Tickets? Do you think they are as important as they are made out to be?? (1 Viewer)

Tried that no butts and only a double malarky on droppers ,I didn't like it.
As for sliding down a dropper with your scaffold belt tied around it ,well its an absolute belter! that one .
If I saw someone try it ,I would have to send them to the medic as they must delirious or some thing !
Why was the assessed route scrapped anyway ?was there problems with it?

Working at Height Regs state that anyone working at height needs to be TRAINED in the task they're carrying out.

So the assessed route guys are not competent as have not been trained. Over to you Jason Gibbs.

---------- Post added at 12:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 PM ----------

Its must be hard to slide down the dropper and then undo and then do up the tool belt while your legs are wrapped round the dropper. Would think it would be near impossible with the weight of a belt with all these tools they have on it these days. Over to you instructor.

You keep on about compentancy & training..& soon it'll change to "qualified " so why couldnt the system allow for this .bit can anybody actually say & beleave that the colledge trained them....in my humble opinion and i'm sure that. There must be some good instructors out there but from my experiance 10 min of talking &;looking @the blackboard doesnt seem like training....this could be done on the assessed method or even with WBR. Or visiting citb instructors....far to many tea breaks & time wasting on the courses...if you were proficient before you were even send to gsin he ticket , then the whle process wold be shortened & so less expensive. It would also have allowed the etib guys without the expense of retraining....its true that we are the only trade to undergo such regious training. With constant need for retaking touchscreen tests etc all for one purpose and thats to generate more money for a badley flawed system that abuses us as workers whilst not allowing us a tadesmans status.

Make you right there southern. On courses I attended the instructor gave out a drawing and let you get on with it. Apart from the basic classroom stuff about bay sizes etc not much input at all.
What I want to know is if people could be classed as competent by CISRS after a weekend in Erith why couldnt they class as competent the ECITB men with 20 years heavy industry experience under their belts.
Who would the original poster put striking a hanger? The man from Dungeness or Sizewell with ECITB card or the CISRS assessed route man who spent most of his weekend at Erith in that pub up the road from the centre???

Everyone that went down the assessed route (Including myself) was supposed to have 10 years proven work history.
They then spent a couple of weekends fannying about doing the same jobs as the fortnighters and were given the same answers for the multiple choice questions, so what's the problem?

TO GO TO COLLEGE LIKE OTHER TRADES TAKE AT LEASTE 1 DAY A WEEK AT THE COLLEGE AND EVERY SIX TO 10 WEEKS YOUR ARE THERE FOR A FULL WEEK MINIMUM, OTHER WAYS ARE THERE 2.5 DAYS A WEEK,ALTHOW THERE IS THE EXCEPTION OF DOING A COURSE LIKE THIS OLCI Plumbing Courses, Gas & Electrical Training Courses 0800 058 2848 EVERY TRADE SITS THE CSCS TOUCH SCREEN EVERY 5 YEARS THAT MORE ABOUT TO KEEP THE MAIN CONTRACTORS HAPPY AND YES A CASH COW FOR THE COST TO WORK ON THE SITE YOU STILL NEED THE CSCS.

House fronts and cash thats the life for me :laugh:
Phil, talking of house fronts ,ive just had a crowd of solar installers from Sheffield on the phone.They have 300 houses in the area to do on social houses (piles of cr*p to move in every garden).They are looking for a scaffold erector to do the lot for £150 a house, two lifts x 8m long.
But don't fret, you can make you money up on the bungalows (10 of them) that they are letting the scaffolding contractor do for the same price. Isn't that kind.
I had to decline his kind offer but I can guarentee some mug will do it for that

20 X 20 house front = £360 cash , and they can clean there own fookig ***** up first ,
2 a day £720 X 5 days £3600 Get in there my son :laugh:

Phil, talking of house fronts ,ive just had a crowd of solar installers from Sheffield on the phone.They have 300 houses in the area to do on social houses (piles of cr*p to move in every garden).They are looking for a scaffold erector to do the lot for £150 a house, two lifts x 8m long.
But don't fret, you can make you money up on the bungalows (10 of them) that they are letting the scaffolding contractor do for the same price. Isn't that kind.
I had to decline his kind offer but I can guarentee some mug will do it for that

Oh aye some clown will be made up doing that thinking 2 a day is £300,not to mention edge protection to gables,the 4m x 1 lift to the front for handballing up the panels,the return striking visit and to top it all you dont get paid for three months if at all,remind me again why we're all not doing them??if these idiots stuck to real prices these jobs would be good for us all,but i suppose we should be gratefull that while their busy making feck all at least their not doing the stuff that needs more than a man and a van.

---------- Post added at 05:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:53 PM ----------

20 X 20 house front = £360 cash , and they can clean there own fookig ***** up first ,
2 a day £720 X 5 days £3600 Get in there my son :laugh:

All well and good if you can get two a day,it's rare for us to be asked to just do a house front,it's either the whole house or just the gable or just the stack,but rarely just the front;)

I just done solar panel job or £350 front .then they asked me to do a back over a conservatory with a long hump in which I priced 400 they laughted good luck to who ever done it. They must of been let down on the front they give me

As soon as they start they want to put a spanner in their hands. the starting point to be a good scaff is to be a good labourer. with out labouring experience they have no idea whaty gear they need or what to do. the new ticketing system is a load of ****. there are people with part 2 tickets turning up on sites or jobs with only a years experience and not having a clue. Abolish this pathetic system. Bring in a system where 2nd fixers after a good few years experience on the tools are sent to get tickets.

You can usually tell in the 1st 5 mins how good they are by the way they put their first double on or what gear they bring over when basing out

Whatever way you look at it, a person new to the trade always starts with no experience and gains that as time passes. It is always going to be better that the new kod has a good foundation of knowledge prior to them starting rather than them knowing nothing. But it's the arrogance and bad attitude that's more of a problem as new kids with certificates think they already know it all and may dismiss the experienced mans advice whereas the bloke who starts with nothing will more likely take an experienced persons advice on board, but may never learn some fundamental basics.
I've been scaffolding for a year here in Australia (I'm a joiner from Bolton) and I've just decided to my basic scaff ticket. Although I've considered myself a good worker and pretty clued up, I've still learnt a hell of a lot of things I did t know in just one week and they are things that will make me a much better, more confident scaffolder from now on

Top Bottom