Impact wrench banning by the NASC? (1 Viewer)

Hi Joebag
no correct torque is not semantics and its not a matter of trusting guys to do the right thing because clearly they are not at the moment. If your IW has no adjustment for torque or is a fixed preset at 30Nm then the wrong thing is already being done.

With regards the stress applied to couplers on a day to day basis the stress created by overstressing the bolt is a way bigger problem.

Always happy to try and answer questions but not sure I can answer them all adequatley

It looks like another feather in the cap for the system scaffolding fan club.

You obviously haven't used them much Jim as we have found the average scaffolder tighten's their fittings more with a swing over. It is possible to over tighten them but I would get bored long before that was achieved.

---------- Post added at 04:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:16 PM ----------

A bit premature Swifty.

I am sorry guys,

I can not see the appeal in this impact wrench,why would anyone want to drag that thing around,the amount of pressure this machine would put on the fitting and tube would be over the top from what i have seen,maybe there is a place for this when useing unit beams,what happens if the next gang that comes to strike your job only has a scaffold spanner,will they be able to undo the fittings,maybe I am old fashioned but for 25 years a spanner has done me so far.Make materials lighter,stronger,come up with a smaller hoist option instead of rope and wheel,Better conditions and wages for all scaffolders,.......BUT THIS,NOT FOR ME EVER.

I've also been the game for over 20yrs Jim, but untill you have actually used one you will not understand how much easier it makes the job. If you like myself have been grafting on price work going home with the aches and pains from repetitive strain injurys you would value the use of this tool. In my experience you do not tighten fittings that makes it anymore differcult to strike using a swing over.
I have experiences no negatives at all bar taking the odd nut to far when stripping but with a little experience this doesn't happen.
The Impact wrench is the way forward, in time a scaffolder will have battery powered IW and recip saw as part of there site kit, we would still be traveling by horse and cart if everybody had negative opinions about new tools ect..

Try one out mate.

Wait until they start to look at how much pressure should be applied to do up a Cuplok cup!!
A couple of taps with the end of your spanner may not be adequate????

Wait until they start to look at how much pressure should be applied to do up a Cuplok cup!!

whats the score with layher then wen am put on it and i got on it lol you come to strip some jobs and 2 of the lads have got a 14lbs mash hammer i crnt get it out with me half inch shaft(not that kind of shaft but can understand whay you would think it :embarrest::laugh:) and end up maby getting a 4ft round out and having to hit it with that about 5/6 times to loosent it

5 taps with a light hammer, I think that is what my trainer said.:embarrest:

5 taps with a light hammer, I think that is what my trainer said.:embarrest:

Its only three taps in the south but we're tough in London :nuts:

If you read the SGB Cuplok users manual it states " Tighten with a hammer blow" indicating we are both soft!!

Last edited:
haha, you may be right Alan but Generation recommend 5 light blows with their podger/hammer, any more than that and the head falls off. Maybe it's your hammers that are tougher in the South, have you had them calibrated and do they come with a certificate of conformity?

my opinion is the iw gives a more average torque through out a job as we all know when rigging handrails you don't do the front up as tight as you would on the ledger, as well as on brace the amount of time when stripping others jobs the double on the brace is loose, the touque setting on a spanner comes with experience same as iw in my opinion there a great addition to our tools if you don't try you'll never know how easier it makes our job plus extra money with no extra graft if on price

Top Bottom