Two day safety course all wrong

Milwall,

I can see the basis for a whole new thread, I think we're all pretty much on the same page whereas the subject of rope access is concerned!

I think might be able to help you out with that NEEBOSH course work, let me ask around. It's ironic that I was only chatting to one of our Loss Prevention Scaffold Inspectors yesterday on a platform and we were having this very same discussion. His brother had just taken his and the exam cost £200.

That's a damned sight cheaper than what I was quoted!

Cheers,
Phil.

i went on a 2 day coarse for inspection not so long back with a load of council suits .me being an avd scaff and found it a joke when it came to inspecting the said faulty scaffold ,the chap said there were 13 faults .i found a far more than that,some of the suits didn,t find all 13.some of the faults where that ov they wud cause a major collaps ,most of them didn,t even spot them .to make it worse the chap doing the coarse didn,t on what he was on with.

rope access

garry, sorry been offline, thanks once again for some solid advice and input.it sounds amazing what you say about the talks you were involved in, hats off to you, very impressed. personally i think we should welcome rope access with open arms, the powers and skills that are being taken off us, and given to lesser trades are criminal,and if we are not on the ball we will be even less of a trade. when i was in australia the guys there were all going for it,as they could see the writing on the wall. lets grab some power back.i found the irata course very interesting, testing but within all of ours grasp.although the irata guys are basically abseillers,you then need to bring a trade to the table,i.e.scaffolding ,rigging, brickie etc. because its a multi tasking skill.but we should strike early to stake our case for the need for us to warrant it as part of our trade, as i said it was on citbs prospectus for last year, but on this years reduced hand out it is not showing,did it fall at the first hurdle? as i said earlier when i rang about it last year it was a shock to them and it was not up and running,so i had to go elsewhere.thanks once again for the nebosh info. do you agree with the above or of a different opinion?

---------- Post added at 08:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 PM ----------

phil, i think with garry we are on the same wavelength.you can see what i replied to his comments, it sounds you are in a much better position to apppreciate the need for rope access scaffolders/riggers/slinger/signalmen, is it not a common thing to incorporate the two skills? thanks for the nebosh info, would be forever grateful for any help in that department that i can get. thanks millwall

Tripartite Disapline

Millwall

Firstly, in support to the reincorporating of Rigging and Lifting Operations, may I remind the viewers of this thread that there is a historical link with Rigging and Scaffolding Operations. Indeed, Scaffolders who hold Rigging and Lifting Operations Certification are looked upon more favorably when applying for Offshore Employment.

The Training of the Tripartite Disapline was to address the need for Salvage Crews for the Decommissioning of Redundant Offshore Installations. However, the transferable Skills of these Tripartite Crews could be deployed within: Hook-up, Construction and Maintenance ect Projects.

Decommissioning Scenario: Salvage Crew Operations

Erect Special Structures in Tube and Fittings, where graneage is required to deliver additional Scaffold Materials onto a partially erected Structure then the Scaff requires Rigging Competencies to sling and signal, like wise when the Scaffold Structure is Commissioned, the Crew will set about cold cutting the Steel Work into manageable piece small, Rig the piece and in accordance with the Lifting Plan extract the piece. Load Bearing Scaffold Structures incorporating Ladder/Unit Beams support the Rigging Gear ect. Rope Access Techniques are deployed where node point are required to be applied to the soffit of the steel work, butts and dropper installed, square in, ect and then the boards. This type of operation invariably requires alterations and modifications as the Job progresses, when this happens the Tag has to be pulled and all none Scaffs vacate the Structure---Riggers, ect---however, if the Scaffs are Tripartite there would be no need to stop all rigging operations entirely, with the appropriate Fall Suppression Equipment Deployed and the Risks mitigated to as Low as practicable, operations could progress with caution.

Excuse the long winded explanation.

The above is a very simplistic example, however, you's Guys know the script---fill in the gaps.

I concur with Gary there, you will find throughout, more or less the rest of the world that the usual requirement of a Scaffolder is basic Rigging certificates. Offshore in particular demands the use of multi-tasking tradesmen as there are only so many P.O.B (persons on board) allowed on a platform, rig or barge at any one time.

Personally I have no issues with Scaffolder cum Riggers, the more training and certs the merrier, but what I do have some serious issues with are Riggers that 'assume' they are Scaffolders. When I have time I will post some photos of a job I condemned on a drilling rig that was sat on top of one of our production platforms, to give you a good idea of exactly what I am talking about, shameful!

Cantilever drop birdcage, my @rse..!!!

Last edited:
Phil

Looking forward to the images---very hands for supporting evidence for reinforcing the Safety Case for Training Regimes.

Whilst I am on my feet, I thought that Id pick up thr point on one of your recent repliewich concerned the lack of interest/collaberation that you received from NASC in regard to your Training of the indigenous Work force in Nigeria.

As I have mentioned I met with NASC Training Officer in Aberdeen some time ago---during an informal down time from our Business at hand ( Offshore Academy ) Nasc, informed me that he had just returned from thr Philippians where he had just concluded talks with Cape Far East---these talks ended with the NASC 's sanction to establish a Training Centre in the Philippians---on completion of Training the Candidates were to be issued with CSCS cards.

This begs the question: why were NASC so hesitant to Help your Orginisation ?---given the fact that NASC would have received the backing of the Nigerian Government---could it be that the CSCS tickets issued to the Phillapians would entitle them to work in the North Sea British and Norwegian Sectors, Decommissioning.

Garry/Lads,

Photos of GSF jack-up rig scaffolding inspection (condemned!) uploaded into albums.

Enjoy!
Phil.

Jesus H feckin Christ, Were they awake when those ones went up. for No.3, never mind the cantilever from cantilever, what about a boarded access, a ladder, some toeboards or even a Feckin HANDRAIL. these are perfect examples of the problems of an unregulated semi-skilled trade, the regs quote that anyone who is deemed competent can erect scaffold, no need for basic training or qualifications

Steve

I concur, the Structures are an abomination to our Industry, perhaps they could be used in the Scaffold Inspection Course ( lets see how much Breaches the suits could spot ) , I P.M.'d Phil with my comments on these Images---If I had posted it on the open Forum, I would have probably been struck off for using Industrial language.

It is very difficult to export U.K. Statutory Requirements and B.S. to other Global Locations, many Countries and Principalities Regulate their OS&H by Royal Decree's, ect---and indeed may Countries have little to no Regulations in place---therefore, when U.K. & USA Orginisations are operating over sea's they incorporate the U.K.and or U.S.A. ( pref to u.k. ) Stats and Standards into the Indigenous Regulations and Decree's.

I know that a particular Land Based Liquid to Gas Project in Nigeria is being run to U.K. Standards and the Scaffolding Operations conducted to a very high Standard indeed. However,in this case, there has been a clear break down in communication with the Nigerian Government and the Offshore Construction/Maintenance Service Company in this case---

Phil has a very challenging time ahead if he is to change the Offshore Safety Culture in the region, I must say that all West Coast Offshore Operations are NOT conducted to the Standard see in these images---the Offshore Operations in Angola and the Luanda and Cabinda Service Bases are very well Regulated.

---------- Post added at 10:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 AM ----------

Amendment to the above post, in my hast I wrote LIQUID to GAS, when in fact it should have read GAS to LIQUID---:embarrest:

interesting images mate, but who tags and passes these?it comes back to a few things that have been previously said about training, ie third world nationals ,who regulates the standard of training, whose standards does it have to conform to, local national international?also cost over safety? and as garry has said before the need for us to multitrade, scaffolder. rigger, rope access in these projects is a way forward for our trade.

Guys,

Thanks for your comments. All names etc are excluded for obvious legal reasons, however I am allowed a certain degree of publicity for Safety Training reasons. I was pretty shocked when I saw this myself to be honest and surprised that this type of nonsense still exists out here in the Delta.

As the post suggested though, would you have walked on by? Although it had nothing to do with our group, I wouldn't have slept knowing that the thing was still in service!

The guys out here are very receptive to the training that we give them and we have come a long way in two years. We have had an increase of almost 600% quality and productivity standards since my team of Inspectors arrived in the field. We implement BS EN1128-1 standards and try very hard to bring the lads into line with TG20:08 guide lines as much as we can. Yes it's all up hill, but it's an enjoyable and most rewarding challenge.

The photos are an example of the type of shenanigan's that happen on drilling rigs. It was mentioned earlier about Scaffolder/Riggers & Rigger/Scaffolders. I have basically given a very clear example of why Riggers and any other unqualified personnel should not be allowed to perform any scaffolding operations, especially offshore where more 'Advanced' skill is required.

As for local standards, well.... this job was supervised and tagged by ex-pat drilling crew, enough said!

Cheers,
Phil.

phil mccree

good points mate, but it must be like trying to wave with your hands tied sometimes, but you just got to perservere i suppose.

Safety

HAHA, I was drilling hole for scaff tie , when i hit a stainless blast post , the drill piece snapped , an shot over my shoulder ,landing 2 lifts down on the floor just in front of the safety officer, he picked it up, an screamed as it burnt his hand , we looked over scacffold an told him if he had been wearing glove,s this would not have happened, we never saw him again , :nuts:

he picked it up, an screamed as it burnt his hand , we looked over scacffold an told him if he had been wearing glove,s this would not have happened, we never saw him again , :nuts:

Watch yourself now boys...hes now preparing a 65 page Risk Assessment on the subject and will be implementing the Control Measures on you any day now!! You will now have to drill wearing 3 pairs of gloves, hard hat, googles, harness, steel toe cap boots, hi viz vest, flame retarded overalls, have a hot works permit in place, a fire extinguisher on stand by and then have to stand a fire watch up to an hour after you have finished the tie!!:D

It might sound like a joke....but you never know!!

Only if he has worked out a method statement to conjour the pen from his pocket in a safe fashion.:laugh:

Top Bottom