Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Self Build Scaffold - HSE Complaint

Thanks

I've been up several 'company erected' scaffolds round here, that run round 3 sides of a semi like mine, and they have no ties, which does seem odd - they are mostly 2 lifts to a height of 5.5 metre, why would they not have fitted them ?
    I can put some ties in (Ring with expanding bolt end), would 2 along each of the 3 walls be sufficient, you fix into the mortar not the brick with these - is that correct ?
    Last edited by extra180; 2nd July 2019 at 06:16 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,871 Times in 4,178 Posts

Just fit raking tubes set at an angle and tied back into your job. Best used in pairs so they are almost forming a buttress, one or two each side would be sufficient.

---------- Post added at 01:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:04 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by frederik View Post
    Im sure builders are alowd to build their own scaffold up to 5 metres.
    Only using system Frederik and even then they still need that daft BASE course as a minimum. They are still meant to follow the same rules as us.

Thanks

I've fitted rakers on front and back - tied back into the scaffold, cant do it on the side as thats where my neighbours house sits.
    At the rear I have a 3 metre span over a small 600mm extension on the kitchen, to span this I've made a beam that stretches between the two inner standards either side of the extension, to the right of the beam are 2 bays - to the left the scaffold returns and runs up the side of the property.
    Last edited by extra180; 2nd July 2019 at 06:15 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,325 Times in 802 Posts

Could add plan bracing Standard to standard with doubles

Don't take life Seriously -Its not Permanent.

Leones ducti asinis.

YOLO

Thanks
    Thanked 5,871 Times in 4,178 Posts

The plans would help but it is now starting to sound well pucker so in all honesty at that height I wouldn't bother. The swivels do allow some movement so if that's all it is I wouldn't bother but if you were really concerned you could change them out for doubles off the transoms instead but to be honest a bit of over kill. I would leave as is and let any visitor pick out 1 or 2 minor faults as they do like to find something.

Are you going to post a picture of the job?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 579 Posts

I would guess that the issue may be the proximity of the surrounding properties.
    You may find you are considered to be putting others outside your boundary in danger during either the erection or dismantle sequence.
    It may also be looked at like a railway job, where would in land if it fell over?

I am almost sure the HSE would have an input even to self build on private property as they have a duty of care to you as the end user. I cannot see that you being the only person you are endangering would obviate the need for them to protect you against yourself.

Stay well
    regards
    Alan

Thanks

Hi, I finally got around to emailing the HSE, sending pictures and informing them it was a DIY job, this was the simple reply I received back:

"As you are doing the work yourself, then the Health and Safety at Work Act and related regulations do not apply. This ends our interest in this project, however if you do engage contractors on the project then the appropriate regulations will apply."
    Last edited by extra180; 2nd July 2019 at 06:13 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to extra180 For This Useful Post:

Stella Fella (24th December 2012)

Thanks

I've seen a lot worse from people that actually call themselves scaffolders

Well done that man

Find me here www.jrscaffolding.co.uk
    Were also on Facebook

10. The Following User Says Thank You to scaffman1 For This Useful Post:

philliosmaximus (22nd December 2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,404 Times in 3,080 Posts

Looks sound to me as well and like scafman says seen a lot worse by scaffolders

Thanks
    Thanked 2,050 Times in 1,415 Posts

looks a pukka job m8 other than tranny's (tubes under boards) done need to be on doubbles just singles, if your gonna put trannys in on doubble its only in the bottom lift and under the ledger but again next lift will be singles other than that looks a very veyr tidy job for a brickie
    GOD MADE SCAFFOLDERS SO BRIKIES COULD HAVE HEROES

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast