Bidding Values - Advice needed

redsteven5

Reaction score
Gents,

I need some high level numbers for scaffolding…….in the bid for Qatar we have to put in a value for a number of different scaffolds…one example is provided below.

Can you provide a figure for say 500m3 and I can simply multiply the requirements by this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

I have only done this type of thing with local authority work,so i think qatar will have it's own requirements,i'm sure hswt will be clued up on this or any of the other expat managers on here,500m3 can be a totally different price if it's straight up in the air as opposed to a standard three lift independant,so you can be caught with your pants down if you dont price for the worst scenario,on the other hand you might price yourself out of it if it is only standard works,good luck and i hope you get it pal:cool:

Gents,

I need some high level numbers for scaffolding…….in the bid for Qatar we have to put in a value for a number of different scaffolds…one example is provided below.

Can you provide a figure for say 500m3 and I can simply multiply the requirements by this?

Regards,

Do you mean put in a monetary figure for different scaffolds of varying sizes. Have they sent a BOQ? 500m3 is that one boarded lift, what height is it, could it be in a confined space? There are many variables.
Don't go in blind they will have you over. Send me a PM if you prefer.

Were just looking at a rough estimate right now to various scaffolds.
4000m3 of scaffold is the expected scope. (tbc)
Could this be worked out as a rough guide at 1.5m3 per hour per 3 man gang?
Obviously there may well be different systems of scaffolding in a foreign country but i would like to compare a UK estimate to the version i will change it to out in Qatar.

cheers,

Were just looking at a rough estimate right now to various scaffolds.
4000m3 of scaffold is the expected scope. (tbc)
Could this be worked out as a rough guide at 1.5m3 per hour per 3 man gang?
Obviously there may well be different systems of scaffolding in a foreign country but i would like to compare a UK estimate to the version i will change it to out in Qatar.

cheers,

My guys average of 3.0 m3 per hour per man plus boards for erecting a birdcage if using system scaffold with 2.5m X 2.5m bays. They do not always achieve this owing to different project conditions. Dismantling is at least twice. Tube and fitting compliant with TG20 is less as are heavy duty formwork scaffolds.
It all depends on where and what the job is. 4,000m3 is only 20mX20mX10m high.So a very small scope of works. Is it civil construction or oil and gas? There are many different things and costs to consider.This is a different world not just country and the only thing that can be compaed to the UK is the quality of scaffolds put up on oil and gas projects.

Last edited:
Price per m3 is typical in the ME.
Not suggesting it is right just saying that’s how it is.

Pricing in this fashion will give you a totally inaccurate price for the works.
As HSWT has intimated 4000m2 is 20x20x10 high it could equally be 5x5x160 high how do you price an unknown?
Take HSWT’s birdcage at 2.5x2.5 grid on 2m lifts if the unspecified grid turns out to be 1.2x1.2 you will have 3.5 times the kit, transport and labour.
Good luck in Qatar

We are priceing on m3 and losing money every day!! This was put in place prior to me taking this position the client is laughing all the way to the bank!! Try and price on square meters

Gents,

Regards,
I would be very careful about pricing this blind, with great respect your quote about the output of a three man gang highlights your potential exposure as there are very few scaffolds that a three man gang would build in the Gulf and the number of non productive members in any operation is significantly increased.
Pricing in M3 works if you understand the scope and apply the normal caveats, in particular set a minimum job value and understand the contract you sign.
Best of luck and welcome to summer Ramadam

Why flagman?what is your position in the company and where are you working at moment m8.

All vehicles have to be accompanied by a flagman. Thats a man with a red and a green flag. Although they are qualified scaffolders they do not do any actual scaffolding. Same as the scaffolding inspectors they are non-productive. Oh and so are the safety officers!!

---------- Post added at 10:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 AM ----------

I am just here to make the tea.

All vehicles have to be accompanied by a flagman. Thats a man with a red and a green flag. Although they are qualified scaffolders they do not do any actual scaffolding. Same as the scaffolding inspectors they are non-productive. Oh and so are the safety officers!!

---------- Post added at 10:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 AM ----------

I am just here to make the tea.
And the timekeepers, QS and the very small man from Kerla who used to make the tea

And the timekeepers, QS and the very small man from Kerla who used to make the tea

Timekeepers, QS and myself are not included and due to cost cutting the small man from Kerala had to go and we have to make our own tea.

---------- Post added at 02:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 PM ----------

With vehicles accompanied by a man with a flag I would say its London about 1910

It could also have been Australia 2011 as no vehicles allowed to reverse without a spotter on the project there.
In fact when using a MEWP there had to be a spotter sat on a chair as well.

Top Bottom