Self employed scaffs paying there own public liability ins???? (1 Viewer)

kent_scaff

Reaction score
I am currently paying 2% of my earnings each week on top of my 20% tax.
To pay my own public liability.

I am self employed but constantly work for the same scaffold firm.

PPE wise, They provide us with hard hats & hi vi's and the odd t shirt or jumper.
But Harnesses footwear etc is down to us, fair enough but surely we should be covered under there public liability else all us scaffs are paying it for them and more no doubt?

Nearly all the work is building sites by the way,
whats the score where do I stand here?

As your self employed,I would think harnesses would come under personal equipment,something you maintain yourself,If you hold your own public liability,you may not have to pay the 2%. Im paid thru an umbrella company fixed fee £3.wk .2% seems a bit on the steep side.

Yes there are companies that operate that system generally because of the amount insurance costs if your happy there whats the problem you can claim in your tax refund

If you are working for the same scaffold firm for more than 12 weeks you are classed as one of their direct employees:amazed:, unless they are a labour agency:mad:

and you are entitled to the benefits, Holiday Pay PPE etc.:idea:

If your using their materials on one of their contracts, they should be providing the insurance EL & PL

It is true, you should be working under your employers liability but it works both ways as really you should be on the books and I would think some time in the future this will all end in tears for someone.

Top Bottom