stocktake (1 Viewer)

aidennixon

Reaction score
Hi does anyone have any forms so i can do a stock take for my yard thanks

Do people really carry out stock takes?

Every time I try and count my gear I just fall asleep.

What about the gear on site, where would you even start?

Exactly, a nightmare exercise that no doubt includes a lot of guess work and therefore fruitless.

It was a nightmare. Every job had a gear count as we were on a schedule of rates per item/metre etc. These were verified by clients QS but it was the unused gear and that which was going back and forth from the laydown area that was the problem.

---------- Post added at 01:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:09 PM ----------

Obviously everyone made money but I always wondered how exactly with jobs like that. An agreed schedule of rates on these types of jobs demanding the highest regard to safety and stoppages at every turn, the sheer amount of supervision required to keep tabs on it all and paper work to be completed, how the feck after all that did they make any cash?

Obviously everyone made money but I always wondered how exactly with jobs like that. An agreed schedule of rates on these types of jobs demanding the highest regard to safety and stoppages at every turn, the sheer amount of supervision required to keep tabs on it all and paper work to be completed, how the feck after all that did they make any cash?

Myself, supervision, yard staff, QS, admin, materials controller etc. were classed as indirect ie paid for by client. Only the scaffs were direct ie paid by component erected and dismantled. The schedule of rates was supposed to incorporate the heat (high 40s), rain, tbts, safety etc. It was hard to keep the scaffs motivated but we managed to make a million profit every month in the last year on a job which had been running at a loss or just breaking even until then. The material schedule of rates was based on a "norm" that was given to the client in the early days of tendering. Originally was going to be based on m3 of scaffold and m2 of boards etc but was changed.

FFS, a million a month, must have been some job. Wow, just when I thought all these jobs were tight. What changed from breaking even to that level of profit?

That was when I turned up AOM!!!!Seriously though it had been very poorly run before by people with no knowledge of scaffolding or man management. We got rid of dead wood, bought in some new supervisors, introduced a supervsiors productivity bonus scheme, but the main thing that was done was make changes to the guys conditions, made sure they were paid on time and generally made them happier. I always believe if the guys are happier they are more productive I know I was when I was on the tools. Of course you put yourself at risk of the "give them an inch" syndrome but this time it worked out.

I am surprised by that but fair play to you and the rest, to bring it from the floor was no mean feat.

I have always wondered as I know how much off a struggle it can be here getting pushed and pulled from all directions and can only imagine the pressures on a job off that magnitude. I have worked on a few of these projects but never supervision and if I am honest I think it would remain so but well done.

That was when I turned up AOM!!!!Seriously though it had been very poorly run before by people with no knowledge of scaffolding or man management. We got rid of dead wood, bought in some new supervisors, introduced a supervsiors productivity bonus scheme, but the main thing that was done was make changes to the guys conditions, made sure they were paid on time and generally made them happier. I always believe if the guys are happier they are more productive I know I was when I was on the tools. Of course you put yourself at risk of the "give them an inch" syndrome but this time it worked out.

You can have the most professional Supervision in the world, the biggest Firm with the best Yard Staff and Equipment available, with the best Estimators - getting you the best prices on a job... but: The Scaffolders are the ones doing the work, the ones making the money and the ones representing the company as a whole and if they aint happy and they are getting messed about, then things will eventually go wrong.

A happy Scaffolder = A Scaffolder who will MAKE YOU money.
A pissed off Scaffolder = A Scaffolder who will COST YOU money.
Mostly. :)

In my opinion, anyway.

Yes massive strain and pressure. Put a lot of strain on family life which all but didnt exist. Quite happy making up for that here now.

Yeah we need the backing of the family to do what we do, without it there would be no point.

Tough one, hopefully you will have done enough to stay put.

Top Bottom