Training companies raping the industry! (1 Viewer)

Im Not Saying Anything Of The Sort Fred, What I Am Saying Is Maybe The Training Is All Right I Know For A Fact Any Training Iv Ever Had Was Spot On Mate, Maybe Its The Scaffolder In Question After All ,Its Not In My View About Selling Any Card We Are All Products Of Our Training After All Fred. What Was Wrong With The Old System ? Was There Any More Accidents Or Incorrectly Erected Scaffolds If There Were I For One Dont Remember Them Fred.

In my eyes an advanced scaffolder should be experienced in ALL aspects of scaffolding,and that includes an understanding of weight transfer,reaction as opposed to action,i.e. if i do this how does it effect other parts of the structure,how and when to use tawser lines,how to do dropper's,rakin shore's,flyin shore's,truss out's,heavy duty falsework all these things were done thinking on your feet without drawings in my day,and i still dont believe designers know more about real life scaffolding than a good old school advance scaff(just my opinion)even simple things like putting ties in,most just put them in blindly,how many look and think the ties are going to be stronger than the building front,therefore i need to build a job the other side to take the tie loadings(another feckin design)the list is endless and can only be learned through many years of real life situations,not taught in two weeks in a training centre under sterile conditions,a good start,yes,but only a start,we need to get back to basic's,our trade is no longer our own,all the experience of everyone on here combined is of no use now because were told how to do the feckin job by people who mostly have never held a spanner in their live's,maybe we should scrap the advance scaffolder title and rename it advance follower of drawing's ticket:(

I think were on the same side here gers, I did learn the old way,with scaffs that taught as we worked, I dont recall any accidents in all the years Iwas in the game. What I did know was you couldnt wing it with the older blokes. Tell you straight your in the wrong game son. Something that a course provider wont say or wont pre assess. Fill up the courses and pass you out with a qualification. Its just wrong.

You Are Right Fred, I Was Lucky I Suppose, I Started Before It Was All Drawings And Insurance Policies My Chargehand Was A Fabulous Bloke Who Would Show You How To Do Things (Louie Duncan) Good Man And Its His Ethos I Always Carried With Me.(Train Your Trainee)

In my eyes an advanced scaffolder should be experienced in ALL aspects of scaffolding,and that includes an understanding of weight transfer,reaction as opposed to action,i.e. if i do this how does it effect other parts of the structure,how and when to use tawser lines,how to do dropper's,rakin shore's,flyin shore's,truss out's,heavy duty falsework all these things were done thinking on your feet without drawings in my day,and i still dont believe designers know more about real life scaffolding than a good old school advance scaff(just my opinion)even simple things like putting ties in,most just put them in blindly,how many look and think the ties are going to be stronger than the building front,therefore i need to build a job the other side to take the tie loadings(another feckin design)the list is endless and can only be learned through many years of real life situations,not taught in two weeks in a training centre under sterile conditions,a good start,yes,but only a start,we need to get back to basic's,our trade is no longer our own,all the experience of everyone on here combined is of no use now because were told how to do the feckin job by people who mostly have never held a spanner in their live's,maybe we should scrap the advance scaffolder title and rename it advance follower of drawing's ticket:(
words of truth and of wisdom indeed bf be great to take a bit back just like you say,just last week i had a call from a guy who said cape allow him to do nothing without a drawing he seemed fed up with it all.

And that post by BF is the most consice and accurate assessment I have read in a while,puts my rant into the hysterical catagorie. Good views from all. Long live the power of debate.

You Are Right Fred, I Was Lucky I Suppose, I Started Before It Was All Drawings And Insurance Policies My Chargehand Was A Fabulous Bloke Who Would Show You How To Do Things (Louie Duncan) Good Man And Its His Ethos I Always Carried With Me.(Train Your Trainee)

Well known Dundee scaffolder, some excellent scaffs from Dundee.

Did You Know Louie Simian? He Was My Chargehand When I Started With Gkn Mills In Perrie Street In Dundee.

Did You Know Louie Simian? He Was My Chargehand When I Started With Gkn Mills In Perrie Street In Dundee.

I do mate, I know his son, son in law, Chung, Barry cuthill and Tim Carr from there. His wife passed on not so long ago, I was at cape offshore with them.

---------- Post added at 02:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:08 PM ----------

He was offshore on the forties with a lot of old fleetwood scaffs as well for gkn

All Good Men, All With Cape. I Never Knew Margret Had Died Thats News To Me,Im Sorry To Hear That. She Was A Good Woman.

speed does come into it, but todays trainees seem to lack the ability to "read the job". when I'm labouring (does happen sometimes, even to a man of my skill and wisdom!;-)!) the bloke I'm labouring for doens't have to ask for anything, it's there in my hand waiting for him to take it off me. all you get now is "what do you want next?" - you should fookin know what I want. they pass you ledgers before the doubles are on, trannies before they have given you the clips - I asked a kid for doubles the other day and he come back with 1 - WTF!!!! i as scaffolding is a lot more about rules and regs now, you should have a proper apprenticeship where the kids go to college one day a week like chippes and brickies do!

I remember once a labrador that was with us was asked to go and prepare thirty 6foot tubes for the next job. When we got there, no sign of the tubes. Cant find one he says, whys that he was asked, biggest I could find was 21foot long..................................................:p

their seems to be alot of this going on especially in plumbing, i am doing a course myself(2 years), what other way is their?

you might be right there WATTY as we are due another bad winter so a lot of burst pipes.dont make any comment on bursting scaffs pipes or you will be banned by the all new 14 strong moderation department

With more training than ever before, how come standards are as low as I have ever seen them. I'm working with a bloke, who is so incompetent he's downright dangerous. He's already caused one near miss on-site and has announced today that he's off next week to do his advanced course, which he is paying for himself - He isn't fit to have a basic card never mind an advanced card.

No doubt he will pass his course (let's face it, have you ever heard of anyone failing) and will be "qualified" to sign jobs off. I'm not a vindictive person by any stretch of the imagination, but this bloke will end up either seriously injuring or killing somebody. It's about time the training system was shaken up so you can only book a course on recommendation of a company or a qualified individual.

I also believe that each person on the course should have an individual other assessment rather than just passing gear to the blokes in the gang who know what they are doing. the National construction college and its affiliates should be hanging their heads in shame at some of the doughnuts they are turning out in the pursuit of a few quid!
he probabley needs a bit of experience, we all had to start somewhere

Top Bottom