To charge hire or Not to charge Hire that is the question? (1 Viewer)

Dandaps

Reaction score
Guys do you allways charge hire?
sometimes when I'm busy I forget about some jobs that have been up a while.
So now I'm gonna start making sure I charge for every extra weeks hire.

Sometimes u have 2let hire charges go if its a regular customer as most of the time they r on a tight budget just to win the job...id rather they use me again then upset them ova extra charges!! Repeat custom is bread and butter money in this game!

When you are supplying materials on a contract basis you have to limit the time your customer has the material - by mutual agreement. Extra hire does this. If you cannot service new clients because your existing client base is holding on to 'free' equipment it will be you paying, either hire companies to supply you material or delay claims in non-supply of ongoing contract works.

You should have a board or some other system in place to let you know when the contract period is up. The client should also be made aware of the extra hire price should the contract overrun. Extra hire is a very important means of profit and should never be ignored.

To be honest Dandaps, this is always going to be a bone of contention amongst the scaffs. My basic deal is 4 weeks free with a weekly hire from there, it can change depending on who is asking and how quickly they pay their existing bills. We do have 1 or 2 out on hire free or even a set fee for 6 months standing paid up front on completion of the scaffold but I have also had them really take the Michael with some holding on to my material for over a year on a hire free deal meaning I have had to spend more to keep my other jobs going. For me, it's a bit like pricing, you have a feel for striking a deal based on your current situation. Hire free is a simple way to empty the yard but you know what they say about any fool can be busy.

Yep pretty much the same as me aom. I'm just thinking at the moment because we took a job down last week that had been up 6months because we never agreed a hire period before although he did pay some extra hire it was only small as it didn't feel right hitting him with a big bill. I'm going to start making good sure that it's all agreed before hand from now on.

I'm the opposite...in as much as exhisting good paying clients dont get charged but new clients or 1 offs do...but its a fine line to having the piiss taken to which if i feel the QS is then we'll av a pow wow & agree btween us

All housing sites round here are "all risk no hire" and the smaller firms never have any money for extra hire...what ya gonna do...

No body ever wants to pay overhire so I dont charge it to existing customers.

I feel giving the stuff away is a basic error, but if it works for you good enough. As I said, my experience is they will rip you too bits on a hire free deal, so I charge just enough to p1ss them off so they will get the work done in a timely fashion and give it back so I can move it on. There is no money to be had for me in hire, but there is in a strip and erect.

YOU WILL KNOW ALL ABOUT IT WHEN YOU HAVE TO PAY £100 OF OUR POUNDS TO GET YOUR WORKFORCE INTO THE COUNTRY:eek:

what makes you think they fekin idiots will pay for anything? It will be the usual, only those who have no intention of over staying their welcome will pay, the rest will continue to do what they like.

we have made the mistake in the past of not chargeing hire, then they keep it up for a year you get a big job come in and have to buy more gear. now on a small job they get 4 weeks then 5% hire per week, on the bigger jobs they get 12, weeks then 5% hire per week, we sometimes give the good customers a week or two for free which gos a long way sometimes.

Top Bottom