nasc on impact wrenches (3 Viewers)

hemper

Reaction score
Impact Wrenches

The NASC has been asked to comment on the use of impact wrenches during the erection/dismantling of scaffold.

The NASC would advise members as follows:

The recommended force needed to tighten a fitting is 50 N/mtr as stated in EN 74. Some wrenches have a minimum setting that is greater than this recommended figure. Therefore there is a risk that a fitting could be over tightened causing damage to the fitting if the wrench is used to its extreme.

Members should note that the use of impact wrenches should be the same as other items of plant and this should entail a period of training, familiarisation and monitoring, to ensure that the wrench is being used in the correct manner at all times.

It should also be noted that during the latter stages of battery life the wrenches may in some cases give insufficient force to adequately tighten fittings.

The NASC recognises that these wrenches do offer certain benefits, including speed and reduction of potential RSI problems but would advise members and users of such equipment that there is a potential for concern over the use and operation and as such each member should adequately access the risk for their own particular situation and ensure that they put in place protocols to cover and ensure safe use.

a.Assessment
b.Training
c.Familiarisation
d.Monitoring

The NASC will keep this matter open and issue more information as it becomes available.

All very well, but the NASC isnt the scaffolders ruling body for this country, though I should imagine they very much like to be.

Only the same as a human arm with a spanner. Some scaffs have a stronger arm than others, as some IW's are more powerful than other makes.

Are the NASC trying to push for yet more training in order to line someone elses pockets at the expense of the individual scaff or small firm owner?
Food for thought.

like you said my man. yet more cost to us on bloody training. how many more cards does the industry want us to hold, when will it all stop

like you said my man. yet more cost to us on bloody training. how many more cards does the industry want us to hold, when will it all stop
As long as theres money to be made out of us Hemper, it WONT!
It cost me enough for the wrench (nearly £400 with holster) and if anyone tells me I need training to use it they will be told in no uncertain terms where to go.
;)

With wear and tear I was slowing down rapidly after over 30 years on the spanner, but this wrench has probably added another 5 years to my working life if need be.

The training and stuff like inspection would come under the haswa and puwer, so you would have to show that you have been shown how to use them and that they're inspected and stuff

Just out of curiousity;
Does a joiner have to be trained to use a cordless drill?
Does a plasterer have to be trained to use a cordless drill?
Does a joiner have to be trained to use a cordless nail gun?
Does a scaffolder have to be trained to use a cordless recep saw?
In regards to overkill, this health and safety is getting ridiculous It stinks of money..

Yes to all the above, and yes health and safety is getting ridiculous now

They released this a while ago now. From what's been said to me, NASC have no intention of getting involved with the issue of IWs.

Top Bottom