Used Scaffold (1 Viewer)

UsedScaff

Reaction score
I work for a company in South Africa who trade used scaffolding. Now I know that the law differs from country to country but Im looking to find out what the general view is on using secondhand scaffolding and how our company can improve on that tp give us a better chance of selling. Im very new to scaffolding but have learnt alot over the last couple of months. Any advice would be terrific!!!!!

Thanks

Greg

Greg. What exactly are you looking to find out.? There are a lot of company's here in the UK that buy second hand tube and fitting, as it works out to be cheaper than buying new

Is there any legal reasons that contractors may opt not to buy secondhand scaffolding?

Not that i am aware of, but i'm sure the guy's on the forum will point out if there is..

not sure if this is a genuine post or a wind up but theres nothing wrong with buying 2nd hand gear itsa lot cheeper than new - tax breaks the same percentage wise . so as long as its in good condition and has been regularly serviced theres no problem, although i avoid used boards as you never knowhow badly they've been treated and if anythings going to give you a problem its them, theres a thriving market in the uk for 2nd hand gear, and a lot of the smaller companies can only afford to use it,especially when starting up - lets face it just cos its not new and shiney do esnt stop iy doing the same job

Well what if your bottom Standards or Basejacks are supporting a 30 meter plus scaffold? Shouldnt there be a concern that it may give in seeing that its secondhand?

---------- Post added at 10:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 AM ----------

I mean "structural integrity" of it..

not at all!!!!!! all that would happen at worst is scaffold would collapse if the strenght was weakend but if its still up then the scaffold is in working order its doing what its ment to do.

I'm sure designed scaffold drawings do not stipulate the use of new or second hand kit, only that all materials will be up to relevant standard and in good condition.

Define second hand. Its not like timber warping splitting when left out. Most companys stock is second hand. I take it your not a scaff Greg. Someone using it knows if its in good nik or not and sorts it while working. Collapse would be poor erection, design not fit for purpose,inadequate ties,ground conditions,weather,alterations by others.

See Frederik, problem is that I have never had any formal training regarding the safety aspect or erection of scaffold. As I have stated that Im new to this industry. Im a sales guy who sells secondhand scaffold. Our scaffold is painted red oxide and hand picked by my boss. I just sell it. But sometimes South African companies would say to me that by law the scaffolding needs to be of good structural integrity to be used by them. How on earth do you define that seeing that most scaffold in use is "secondhand" as you have stated.

So my questions: What is the general feel amongst scaffolders on buying used scaffolding? What defines good quality to not so good quality? And how do you test it or convince the avg builder or scaffolder that the scaffold is good enough for safe use?

As a salesman I don't think thats your concern really. If you're not qualified/experienced enough to make that sort of call then you can't take responsibility for it. As long as your client is competent (competent defined by the countries regulations) then the product comes with their guarantee and you can remain solely as a third party. State clearly in the terms of sale that YOU are not responsible for the quality of the product.

Bottom line is: if you don't like the look of it; don't sell it.

Most guys starting out would be buying used scaffolding. You would generally want it straight and unpitted,wthout gauges on it,as scaffs slide tube thru hands. I dont think theres a life span on tube. I believe most is galvanized now. as yours is painted red oxide I would think its steel, sometimes a bit corroded internally. Usually not a problem. I have some tube 15/20 years old still in good condition.

Greg,as Nick says it shouldnt be your problem. In the uk scaffolds now have to be designed. You can only check on condition visually. Tube spec + diameter of tube and wall thickness. Around 48 mm D, thickness around the 4mm mark. Not sure if steel and galv. are the same spec. or weight by mtr. Builders overloading can also cause probs. so there are different grades of strength based on use. This would be in how close the standards are spaced. Hence design

Top Bottom