Life span of Harness's

spannerman

Reaction score
OK chaps need to know-

1) The life span of a harness
2) The life span of a Lanyard
3) How long does a harness inspectors ticket last
The reason for the last question is I did a course a few years back but the company I worked for then didnt give me any certificate's when I left and now they dont exist.

OK chaps need to know-

1) The life span of a harness
2) The life span of a Lanyard
3) How long does a harness inspectors ticket last
The reason for the last question is I did a course a few years back but the company I worked for then didnt give me any certificate's when I left and now they dont exist.

Should be dated on the harness and lanyard I'm sure? Or until you find a fault.

I didn't realise there was such a thing as harness inspectors. It's a scaffolders duty to inspect his own harness every time he puts it on, why does someone else need to inspect it?

Should be dated on the harness and lanyard I'm sure? Or until you find a fault.

I didn't realise there was such a thing as harness inspectors. It's a scaffolders duty to inspect his own harness every time he puts it on, why does someone else need to inspect it?

The manufactures date is on the harness but not the end by date
Yes scaff should inspect before use but you must have at least a 6 month (sometimes three months if in more frequent use) inspection by other competent person and all should be recorded .

5 years max and don't think the ticket does run out just need to be competent.

---------- Post added at 08:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 PM ----------

Should have said 5 years from manufacture date. If any information is missing from the tag it should be scrapped.

Thanks aom just wanted clarification on what I heard today, I didnt know about the life span but our MD knew about it a week ago and hasnt done any thing about it, it means ALL our lads harness's are out of date!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Thanks aom just wanted clarification on what I heard today, I didnt know about the life span but our MD knew about it a week ago and hasnt done any thing about it, it means ALL our lads harness's are out of date!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

We are the exact opposite, I have thrown away a load off perfectly good harnesses until we got the training and now do all the inspections ourselves. The only real failures we get now are when the labels wear or tear.

They last forever if you leave them in the bag :p

Thats why they still look like new after 10 years:laugh:

---------- Post added at 09:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 PM ----------

We are the exact opposite, I have thrown away a load off perfectly good harnesses until we got the training and now do all the inspections ourselves. The only real failures we get now are when the labels wear or tear.

I have done the inspections on this firm for the last seven years so gonna have some fun tomorrow when he finds out I know and tell all lads not to leave the ground,

But to top it off I have a pre -let meeting tomorrow and reading there spec today they want WEEKLY RECORDED inspections and this on a building site:mad:
And they want warning tape yes red and white tape on standards in doorways:mad::

Fecking time to get out of this once brilliant job!

my harness on a part is folded over on is self and has a label stitched in indicating if the labels gone the harness i no use the harness b4 didnt have a label so does this mean it had been used lol and if i was to be given a harness with out knowing what i know now with the label how could i be sure it hasnt take a fall or the like if its like phills still in the wrapper lol , isnt the used by date on a landyard engraved on the hook ?

Not in any I have seen, it's usually behind the plastic covering the brake, the harness is usually on the back of a body strap.

But to top it off I have a pre -let meeting tomorrow and reading there spec today they want WEEKLY RECORDED inspections and this on a building site:mad:
And they want warning tape yes red and white tape on standards in doorways:mad::

Fecking time to get out of this once brilliant job!

The site I'm on needs daily harness inspection signed off.

And they want doorways cut out. I've always found that weird they rant and rave at stuff they don't understand.... then demand we take a disc cutter to the scaffold on the base lift while blokes load it out (more often than not over loading) and work off it a lift or 2 above...?

We have seen that and worse Flinty but daily inspections FFS. We do ours around every 3 months maybe a bit less.

---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 PM ----------

The user does it daily but a thorough check all signed off every 3 months.

Not in any I have seen, it's usually behind the plastic covering the brake, the harness is usually on the back of a body strap.

ill have a quick look tomoz i havent noticed the date on my newer harness's lanyard it was on my old miller lanyad hook that it had the date on it

A better idea to be honest as the plastic tags do eventually wear, don't think I have ever managed to keep a harness 5 years simply because of the tag.

Im Still Using My Old Interserve Harness From 2001, Still Does The Job.

Mmm, hse gone mad I know Gerscaff but it may not and it would be too late when you find out. £70 gets you a new one. Don't mean to sound condescending.

So True Matey, Iv Got A Brand New Miller Harness In The Van Just Never Took It Out The Box,(Wrong Colour) Lol

So True Matey, Iv Got A Brand New Miller Harness In The Van Just Never Took It Out The Box,(Wrong Colour) Lol

aye if ya like the rest of the gaffers on here you wont of put a harness and spanners on for years maby russ could have his way with ya in the harness thow gers ;):laugh:

Scaff Who Said Anything About Me Being A Gaffer ? Im A Very Much On The Spanners Subbie Mate. As For Young Russ Im Sure He Is a Lovely Fella And All That But, Im Not Into Blokes Mate, (Like In Blazing Saddles Aw Mongo Straight ) Hope That Clears That Up.

I think I've got a harness behind me seat in the wagon with a bit of old rope hanging off it...well I think it's still there...

Top Bottom