AGENCY'S shape up or ship out.

kentjohn

Reaction score
London bridge job 12hr shifts PTS £16.50 per hr is it a misprint on that vacancies its a joke for 2013.its about time we all said no more we want a set hourly rate of at least £20 from agency's.

Agency tx me yesterday with a job, had to agree to work 7 12hour shifts every week but they were only paying a flat rate of £12 for your full 84 hours, unreal

Listed with 5 agency's three weeks ago all advertising they had jobs heard nothing back must have just wanted names and numbers what a waste of time.

so london bridge is a joke , portsmouth do 12's on 12 quid an hour , jobs advertised that dont exist , no choppers to take people to work , WTF is the point ......:mad:

maybe as well doing a fuckin 8 month course an becoming a electrician/heating/plumbing engineer or some other ffn job that pays more than the ****** industry were in.:sad:

wonderin why i spent over 3 grand this past year ..:blink:

We should start our own agency and pay a minimum of £20/hour for basic & £25/hour for advanced.

Plus digs!

We had a spate of this last year. Agencies advertising for jobs they didnt actually have, but taking names in case they landed the contract.
This is wrong and there should be a law against telling lies like this.
You can name and shame on forums like this one but to put a halt to it completely, how the hell would one even start?

---------- Post added at 06:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:41 PM ----------

We should start our own agency and pay a minimum of £20/hour for basic & £25/hour for advanced.

Plus digs!
A non-profitable agency ? That would really put the cat amongst the pigeons!
:bigsmile:

while the tax situation is the way it is with everyone , company/agency/umbrella passing the buck , and the gov.. doing nothing to stop it , it wont improve , an agency worker actually works for the Umbrella and now theres companys been set up to help the Umbrella dodge the AWR regs... , this situation was mentioned on news a few weeks ago but like most things that matter , a mention is all it gets , something has/needs to be done...

i suggested weeks ago self employed workers on this forum up and down the country should contact their local mp and register their disgust with this situation , but no one gives a f.uck ,

Ucatt publicised and exposed this situation in their last newsletter and well done to them for doing so , but they have to keep going and do more...

what you suggest sounds great phil , but probably not feasible , as these agencys get the deals through their backhanders and allsorts no doubt , a company started by or run by scaffs would not get a sniff of the golden goose that these agencys get....:cry:

Last edited:
On paper it would be a cracking idea. All one would need is a couple of forum members who are whizz-kids on figures. Practicle? Difficult yes, but not impossible.
Minimum £20 an hour? I'm in the queue already!

Plus digs!

Thats a great idea. Surprised it hasn't been suggested before.

---------- Post added at 07:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 PM ----------

On paper it would be a cracking idea. All one would need is a couple of forum members who are whizz-kids on figures. Practicle? Difficult yes, but not impossible.
Minimum £20 an hour? I'm in the queue already!

Maybe all profits could go to the SCCR with the people who run the agency getting 20 quid an hour or 25 if they are advanced.

I was thinking about this last week after the agency straw poll, even did a wee bit of research on it. The biggest problem I can see with setting up an agency, non-profit or otherwise is capital. You'd need a pile of money to get it off the ground. Lads need paying weekly and any contractor would want at least 60 days (these days more likely 90) before they coughed up their end. So the wages for all the lads on jobs on the agency's books would have to come from the agency in the interim period.

The game is f..cked

Every day there is 15 to 20 jobs advertised on gov.uk 90% of the jobs are agency the rates are crap they no times are hard so they offer crap rates nowing lads will work for it because we all have family's morgages bills and they are taken a right cut of the money what really gets me is false advertising getting your hopes up then boom nothing I must of rang and registerd with every agency out there and still collecting my giro what do we do we all feel the same we need solerdartie with out it we have nothing RANT OVER:mad:

I was thinking about this last week after the agency straw poll, even did a wee bit of research on it. The biggest problem I can see with setting up an agency, non-profit or otherwise is capital. You'd need a pile of money to get it off the ground. Lads need paying weekly and any contractor would want at least 60 days (these days more likely 90) before they coughed up their end. So the wages for all the lads on jobs on the agency's books would have to come from the agency in the interim period.

Good point. What about if one agency such as Forefront the forums sponsors were bought on board. All the scaffolders would have to agree to only work for them. The other agencies would not be able to supply scaffs so Forefront would have the monopoly. Then all contractors in theory would have to go to them at an agreed rate or else take scaffs on the cards.

Sounds like a good idea in theory but I reckon all the other agencies would kick up a stink citing competition laws as one company has a monopoly of sorts on the forum. Unless of course it really was non-profit I.e. the agreed rate went to the worker except say a minimal percentage for administrative purposes, I don't see how they could as it could be easily demonstrated that the agency was set up to stop the working scaffolder being exploited by profit driven agencies/umbrella companies. Also if all tax and NI was being paid as it should be unlike with the umbrella system, HMRC would surely support it.

Last edited:
Good point lee crow.as hswt said forefront is one of the better agency
's so all the jobs would be under there control.

The other agencies would not have grounds to complain. After all it is an individuals right to sign up for what ever agency he wants. Contractors would still be able to go to other agencies but if the scaffolders stuck to the agreement the other agencies would not be able to supply any.
Of course the controlling agency would make a profit as they would be financing the whole operation and paying wages. Banks dont provide finance for free do they?

Top Bottom