Need help with AutoCAD and how to design Scaffolding with it ! (1 Viewer)

Clayson

Reaction score
Hi chaps,

I am have just got myself a copy of AutoCAD and i need to know what software to use with it in order to design scaffolding.

Any tips ??

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the scaffs forum fella

Im sure Help info will be forthcoming once the Slumbering Giants Awaken.

If by design scaffolding you mean draw then there you can either do it the old fashioned way and draft everything you need or go on the hunt for blocks (which lots of us here are willing to share).

If you mean the actual engineering side of it then there are some free moment distribution programs available along with frame analysis/FEM suits but without knowledge of the principles behind where these programs get there numbers from, you may find these things more of a hindrance than helpful.

If you're interested I can give you some recommended reading?

Thanks Stella and Nick.

Basically Nick, I am very new to this industry. My background is in Asbestos removal and analysis but I thought I would try my hand at something new. The company has been going for a while now and its going smoothly. I would really love to be able to get my own drawings done. Obviously, the housing firms that we are working for give us the drawings but the more local work is where I will be looking to get the drawings done.

So, can someone explain blocks for me please ?!

Really appreciate the help, thanks for making a newbie feel welcome. Any help I may be able to offer anyone, feel free to ask.

Scott.

Last edited:
Blocks are components (or sometimes entire drawings) that have been grouped together, not to be confused with the group command, for easy storage for reuse. Usually things like steel sections, scaffold beams, things that aren't likely to change anytime soon. Has your present company got a library? If so that'll be where you'll find the cad blocks.

Sorry if that's a rambling explanation bit it's a phone post so hard to proof read.

Sent from my Fembot4000 using Tapatalk

Hi mate. My present company has nothing at the moment, I only started it up 2 months ago. We have all been so busy on site due to having to take over from another ( crap ) firm that we have barely had time to get the kit painted !!

Am i right in assuming that, if you were to send me a block, I would somehow integrate it into AutoCAD ? If so, hoe is this done ? If its easier for you to send a response from your PC then I can wait, phone posts are a pain in the backside.

If I sent you a block it would in .dwg format (AutoCAD's editable drawing format) so you could then save that block drawing. Later when you need it you could either copy and paste the block into your current drawing or put in your tool palette if its going to be used regularly.

What version of CAD are you running mate?

Sent from my Fembot4000 using Tapatalk

At the moment, 2010, just until I get used to it. So do I have to draw something and then add the block to it ?

Nope. Blocks can be added to any drawing; even empty ones. Shoot me your e-mail and I'll send you some so you can have a play.

Thanks for the blocks mate. Not got a clue what to do with them though !! Think I need to Google it !!

As in how to get them into a drawing or just what to do in general?

Well I dont actually have a drawing yet..........So i guess in general. I will try looking it up mate, I am sure you have a job to do other than helping idiots !

That kind of is my job. Have you ever had to explain things to a brickie :)

Happy to help so fire away.

Haha, too bloody often, most of them are not exactly bursting with A Levels are they bless 'em.

Ok, here it is. As I said, I am very new to the industry. I have gone into business with a guy that has 20 years experience in the scaff trade and I have come in to run the office. I have no design experience whatsoever but I am technologically sound so how hard can it be...............hehe.

Basically , I want to learn how to produce drawings for local jobs as Bloor Homes, Redrow Homes and Linden Homes all give us the drawings.

That's basically it. I just think it would benefit us greatly if I could do it. I have AutoCAD but at the moment it's like giving my laptop to a monkey.

would you like a list of the basic commands and what they do or have you got thru that?

Basically, if you can draw a line, rectangle and a circle thats pretty much all you need for a basic outline of a structure which, for the local jobs will probably suffice.

For the scaffold itself; see how you get on with the polyline (pl and enter on keyboard) and donut (_do or just type donut) commands. That'll take care of your transoms, ledgers, bracing etc.

Is that any help?

That sounds brilliant........Next I just need to find where to put the commands...........Just invoicing at the moment. I will let you know how i get on.

---------- Post added at 05:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:57 PM ----------

Once i have drawn the square, it disappears. Is it supposed to ?

After you have typed the dimensions, you need to left click on the mouse or press entire to confirm or else the REC command gets canceled.

If you're using dynamic input (little text boxes next to your crosshairs) thats where CAD will try to send your commands. Because I learnt on earlier versions I find that a pain in the arse so I turned it off (F12 key). Once it's off your commands will appear at the bottom of the screen in the command line as will on screen prompts. This may vary depending on whether you're using the new and funky workspace layout or the classic layout though so you'll have to keep an eye out.

Few more prompts:-
type "L" for line then @[insert length]<[insert angle] and hit enter.

this takes care of trying to "eye in" angles. A worked example will look like: @1500<45

Hope you're still having fun lol

Fantastic stuff. I am having a lot of fun. I love learning new stuff and this, although a challenge, is brilliant. I really appreciate your help.

Top Bottom