Self Builder - 1st time question. (1 Viewer)

extra180

Reaction score
Hi,

I am a self builder looking to erect my own scaffolding around a 1930's semi detached house, I have some basic knowledge and diagrams from 'Scaftag' to help me work to some sort of a standard.

I have been offered standard diameter (48.3mm) tube, but it is only 8ft lengths, I am considering buying some 'sleeves' and joining tubing as I go up, probably 3 lots of 8ft will do me.

I am looking to build a platform over the front garden and have material dropped up there by the delivery trucks crane, hence my concern over using shorter lengths I guess it would require a lot more 'braces' ?

Am I thinking right - or is something amis - and hence why the 8ft tube is cheap. Any other advice also - for a first timer.

Thanks

hi,

i am a self builder looking to erect my own scaffolding around a 1930's semi detached house, i have some basic knowledge and diagrams from 'scaftag' to help me work to some sort of a standard.

I have been offered standard diameter (48.3mm) tube, but it is only 8ft lengths, i am considering buying some 'sleeves' and joining tubing as i go up, probably 3 lots of 8ft will do me.

I am looking to build a platform over the front garden and have material dropped up there by the delivery trucks crane, hence my concern over using shorter lengths i guess it would require a lot more 'braces' ?

Am i thinking right - or is something amis - and hence why the 8ft tube is cheap. Any other advice also - for a first timer.

Thanks

leave it to the expert its not just a case of knocking it up marra (system scaffold you can after 2 days training) but tube and fitting its a science may look easy but theres lots of calculations cm2 cm3 cm4 cm5 youll never of herd of cm5 no as your not a scaff the cm5 allows us to build scaffold to a simple calculation which is a trade secrete whic cost 1,200 at a training centre my advise is get that silly idea out of you heed and employ a companie to do it for you maby some 1 near you on here could give you a quote but seriously its not just a case of turning a bolt you could be putting some 1's life at risk m8

I'll sell you a thousand joint pins old matey. That will make it nice and strong!

loading bay out of 8fts. You need a design. Find a local scaff company, may be cheaper than you think.

Hi,

I am a self builder looking to erect my own scaffolding around a 1930's semi detached house, I have some basic knowledge and diagrams from 'Scaftag' to help me work to some sort of a standard.

I have been offered standard diameter (48.3mm) tube, but it is only 8ft lengths, I am considering buying some 'sleeves' and joining tubing as I go up, probably 3 lots of 8ft will do me.

I am looking to build a platform over the front garden and have material dropped up there by the delivery trucks crane, hence my concern over using shorter lengths I guess it would require a lot more 'braces' ?

Am I thinking right - or is something amis - and hence why the 8ft tube is cheap. Any other advice also - for a first timer.

Thanks

Please forgive my frankness, you are neither qualified nor capable of building a loading tower in safety. That’s what Scaffolders are for.
If someone is offering you a load of 8’s it is more than likely they are stolen and you are inviting yet more problems.
It would take far to long to explain why but you need to call a reputable local company and have this done for you.

Take the boys advice,and employ the proper guys,if god forbid something went wrong,you would end up in the nick,not worth risking life and limb(someone else's)just to save a couple of quid;)

Extra180 Please take note of Alan Reade's comment. Alan is one of the most accomplished design engineers on the forum and will give you accurate expert advice. No more needs to be said.

I think I should have omitted the 'Any other advice also - for a first timer.' LOL.

A few doors up is an identical development in progress, I've observed and noted how the scaffolding is put together, in fact the builders have let me come up and take a look around. If I specify the same type of scaffold tube and fittings as they have - build it exactly as they have, I cant see there to be too many issues.
My question was ... if I build it out of 8ft tube would there be any issues simply by joining the uprights with 'sleeves'.

I think I should have omitted the 'Any other advice also - for a first timer.' LOL.

A few doors up is an identical development in progress, I've observed and noted how the scaffolding is put together, in fact the builders have let me come up and take a look around. If I specify the same type of scaffold tube and fittings as they have - build it exactly as they have, I cant see there to be too many issues.
My question was ... if I build it out of 8ft tube would there be any issues simply by joining the uprights with 'sleeves'.

Suit yourself

---------- Post added at 11:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 AM ----------

Extra180 Please take note of Alan Reade's comment. Alan is one of the most accomplished design engineers on the forum and will give you accurate expert advice. No more needs to be said.

Thanks for the reach round the monies in the post LOL

Go ahead and have a go mate. How hard can it be? Its only a simple meccano set for grown up boys.
The only issue I could see building it out of 8 ft tube would be when you try and work out how your going to stagger your standards and ledgers!

Are you thinking of using beams, what impact loadings do you envisage?

personally id use the new splurge valves with discumbobulators for nurdling the casak weights ;)

on the chance this isnt a wind up for purely cost ,let alone if some poor bugger is stood under your self build platform when it collapses,give your money to people who know what they are doing,and sit back and bask in the glory that will be a fine job well made,that you can take the credit for and even say you did it to the mrs and didnt break a sweat !

Last edited:
Of course you would but the casak's should be to european standard as the old BSI ones have been known to fail. But you know this anyway.

agreed,did find that the splurge valves tended to need ripsnurd attachments ,also do you know of anywhere i can buy a bubble for my spirit level,got a load with some sky hooks a few years ago but cant find em :D

It will be fine mate , just make sure you dont over tighten the doubles ( that be the clips that join the poles ) in fact they are better left a bit loose as this will allow it to collapse almost the instant you load it , instead of giving you false hope that its strong enough and collapsing when you have a good load on it Them sleeves you are on about will need to be welded if your going to use 8 foot tubes , and the welds will need to be certified , also you will need to dig the sole boards in to at least 30cm in the ground , as this distributes the weight a lot more evenly ;)

ahhh forgot the old ways,cant beat a bit of old school sole pad trenching,nowadays though they say build it then dig the pads under,how we used to make things hard :idea:

Top Bottom