Tyneside construction workers' lives 'destroyed' by blacklisting

TEESSIDE SCAFFOLDER

Reaction score
Tyneside construction workers' lives 'destroyed' by blacklisting

by Chris Ward, Evening Chronicle
Jan 24 2013

A SECRET database used to deny scores of Tyneside construction workers jobs has been branded a "national scandal".

Legal action has been launched over allegations that firms involved in major construction projects, including the Olympics and Crossrail, blacklisted workers.

Files discovered during a raid in 2009 revealed 69 workers in the Tyne and Wear area were among hundreds denied employment after they raised legitimate health and safety concerns or exercised their rights to belong to a union.

Many people have no idea they were included on the blacklist, which was uncovered by the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) and showed more than 40 of the UK’s largest construction firms used the practice.

A raid on an organisation called the Consulting Association discovered a database of 3,000 names used to vet workers in the construction sector for more than 15 years.

Wansbeck MP Ian Lavery yesterday compared blacklisting to phone hacking because it “destroyed the lives of many innocent people.”

He said: “It ruined and continues to ruin the lives of many hardworking men, women and their families.”

Prime Minister David Cameron said the issues occurred during Labour’s time in office.

Speaking in the Commons at Prime Minister’s Questions, Mr Cameron said: “The blacklisting that occurred was a completely unacceptable practice. I think the previous government was right to make it unlawful.

“We’ve seen no evidence the blacklisting regulations introduced are not doing their job and the company responsible was shut down in 2009. But let me say this, I do welcome the openness and frankness that Labour are using an Opposition Day debate to look at something that went wrong while they were in office.”

Len McCluskey, general secretary of Unite, said: “This is a scandal on the scale of phone hacking, except it is the lives of thousands of ordinary workers which have been ruined. There should be a full and proper inquiry. Construction companies have been allowed to get away with a conspiracy to spy on thousands of ordinary construction workers and destroy their careers.”

Legal firm Guney, Clark & Ryan yesterday confirmed it was taking legal action on behalf of 80 construction workers.

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nort...by-blacklisting-72703-32670347/#ixzz2ItfnOrjR

Damn right line up the guilty and hang them blacklisting should only occur if your a child molester or rapist hang them

And companies who dont pay wages or pensions!! I worked for a large Irish company for 5 years and i was paying 30quid a week towards my pension. The owner (gangster) went bust oweing the lads wages and then we found out he never paid into the pensions!!! 160 scaffs during the boom you do the maths!! when he was taken to court he was fined 1600 euro!!!! this fecker still operates..... companies like this need blacklisting not the Hard working people trying to break even!!

not just tyneside workers , i posted this yesterday , but it seemed no-one gave a ****

Top Bottom