Crash decks and alloy towers (2 Viewers)

Reaction score
Consultant Scaffolding Manager AG&P Philippines
Anyone in UK know if the use of aluminium mobiles is banned from crash decks?
The WAH regs say that the working platform should be fit for the intended work. But what if the contractor wants to use mobiles on a crash deck for MEP works before a false ceiling is put in form the crash deck boarded level. Obviously the contractor doesnt want to pay for the boarded deck to be lowered as its a hanger that covers 15,000 square metres. The ally towers would be a metre or so high and extra handrails would be on the actual crash deck.

If it's only 1m off the floor why not use 1m trestles.

Cant see a problem using a 1m high tower off the crashdeck, but would suggest getting some lightweight (alloy) channel steels to run the wheels in and ensure that they dont drop through any boarded joints, done this successfully a number of times before Havespanner

Thanks Ray but it will have ply on top of the boards.I have been costing it today and have done the labour, transport, materials etc. The ply alone comes to about 70 grand.Got a bit of a headache when an HSE guy said the WAH regs say a working platform must be fit for the job and you cant put ally mobiles or even small hop up scaffolds on the main deck.

What about changing the use of the platform to support and use a mobile tower off it, its only 1m high for F*** sake its impossisible to go anywhere! as long as guardrails are sufficient. Just this change of use should solve the problem, then change usage back to original, extra paperwork buta lot better than all the labour to alter it.

Could do there will be a lot of mobiles on the whole deck as its 15,000m2. My main concern would be that the users dont overload it with materials.I already said extra handrails but this guy is being a bit of a prick. Its the main contractor who wants to use mobiles nothing to do with me.

As long as you inform them of the loading per square metre that cannot be exceeded and place this information on the platform so that it can be read by workers then it is then up to the main cantractor to regulate it after you have handed it over. Its excatly the same as any other scaffold. I understand your concern but you can't police every scaffold platform you have erected. I assume you hav had this designed so you will be able to provide the loading no problem.

If you get the job i'll come over and help you worry about it, 2 heads are better than one and its sodding cold over here, thought you were in Gulf.
Confidence in your work, it will be fine :bigsmile:

Rays given u some good advise there similar to what oi was gonna surgest about changing useage.... the only thing i would add would be if u were that worried take a go bag with u to work so if it does go wrong u can make ur exit sharpish lolol

Top Bottom