Beams up right way?

hopper68

Reaction score
Before I start I'm not looking for an argument. I had posted a picture of a hanging scaffold using the friction clamps with the use of the layher beams. A few of the lads seem to think the beams are the wrong way up? Well I have took a few pics of drawings and the end of a beam. I have 300 of these beams onsite
and they all have an information sticker ,every beam has these stickers on the end rung and they are all on the same up. So I don't think they would be putting these stickers on upside down? Do you not think....also check the beams on the drawings there is 2 hangers and 1 lifting frame.

Like I said not trying to cause an argument

Last edited:
? This is part 2 stuff.

Surely you had a lesson in regards of this.

? This is part 2 stuff.

Surely you had a lesson in regards of this.

yeha i know the diffrence between compression and tension just your reply to it was ''compression and tension' does this mean the beam allways goes like in the 1st picture weather its bridged compression top or canterleaver compression bottom

I posted this due to a couple lads saying the beams were the wrong way up in another post. Here's The beams are the same way as all the drawings

Last edited:
I posted this due to a couple lads saying the beams were the wrong way up in another post. Here's the pic.
51849c82eff6e8dc5fb8ed4137d8fed0.jpg
The beams are the same way as all the drawings

Question is : Has the designer got them the correct way on the drawing. I've caught a few out over the last few years.
So that could lead us onto " who audits the designers." ?

Well I have been in the game a while and caught a few out myself but I don't think they have beam wrong ....the designs above were done by 2 different design engineers?

Last edited:
its only when you join them the beams that the join points to the sky

Id say the beams upside down , whos the designer - we have had more then 5 designs of different firms with beams drawn wrong way up ??

Who audits the designer is a very good point raised by steve - think this has been mentioned on linkedin as well

well the job looks neat and tidy hooper 68 thats the main thing m8!!!

What defines the competency of the designer! Oh yes a HNC in engineering.

**** off!

Ar you being ripped off could this be case for watchdog on rogue traders?

---------- Post added at 09:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 PM ----------

So when you hire a designer do you check his/her competency?

---------- Post added at 09:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 PM ----------

Do they follow bsen12811 or bs5975?

Check price, insurance and availability. In that order.

The mans jobs are mint and to the drawing, they are probably upside down but are we not over reacting a wee bit?

Usually only hire ones that i know or are ex deborah sgb etc
Theres quiet a few new entrants appearing now anyone with ruler and crayons

Ar we **** Aom I could tell you about a story in Leeds a few years ago where the bridge was seriously bowing because of this.

Top Bottom