Vange scaffolding, Benfleet. (1 Viewer)

i dont know if they are still alive havent seen them for 20 years would like to hear from them though if they are still about

---------- Post added at 07:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 PM ----------

how about allan burbridge do you remember him he passed years ago

Yes, Allan was the ginger-haired fella, wasn't he ? Didn't he go for the secretaries function at the Dagenham branch, I don't know if your Dad was taking a job somewhere or what? That must have been around the time I was considering moving here to France, early March '75.
For Alfie and Jimmy, they must be in their 80's if they are still around, I think they were a good 20 years older than me.
Is it true that Micky Whatson and Allan Crumpton both died as well ? Allan lived 50 yards away from me with his in-laws when he first got married, it was him first introduced me to photography.

ginger

they called allan burbridge ginger,i remember allan crumpton doing photography.iam sure he stll alive i think he lives out braintree way .

---------- Post added at 02:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:22 PM ----------

i remember mick watson being a bit of a lunatic in a nice way enjoyed working with them all great laughs,

Oh yes, Mickey was a real character all right. We had to lend him money every Monday, to get through to Thursday payday, as he was saving up then to get married, and his to-be wife wouldn't allow him more than a fiver to get him through.
Good times we had in the Church Elm, Dagenham, both in the bar and the hall out back, with both Allans, Crumpton and Burbridge, Mickey, Bernie and a couple of others. In fact it was Mickey, Allan and the steward then, Alfie Roberts that got me the start on the ILC job (Bedford hotel) near Russel square.
I think that's shut down now.
How long has Mickey been passed ? Shame that, he was a good'un really, one of the best and fastest scaffs I ever worked with. Course, we were only in our late teens, early twenties then.

Ah yes vange scaffolding and engineering what a company to work for truly a sad loss to the industry martyn pinch truly had Essex and kent sown up to the hilt even if he did have a smelly breath from smoking his gold filtered fags from harrods I would say vange would still be around if it wasn't for the banks screwing them into the ground when the country hit the credit crunch I worked on tilbury and the man with the shout was franky George his brother was next in command and his daughter was a scaff and then there was bp and this just seem to have got taken over by the codheads ie cubby the laughing assassin sneekey little fecker but to be fare there was some good some bad coddys and the money was spot on right down to the last minute you worked, shame they are gone but someone said they may be setting back up again I don't know if anyone knows of this or is this just loose lips sinking ships again I believe kelvin short took the reins for vange and some say this was there downfall does anyone actually know the truth

What year was that, that they went down the pan ? I quite enjoyed working for them. It was Harrison the foreman at Tilbury when I finally left early 1975. I think he was a brother in law to someone. I was the shop steward there for about 18 months before I went to the BP refinery in Nigeria, seconded out to Wimpey. Then when I came back I jacked it all in and came to live in France. Best thing I ever did actually. I can count the difference in retirement pay between here and the UK as I draw 11 years of pension rights and there is no comparison at all.

Hi mate vange went under about 3 years ago it may even be 4 they ran into financial difficulties and I believe the bank withdrew their overdraft and for closed on them one hell of a company to work for where a bouts in France are you and are you enjoying retirement

Hiya,
I'm on the north coast of Brittany, close to St Malo. Except for the usual little problems when you get to my age, prostate - Knees giving out after playing too much football and tennis - Teeth getting loose, retirement is a blast. That's around 7 years nowthat I'm retired (At that time you could retire at 60 in France) and my wife and myself haven't stopped travelling since. Try to do 3 decent trips a year including one in the winter for a month or two, depending. Otherwise a fair bit of hiking, all going fine for the moment,thanks for asking.

Regards

Micks still alive, lives near southend now. Wife still controls the money! I work for his son now and again, so will pass the message on that you were asking after him.

That would be nice, I don't know who told me he was dead, probably on this thread.Has he still got the red hair or has it all fallen out now ? Yes thanks a lot, please remember me to him .

Podgermad, can you remember Bobby Norfolk/ Tony Pritchard /Alan Cramel?, bobs 65 and still working off the back of a lorry up here in North Norfolk.

No sorry, they must have come along after me. Did they work for Vange or on one of the refineries or power stations along the Thames ?

I remember the Crumtons. Not from Ganges though. H & B. Remember working with Dave before and after his knee/hip replacement.
Used to work with Tony Moeller, Dave Murray, Dave Hicks, Colin Hughes and Ronny Davis to name a few that I believe done the rounds on the refineries etc

Tug wilson is he still alive ? Any one hear from mick redman is he still about last I heard he was in the film studios

I remember a Dave Hicks that worked at Tilbury when I was there, must be long retired now.

BTW Gary, you asked if Terry Molloy had a brother Sam, Terry used to go by the nickname "Sam" as he could never remember anyone else's name, so he called everyone "Sam"

Yes Terry Molloy is still alive and rocking. Or Sam the man. Paul Smith is still around living in France with his wife. Micky Ring is still up and running. All be it on his knees. Me I've been working abroad since late 80 s. China. India. Philippines. Indonesia. Thailand. West coast of Africa. And Saudi. Mainly for Shell. And Bechtel. Last contract only 4 years ago. Now near 75 spend my time between Thailand . Spain and good old Maidstone. Here till 2 Oct. Then off to Thailand for the winter. As for work I miss the crack. . Not sure about the Moore brothers. Donovan or Crumpton. But . Sam / Terry / Me is in good shape .

Top Bottom