The NASC has been asked to comment on the use of impact wrenches 15/ 06/2012 (2 Viewers)

TEESSIDE SCAFFOLDER

Reaction score
Impact Wrenches

The NASC has been asked to comment on the use of impact wrenches during the erection/dismantling of scaffold.

The NASC would advise members as follows:

The recommended force needed to tighten a fitting is 50 N/mtr as stated in EN 74. Some wrenches have a minimum setting that is greater than this recommended figure. Therefore there is a risk that a fitting could be over tightened causing damage to the fitting if the wrench is used to its extreme.
Members should note that the use of impact wrenches should be the same as other items of plant and this should entail a period of training, familiarisation and monitoring, to ensure that the wrench is being used in the correct manner at all times.
It should also be noted that during the latter stages of battery life the wrenches may in some cases give insufficient force to adequately tighten fittings.
The NASC recognises that these wrenches do offer certain benefits, including speed and reduction of potential RSI problems but would advise members and users of such equipment that there is a potential for concern over the use and operation and as such each member should adequately access the risk for their own particular situation and ensure that they put in place protocols to cover and ensure safe use.

a.Assessmentb.Training c.Familiarisationd.MonitoringThe NASC will keep this matter open and issue more information as it becomes available.

this a go ahead by nasc but do it propperly aom will be heel clicking all the way to the yard mon monrn lol

I am writing a risk/method as we speak.:noworry:

send me a copy when you get time will you,such a riviting topic of discussion the nasc are telling us what has been pointed out on this forum over a year ago.

You think that's bad, did you not read my thread on scaffs refreshers or even the need to go for training before they even give you a green card now?

lol no.....well not yet but a dare say if you throw in another post bring it up ill have a wee quote or two.....mind you ill only be boosting your post count in doing so,liked big fishes comment "did the guy pull up on a jet ski"lol

I second Swift, who asked it? Seems like a lot of people here have been asking that for ages and no response....

Top Bottom