Self Build Scaffold - HSE Complaint (3 Viewers)

I've been up several 'company erected' scaffolds round here, that run round 3 sides of a semi like mine, and they have no ties, which does seem odd - they are mostly 2 lifts to a height of 5.5 metre, why would they not have fitted them ?
I can put some ties in (Ring with expanding bolt end), would 2 along each of the 3 walls be sufficient, you fix into the mortar not the brick with these - is that correct ?

Last edited:
Just fit raking tubes set at an angle and tied back into your job. Best used in pairs so they are almost forming a buttress, one or two each side would be sufficient.

---------- Post added at 01:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:04 PM ----------

Im sure builders are alowd to build their own scaffold up to 5 metres.

Only using system Frederik and even then they still need that daft BASE course as a minimum. They are still meant to follow the same rules as us.

I've fitted rakers on front and back - tied back into the scaffold, cant do it on the side as thats where my neighbours house sits.
At the rear I have a 3 metre span over a small 600mm extension on the kitchen, to span this I've made a beam that stretches between the two inner standards either side of the extension, to the right of the beam are 2 bays - to the left the scaffold returns and runs up the side of the property.

Last edited:
The plans would help but it is now starting to sound well pucker so in all honesty at that height I wouldn't bother. The swivels do allow some movement so if that's all it is I wouldn't bother but if you were really concerned you could change them out for doubles off the transoms instead but to be honest a bit of over kill. I would leave as is and let any visitor pick out 1 or 2 minor faults as they do like to find something.

Are you going to post a picture of the job?

I would guess that the issue may be the proximity of the surrounding properties.
You may find you are considered to be putting others outside your boundary in danger during either the erection or dismantle sequence.
It may also be looked at like a railway job, where would in land if it fell over?

I am almost sure the HSE would have an input even to self build on private property as they have a duty of care to you as the end user. I cannot see that you being the only person you are endangering would obviate the need for them to protect you against yourself.

Stay well
regards
Alan

Hi, I finally got around to emailing the HSE, sending pictures and informing them it was a DIY job, this was the simple reply I received back:

"As you are doing the work yourself, then the Health and Safety at Work Act and related regulations do not apply. This ends our interest in this project, however if you do engage contractors on the project then the appropriate regulations will apply."

Last edited:
I've seen a lot worse from people that actually call themselves scaffolders

Well done that man

looks a pukka job m8 other than tranny's (tubes under boards) done need to be on doubbles just singles, if your gonna put trannys in on doubble its only in the bottom lift and under the ledger but again next lift will be singles other than that looks a very veyr tidy job for a brickie

A Scaffolding Messiah has been born he can even use a gin wheel by himself, Beam work a doddle

extra 180 have a look to see if the three wise men are outside your door along with a Shiny Star above your Scaffold.

We don’t need any scaffolding courses now? We will read his book and off we go. Save thousands of pounds. I hope you didn’t (bomb) the loading bay materials. Vertigo cured, he must be the Messiah.

This is how I see it, you can FOOL some of the people some of the time, but not all the people, all of the time.

And I am nobody’s fool.

Top Bottom