No margin for pay rises, employers tell unions

TEESSIDE SCAFFOLDER

Reaction score
No margin for pay rises, employers tell unions

30 May, 2012 | By Luke Cross

Employers have refused a pay rise for construction workers because they say industry faces more cutbacks, redundancies and liquidations – and companies are trading at negative margins “just to try and stay afloat”.

Unions have criticised employers after the initial meeting of the 2012 Construction Industry Joint Council pay talks last Wednesday.

The meeting of the CIJC - the largest construction industry agreement covering the pay and terms of conditions of up to 500,000 workers – sees unions including Ucatt round the table with employers’ associations, including the UK Contractors Group, the Home Builders Federation and the National Access Scaffolding Confederation.

The unions also demanded holiday pay and increased travel expenses. But the employers’ response - seen by Construction News - paints a desperate picture.

It says: “Some companies are tendering at negative margins just to try to stay afloat and employers are of the view that the emphasis should be on sustainable employment outcomes, including the preservation of jobs.”

It adds: “Having regard to the dire outlook, employers cannot make any offer of an increase in pay rates in these most difficult of times.”

However, Steve Murphy, General Secretary of construction union UCATT, said: “Unions and construction workers have been treated with complete contempt as the employers’ side have offered absolutely nothing on any of the proposals the joint unions put forward in their pay claim.”

Unite and the GMB said employers are seeking to maintain their profits at the expense of hard working construction workers, who have suffered low pay for too long.

Gerry Lean, employers’ secretary to the CIJC, said they have worked with the unions to introduce pension arrangements that are “superior” to the government’s auto-enrolment requirements and also improve accident and life cover provisions provided under the CIJC agreement.

He said: “Employers totally refute the allegation that the response to the latest pay and conditions claim is in any way contemptuous. Indeed employers are most concerned about securing job security in these most difficult times.”

Mr Lean said member associations of the CIJC have lost about 8 per cent of their members over the last year due to insolvencies and that “any increase in pay rates at this time would only exacerbate this situation leading to more building workers facing the dole”.

Pay negotiations will reconvene on Monday 11 June.

JUST STATED IN THE SULLOM VOE THREAD AND HERE WE AHVE IT OFFICIALLY "IN THE CURRENT CLIMATE".
AM I JUST BEING CYNICAL OR SHOULD CONSTRUCTION WORKERS JUST BE GLAD TO HAVE A JOB WHEN EVERYTHING THEY PAY FOR PETROL,FOOD,GAS,ELECTRICITY ALL GO UP.
SHOULD THEY FECK GET THE RATES SORTED :mad:

Ah NASC went along. Wonder if they'll tell us how it went from their perspective :)

i know from my side ,i really wish i could put the rates up but the money really isnt there. its as much about staying afloat let alone making a profit.think we should all just be happy to have a job

i was just about to ask an employers view on this and soothernpoofter has given the answer i dreaded lol, was at work to day and on a birdcage 20ft by 20 ft 4 ft bays the ledger had been split just off the middle bay so no ledgers just trannies but it was no go for what thye needed it for now its a test rig for sumet daft and the amount of gear it has in its unbelievable but can yan of you guess how much it cost for use to places 5 Aberdeens on the base lift and undo 5 doubles for them to cut out the bay next to the 1 we had just placed Aberdeens in ??? (then tell me theres no room for a pay rise we were there less than 10 min);)

sound more like a dead shore lolo but go on tell me,and how many of u did it, were u already there or did u av to go back for the adaptions

whats a dead shore? hones this things got dogless every set and then a ledger threw every dog legs x braced i should say if that makes any sense lol its only for 10kn as well lol well we when back to the yard put 12 tubes on and when to the job about 3 miles from the yard there was 2 of us and he charged 900 quid nearly £200 an abberdean ....what is a dead shore if it needs doubble hitlited in to the floor at eveyr standard its 1 of them ;):embarrest: i havent a feking clue i fort it was a birdcage lol

i could break it down but it still sounds like he made a bit ,make the most of it ,dont appen often lol-do u really not know what a shore is?

i could break it down but it still sounds like he made a bit ,make the most of it ,dont appen often lol-do u really not know what a shore is?

lol well thatsit i dont claim to know everythign never had to build 1 never had to come across 1 lol after looking at the pic they seem like a support structure but this thing just like a big loading bay for a test rig ad say i you carry about 200kn lol but the hole rig and bit only came to 10kn lol

lolo took me 30min how to figure out how to put the shore pics on lolo - i didnt want to hijak this thread wiv em, glad u liked em though

Get rid of agencies and we will all get a pay rise

Top Bottom