Council Highways

• Thread starter scaffoldingsafetyservices
  • Start date
S

scaffoldingsafetyservices

Why does it seem that every council in the uk have completely a different rule from one county to the next, this is so confusing, why not just have a set standard across the Uk for everyone to follow. No wonder the country is questioned so much.
:mad:
each criteria is completly different and you need to be a mastermind to remember each councils criteria.
Yes can you guess im still working at this time after 15 hours today.
:mad::mad::mad:

pavement licence is not the issue on this 1. have you ever heard of 450mm clearance from a kerb edge. the outside leg will be 325mm from the kerb edge so it looks like its back to the designers. If the job was 5 minutes up the road it would be in another town and this would not be an issue. I have heard some things in my time but this has got to be up there. A wagon mirror could strike it was the words. the job is 15 lifts if he carnt see that with all the tape and flashing lights even I must say "should that person be driving"?

But yes scaffy I do suppose the licence will be affected until this 5 inch is resolved. where in law does it state these regulations?

Last edited:
the nasc had a go at this to try to bring in all the councils on one document but it was challenged by somebody to say it was anti competitive

I think they make it up as they go along sss

its so confusing to say the least surely a standard criteria shouldnt be hard to ask. after all we vote these muppets in. So how bad are we? Ive had enough for 1 day if anybody have any info please drop me a pm. My head is battered with this one. Tomorrow is another day.

its so confusing to say the least surely a standard criteria shouldnt be hard to ask. after all we vote these muppets in. So how bad are we? Ive had enough for 1 day if anybody have any info please drop me a pm. My head is battered with this one. Tomorrow is another day.

i'm sure there is a free pavement licence document available on the NASC website

I think they make it up as they go along sss

I think you may be correct on that statement. Id like to think otherwise but at the minute the only word going through my head is mockery..

---------- Post added at 10:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 PM ----------

its the clearance issue Simain. 2 standard on the gantry drop with in the scope of 450mm near the kerb edge. If it is adapted to bring it in then that is against the drawing so another £500 - £700 to move 2 standards in 5 inch seems very harsh to the client after all site serveys were carried out. On this one my heart is bleeding for the scaffold company. some might say its a guy making a name for himself which I think we are all used to but 5 inch its still 325mm from the kerb edge.

I have meetings in the morning over this so any help would be grateful im calling it a day now ill check in the morning.

Last edited:
Id just errct as drawing then see if council pick up on it which i doubt they will

SSS,
Newcastle City council specify this on their pavement licence application

"Wherever practicable, no part of the relevant structure should be closer than 0.5m to a plane extended vertically from the nearest part of the carriageway"

When we have applied in the past we've even had the council jobsworth trying to dictate how the works should be done and how the programme should be run. We had to explain that we were just the scaffolding company and we work to the main contractors timescales.

i have had scaffold errected twice and both times its been on the curb with no clearance. On a main road with busy traffic. Drawings etc submited first time and then emergency drawings second time.(scottish borders)

Out of interest can boss scaffolding be used on foot paths with no permits...eg. a movable structure?

Not officially but it doesn't stop them round here.

Steve,

We get this all the time and all we do is form a temporary kerb using baulk timber so any dozy driver will hit that and steer clear, that's the theory anyway.

Not officially but it doesn't stop them round here.

Steve,

We get this all the time and all we do is form a temporary kerb using baulk timber so any dozy driver will hit that and steer clear, that's the theory anyway.

Your spot on aom, we call them fenders here, we use old railway sleepers.

Old railway sleepers are ideal, then someone spoiled it by complaining about possible contamination and to be honest whilst I knew it was a croc I didn't have any paper work to dispute their claims so now have to buy new from local timber merchant. Some people.:(

I almost hate to ask, but WTF is toblerone?

We just screw 5 Scrap 13ft boards together and slap it with red and white paint save money on sleepers

I almost hate to ask, but WTF is toblerone?

Them red and white hollow plastic things you see on roadworks,they slot into each other and weigh feck all,you can then fill them with water for weight,probally called something else,but that's what their known as round our way;)

Oh right, I hit one of them with a 7.5 tonner once thinking it was just plastic and the feckers had filled them with concrete, nearly ripped the side oot the truck.:eek:

Top Bottom