registered but the 2 man/3 guys are around aprox 15
it may be as a result of major player Kirks long establishment

Cheers mate You say there are 10 registered (companies). What do you meen by registered ?

I searched "scaffold erectors" near Ackrington on Yell.com. It came back with 42 hits mainly on the M65 corridor between Blackburn & Burnley a number of them appeared to be private residences with only mobile phone numbers as contacts.

Thanks for your input

regards

Top Bottom