Self Build Scaffold - HSE Complaint (2 Viewers)

extra180

Reaction score
I am a self builder, erected my own scaffolding around my semi, (read some books - followed 'Independant Tied Scaffold' plans to the letter - all is fine), been working off it for few weeks, been through gales, loading with heavy steel beams, no problem.

Someone (I think my neighbour who I dont get on with) has complained, or maybe someone from the council.

I have received a letter from HSE complaints department, stating they have recieved a 'concern' regarding the scaffold currently around the property, specifically the scaffolds suitability and suitability, with 'loose fittings' and that it 'wobbles' (which it does not). The Complaints officer wants me to forward any qualifications and details of any experience I have in erecting scaffolds. He also wants to know some details about the project and who the contractors onsite are (there are no contractors).

The scaffold is on private land, it will be well away from the from the public highway (6-7 metres).

They are expecting a reply within 14 days.

Thanks

Last edited:
If the HSE thought it was dangerous they would have issued a prohibition notice.
As it is your own property and if you are the only user of the scaffold I can't see what they can do unless you are letting others use the scaffold to build your house.
Then you open up a can of worms.

---------- Post added at 11:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 AM ----------

Is your neighbour a scaffolder by any chance?

i think you may be ok if you can prove it dosent endanger any one else,you are on your own propperty.and you are the onley person working on it,there may be some one on here that may know more,or get a scaffold firm to put it in order

---------- Post added at 12:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 PM ----------

i think swifty is bang on

Thanks for your replies, if it was judged that dangerous they would have immediate powers they can use to have it dismantled ?

I understand the need for HSE etc, but its erected correctly.

It is just normal Independent Tied Scaffold round a semi - looks like any other scaffold.
It is my house on private land, and I am not employing anyone.

They require a reply in 2 weeks ...

Last edited:
Get the loading bay down ASAP unless you have a drawing for it and it's all enclosed (gate, brickguards etc) and ask a local company to have a look for you that is if you can find someone.

There is not a scaffold company I know who would ever sign off someone else's work. It's a domestic job and therefore the hse can do very little about it but there will be a couple of proviso's to keep it that way. As soon as you ask anyone else to use it even just to help you it opens up a whole new can of worms. Does it encroach your neighbours property either footed from the ground or cantilevered? If it does, it could be argued that you are putting his property at risk and if it doesn't the job is unsuitable as you have to fly past the building enough to catch anyone falling from the ridge at an angle.

If it's as good as you say it is and no one else is going to be on it I would send him a few pictures explaining what you have done and why, problem solved.

You say it includes a loading bay - if others are loading material on this when delivering, this would be an issue. You may also need to show that the general public are excluded from entering the scaffolded area.

If no one else but you are on it i cant see what the hse could do about it
But for your own piece of mind it may be worth paying for an independent scaffold inspection to high light any issues that you can then put right

A couple of pics would be handy if you want an opinion or two from the "helpful" members on this forum,,:D :D

Thanks for the replies.

I assume the HSE get involved if its a danger to the public, and they want to make sure a tall structure is sound. I will make contact by the time they require with photo's and tell them it follows Independent Tied Scaffold design.

All feet are on my side of the 'divide' between mine and my neighbours property - maybe the odd tube juts out a few inches my neighbours side - but barely.

Last edited:
Tbh m8 i wouldnt even bother to grt back to them.let them contact you by which time it will either be down or complient...always worth asking a local scaffold company to do a scaff check on it.once done and with your current pl insurance i would have thought they would leave u alone...maybe an idea to get some caps on any tube near the boundry

I'll get some caps on as you say, just to be safe, thanks.

A key factor is whether its a commercial job or a DIY job, as HSE have no powers over a DIY job, although I also would have thought any structure on a DIY job that endangered the public would be of concern to them.

Thanks for suggesting the scaff check, I might think of asking the company I bought the scaffold from.

Last edited:
No happy to, when I know the result of my reply to the HSE's letter.

Last edited:
They will have no real interest in getting involved with this, get in touch with them don't ignore them or you could well regret it.

They will not give you too hard a time if you are seen to be doing as much as you can, feck them about and they may designate it anything they like and hit you as hard as they like.

Thanks, ok, I'll reply and tell them its put up responsibly and with knowledge, I'll describe what it is (ie Independent Tied Scaffold, with 2 lifts to the eaves, round 3 sides of a semi), I'll admit its not certified- but that its a private scaffold for my sole use, ie no contractors (which it is) on private land.
Should I even give them a call, speak to the 'complaints officer' who sent me the letter.

Aye just ring 'complaints officer' and once he knows it's a private he'll lose all interest i would imagine;)

As usual what AOM says is probably best. As he knows I had a wee run in with HSE a while back and did as he said.

I call the HSE officer and was upfront and honest(ish) without hanging myself. They are not all out to get you as long as you show you are responsible and switched on.

At the moment I have noticed that contractors/hse seem to pay attention to ties. What ties have you used.

The other thing that sticks out for me is that they have written to you as opposed to a site visit or direct telephone call etc... If they get onto you ASAP then that would indicate they are worried enough to. As it was just a letter it probably not such a big deal so don't worry.

Neighbour :mad: Glad my last lot fu#@ed off. I got reported to the council.:amazed:

Im sure builders are alowd to build their own scaffold up to 5 metres.

Top Bottom