Pl insurance (1 Viewer)

transom

Reaction score
Who is best company for good value pl insurance for one man bands who has got to swap over from page to cis hence now need pl insurance. Any help on cost and amount of cover needed would be greatly appreciated cheers

I just got a policy with simply business found them cheap for myself

I started up 4 months ago and I went with glenham insurance,5 million quid cover,cheap but not the cheapest

1 mill should be enough for a sole trader though unless you are hoping to pick up things like council work.

Sounds quite hard to beat I would imagine.

---------- Post added at 07:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 PM ----------

As long as it's with a rated outfit.

PL cover for £5mil indemnity would be circa £550.00 plus tax

How could u possilbly give the guy a quote like that without knowing his turnover.job types & poss height/ demo /spec stand restriction etc.... not very professional and possilbly a little missleading me thinks

Cheeper isnt always the best my friend as promises are only relative to the companies ability to pay out when u claim ... we've used bjp underwritten by farraday and have always found them competative and fair

Last edited:
have you got contact details for the company you use southernpoofter?

How could u possilbly give the guy a quote like that without knowing his turnover.job types & poss height/ demo /spec stand restriction etc.... not very professional and possilbly a little missleading me thinks

Cheeper isnt always the best my friend as promises are only relative to the companies ability to pay out when u claim ... we've used bjp underwritten by farraday and have always found them competative and fair

My apologies for any confusion - we have not given a quote but have provided a rough idea of what he could expect to pay, based on the information he has given. Public Liability only for a Scaffolder, one man band. rule of thumb price is £550 plus tax for £5mil cover. No height restrictions. No works exclusions. As we are not forum sponsors i cannot push for more information or advertise our service, therefore did not enquire further for more details.
I thought it'd be best to give the guy an idea which might assist him.
I think you'll find the price given is pretty much in the right ballpark.

Faraday which is underwritten by INK Insurance (via BJP) is a very good policy and has been at the forefront of insurance for a number of years and i agree they are one of the top insurers around. However one point is any insurer will pay a claim provided it is covered under the policy purchased.
for example if the policy states risk assessments are undertaken for each contract however you use a generic one; this might allow the insurer to kick our the claim - for example.
Any insurer in the current marketplace provided they are recognised by the FSA in the UK are worthy of being considered.

make sure you get a british / english underwriter a few years ago we used an none uk underwriter but the bigger firms wouldnt touch us we changed after the info filtered through it has stood us in good sted INK/Faraday underwrite ours and though we have changed brokers the underwriters have remained the same

make sure you get a british / english underwriter a few years ago we used an none uk underwriter but the bigger firms wouldnt touch us we changed after the info filtered through it has stood us in good sted INK/Faraday underwrite ours and though we have changed brokers the underwriters have remained the same

Unfortunately this is the case - although the insurer may have been suitable to your needs and would have paid any claim; some of the larger construction companies refuse to accept them on site as a sub contractors insurer.

If you look at the NASC and construction companies not accepting a firm if not NASC members - this is almost on the same principal.....

The people to watch are the brokers, you need to ensure that all of the information provided to the broker has been passed to the underwriter. Brokers will sometimes withhold information or massage turnover and employment figures to get you a nice cheap quote, and them the business, leaving you not covered in the event of a claim.

Would you recommend simply biz? I'm with northern alliance who are a good broker, but just want to see if I could get a cheaper deal. just a bit worried that I may miss something & be underinsured or something!?

I went on the anglia site 7 they seem to point to GB insurance website. Bit confused there so went with northern alliance brokers. can call them on 01924 232910

Top Bottom