Offshore Mythes

poacher turned gamekeeper

Reaction score
Alright lads having done 5 trips and about To embark on my 6th on Tuesday (sick as a hedgehog on the M6) I can honestly say that the standard of scaffording offshore is not any better than blue book or on the street. it's a young mans game who can hang by is ******** for 30 mins at a time as the rest is spent in the t shack. The supervisors haven't even heard of SG4 10 or the step:p

It's all done professionally with over the side cover, however towers are built using inertia block harnesses with not even SG405 guardrail provisions.

The big dog NASC ain't made any inroads in this high hazard industry:p

If it ain't broke don't fix it springs to mind:idea:

I have been saying that for years PTG, some of the worst jobs I have seen were out there. I kind of understand why they are not using a step as there is so much over side work but that's no excuse for the bags of knitting you reguarly see out there.

They reckon once you passed your 5th trip the novelty would have worn off and it turns into a nightmare as you have to hit the wall so to speak but when you do you will slide into a routine. Are you a lifer now or is it a quick fix?

Quick fix AOM I have got a start in Methyl onshore with offshore trips Nepotism an old mate of mine well mentor has headhunter me! Better cash more days pay 3 nights in your own bed. 2.5 hours drive went last week for interview. Loads of w@h that's what I have been drafted in. 300 men starting in a fab shop sharpish the PTG is jock land bound!!!

---------- Post added at 07:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:49 PM ----------

It's been a good experience AOM however it has done nothing to dispell my views on the H&S game they are some big carpets and good sweeper upers out there. Stats are stats mate there to manipulate. Was surprised by the living conditions **** on the dutch barge that I am on foods a staple diet of pork gyms ok no treats and wi fis crap! Cash is great tho and the first can well you get out of rehab is heaven!

What's the money like north sea versus Dutch sector take home?

it can be a bit more , if u can get 23 euros an hour(18;50 pounds , your looking at £222 per day £1554 per week £3100 for 2 weeks , however most mobs are not paying tax for you , so u have to be a bit clever with your declared earnings for the taxman ,, one agency was based in dubai and tax was paid at 8% , years of this kind of work does catch up with you , due to lack of NI payments

all in all its probably not much better , at least in britain u have no worries of your tax and ni being paid

was thinking if this was to work if going off shore and having residence in isle of man and as you not on uk soil for more than 182 days then you wouldent need to be uk taxed is that possible or with the firm your on would they automatically uk tax you regardless of your residencey

good question , another one is would one of those companys let u be self employed , working for them as a one man sub-contractor , therefore being paid all monies and handling tax and NI yourself , i very much doubt it

was thinking if this was to work if going off shore and having residence in isle of man and as you not on uk soil for more than 182 days then you wouldent need to be uk taxed is that possible or with the firm your on would they automatically uk tax you regardless of your residencey[/

Good question. If you pay tax depending on the nationality of the firm then in the Dutch sector you'd be Paying Dutch tax if in that country for x amount of time yes,!!?:blink:

if u have a Sofi-Nummer , the dutch national insurance number , you can ask them to pay it in holland

so its nothing to do with your residence but the companies residence

Yeh but if you were out of the country for 6 months or whatever the cut off line is would you be tax void regardless of the companies origin? Good chance you would me thinks:

Yeh but if you were out of the country for 6 months or whatever the cut off line is would you be tax void regardless of the companies origin? Good chance you would me thinks:

thats waht i was thinking and its 182 days but need to find out it that 182 days counts when off shore in the uk sector to wards being in the country for 6 mounths if not then you are like you say tax void whats the pay like off shore b4 tax;):laugh:

Yeh like if you worked 2 weeks then left the country 3 weeks if it was a 2/3 rotation then youd be out of the country most the time and tax void surely. Some lads I hear live in Spain n the likes maybe they can shed more light on it. Think ur looking at about £2900 pre tax mate.

i was allways under the impresion that it was 2200 after tax so surly more than 2.900 do you not get a retainer when your off or is that with in the 2,900

i was allways under the impresion that it was 2200 after tax so surly more than 2.900 do you not get a retainer when your off or is that with in the 2,900

I don't know mate just guessing but would like to know coz just finished my BOSIET & mist plus medical with Dutch sector so good to go. Plus I'm looking at leaving the country if I land a job. Make a big difference if u could dodge the tax lol

lol good thinking jimmy carr lol nar if i could get off ad be out of the uk and was looking at isle of mana as social workers out there are on 50-70 a year so would mean really earyl retiremnts and on to weeks off just plod on with a larl van fitting bathrooms lol ow the english mans dream lol

lol good thinking jimmy carr lol nar if i could get off ad be out of the uk and was looking at isle of mana as social workers out there are on 50-70 a year so would mean really earyl retiremnts and on to weeks off just plod on with a larl van fitting bathrooms lol ow the english mans dream lol

Apparently some people are living that dream, well that's what I've heard anyhow.why couldn't you leave on ur 2 off once ur on core Crüe. U got to think the dream to achieve it. Fickin hell life would be a drag without some dreams going on.Goodnight off to dream land

Top Bottom