band and plate question..

Yes it reduces with two bolts, 6kN shear produces around 3-4kN tension. However you have to be careful when using two bolts especially when using anchors.

To explain anchors and bolts lose some of their strength the closer they are placed, typically there should be a minimum gap between fixings. The two holes in a Band are too close together! We generally never use the two bolt method, if the Band carrys shear only then a single bolt in the hole furthest from the edge of the Band about which it is twisting is best.

Interesting, never hear that one before. Every job seems to recommend the 2 bolt type that's why I thought the twist was minimal. An interesting difference of opinion there.

Aom and phils back the scaffolding talking is back lol right i was allways under the impression that a band and plate was a doubble and should be treated liek a doubble so safe working load 6ish kn ?

Aom and phils back the scaffolding talking is back lol right i was allways under the impression that a band and plate was a doubble and should be treated liek a doubble so safe working load 6ish kn ?

The SWL you are referring to is the SW slip load when fixed to a standard.

We have a sheet from SGB stating that a band and plate has a SWL of 9.15kN - same as a class B double, although I am highly dubious about their data.

As usual you are right marra it is a double but only set in the right way. I was always told the strength comes from the width of the band rather than the tension of the screw plate. Phil181 was reffering to the shear loads when used as a tie or fixing a beam directly to a wall. Shear is very difficult to test and a lot has to be assumed as far as I can see, the pull test is only for tension.

the swl you are referring to is the sw slip load when fixed to a standard.

We have a sheet from sgb stating that a band and plate has a swl of 9.15kn - same as a class b double, although i am highly dubious about their data.

cheers marra i couldent tell ya the diffrence between sheers slip and what ever els there is lol i was just told if its 6 kn or if its 9 kn thats all that fitting should have on it regardless of weather or not the tie bolt is 20 kn but like i say i have no idea about the slip sheers crk please enlighten me marra and if sgb have put that down in black and white and its their fitting go with it or do you feel it will take more than 9.15?

Be interested to see that data sheet, could you scan and post it please. Does it include a chair?

cheers marra i couldent tell ya the diffrence between sheers slip and what ever els there is lol i was just told if its 6 kn or if its 9 kn thats all that fitting should have on it regardless of weather or not the tie bolt is 20 kn but like i say i have no idea about the slip sheers crk please enlighten me marra and if sgb have put that down in black and white and its their fitting go with it or do you feel it will take more than 9.15?

9.15kN is just a safe working load.

The general rule in engineering is to test a component 3 x times to it's ultimate load (where it fails) You would then use the lowest load that it failed at and give a safety factor of 3.1 (In scaffolding)

So something with a SWL of 9.15kN should fail at around the 30.0kN mark...

9.15kn is just a safe working load.

The general rule in engineering is to test a component 3 x times to it's ultimate load (where it fails) you would then use the lowest load that it failed at and give a safety factor of 3.1 (in scaffolding)

so something with a swl of 9.15kn should fail at around the 30.0kn mark...
get that but again i was under the impresion it was half the load lol the diffrence between sheers and swl is ??? Lol

Swl is the point it slips or releases it's grip on another tube marra and shear is the force pushing down on a tie fixing, in this case.

as usual you are right marra it is a double but only set in the right way. I was always told the strength comes from the width of the band rather than the tension of the screw plate. Phil181 was reffering to the shear loads when used as a tie or fixing a beam directly to a wall. Shear is very difficult to test and a lot has to be assumed as far as i can see, the pull test is only for tension.
sort of wid ya there aom right sheers is it its tied to says a wall and you were to hang 10kn of it that would be 10kn sheers and if you were to pull it off ie tied to a scaffold as a tie it would bw swl???

Yes, here is how I see it, Tension is the force that can be applied to say a drilled in anchor in or out but mainly out as the transoms usually help it from going in to the wall. Shear is mainly used to describe any downward force in this case when tying a beam to a wall but it can be up or down and the SWL is as Phil described the point where a fitting will fail with a 3:1 in built safety factor. Does that make any fekin sense whatsoever?

Yes, here is how I see it, Tension is the force that can be applied to say a drilled in anchor in or out but mainly out as the transoms usually help it from going in to the wall. Shear is mainly used to describe any downward force in this case when tying a beam to a wall but it can be up or down and the SWL is as Phil described the point where a fitting will fail with a 3:1 in built safety factor. Does that make any fekin sense whatsoever?

yep tension - pull test force from scaffold in eg wind pulling againt the tie

shear any direction from the tie other than level with the tie any thiung below or above the tie is shear and there tested to 3 times safe working load lol

By jings you got it marra.

Different loads can come from varying directions and different reasons, the designers are a great source when keeping me right about it. I try and listen to them.

By jings you got it marra.

Different loads can come from varying directions and different reasons, the designers are a great source when keeping me right about it. I try and listen to them.

i fort that marra just twists my heed abit in the sence of shear i know shear drop down wud but then shear strench comes in lol i doubble single swivel sleve pin band and plate (as a doubble ) out eles let the designer worrie lol aye that why we trun them and they tell us were to put them (in some instances) lol arrrr well learn sumet new every day

Aye, every day is a school day for me too. As you say sheer, drop easy enough tension, push pull. The rest will come with experience, some still get me like some jobs require 2 standards on a beam and some are stronger with 1 standard, been wrestling with that one for a while now. The recent arrival of the flat face brace is another, always learning.

Aye, every day is a school day for me too. As you say sheer, drop easy enough tension, push pull. The rest will come with experience, some still get me like some jobs require 2 standards on a beam and some are stronger with 1 standard, been wrestling with that one for a while now. The recent arrival of the flat face brace is another, always learning.

just get it in a choke hold and rag it rwnd the yard
i thats **** blows the tash of the best of us lol. but supose its like the site forman ere aom how comes it cost me x for the hole house and ya chargin me 2x for the gable to be lifted 4 inch .....just the way it marra accept it and move on :laugh::laugh:

how comes it cost me x for the hole house and ya chargin me 2x for the gable to be lifted 4 inch .....just the way it marra accept it and move on

cus you are an absolute fud who couldn't work out your own requirements first time round and the cost of mobilising the troops for a second time is just as expensive as the first, what an erse.

Band and plate has the same load as a class b double band and plate is a great fitting

Top Bottom