Transom Spacing

What prompted the writing of SG4:10?

Good question. Why replace a tried and tested with a huge success rate method of work, with an untried, untested, difficult method which requires additional gear and training?

Should've took the step of 100% compliance with a known system of work where there's no excuse not to follow. Not change it and "see what happens".

I don't want to be a guinea pig :(

firms want to stop putting little kids through there cards getting advanced card in 3 year thats whats ******* this game up when i started 14 year ago you was lucky to get your part 1 after a good few year and used to still labour on part 2 card only advanced card holders erected mite sound stupid but if all us old timers look back its the truth (to many young kids getting cards thinging ther bees kness and causeing accidents

yes , there should be a minimum period labouring, then minimum as a part 1 ,then part 2 , then advanced and there should also be a set wage for part 1's and 2's the wage differences across britain is fuckin crazy , a part 1 in glasgow struggles to even get a job , but he can go to london and get £14 an hour , not right

---------- Post added at 07:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 PM ----------

also what these young upstarts do is do the job for less money , i heard of a job in portsmouth recently where the agency was paying no digs , and it was 12 hour shifts on a straight £12 an hour , and sure enough i heard of a few young part 2's , guys with no mortgage or kids to pay , biting the guys hand off for the job , this is a big part of whats happening with the better paid jobs ib britain

yes , there should be a minimum period labouring, then minimum as a part 1 ,then part 2 , then advanced and there should also be a set wage for part 1's and 2's the wage differences across britain is fuckin crazy , a part 1 in glasgow struggles to even get a job , but he can go to london and get £14 an hour , not right

i agree pal same ere in manchester joke tbh hse ect woudnt be on our backs all time if it wassnt for all the firms putting kids through there courses when it started about 6 maybe 7 year ago we wouldnt be having these problems now i dont think (bad spelling ) and this is my opinion so dont all have a go at me lol

---------- Post added at 07:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:07 PM ----------

i agree pal same ere in manchester joke tbh hse ect woudnt be on our backs all time if it wassnt for all the firms putting kids through there courses when it started about 6 maybe 7 year ago we wouldnt be having these problems now i dont think (bad spelling ) and this is my opinion so dont all have a go at me lol

and most of them cant scaffold unless useing animals or doulbe arms tell um use a tape mesure and they fucked

Good question. Why replace a tried and tested with a huge success rate method of work, with an untried, untested, difficult method which requires additional gear and training?

Should've took the step of 100% compliance with a known system of work where there's no excuse not to follow. Not change it and "see what happens".

I don't want to be a guinea pig :(

Flinty, as you and anyone else who knows anything about me will have already realised I'm no expert, yes I have opinions maybe too many but it wasn't me who changed them I like yourself and everybody else just have to operate by them. In answer to your question though as with most things was it not to bring us into line with Europe? Now you can argue the pro's and con's off that one all night long like they do in Brussels over the curvature of a banana or you can adopt the attitude I did from day 1 on starting out which was if the client wants pink ribbons and is willing to pay for pink ribbons then it's pink ribbons he gets. Only the scaffs can give it to them for nothing, if they want it for nothing they are talking to the wrong man.

You should have a tranny every 1.2 meters plus one on every node point. If you put your trannys at 900mm the job is classed as heavy duty (as long as the distance between standards is no bigger than 1.8m ). Even intermediate lifts ideally should have at least one every 1.2 plus nodes and single guardrail. All local hse inspectors will be actively looking for these to be in place. Sounds excessive i know but thems the rules im afraid.

Edit: didnt realise this thread was already five pages long so someone has prob already answered the original question far better than me ha.

Last edited:
Just tranny the dummy lifts out with swivels for the inter's.:idea:

Or to keep the price low, use wooden battons and zip ties instead of Trannies and Fittings. :idea:

Flinty, as you and anyone else who knows anything about me will have already realised I'm no expert, yes I have opinions maybe too many but it wasn't me who changed them I like yourself and everybody else just have to operate by them. In answer to your question though as with most things was it not to bring us into line with Europe? Now you can argue the pro's and con's off that one all night long like they do in Brussels over the curvature of a banana or you can adopt the attitude I did from day 1 on starting out which was if the client wants pink ribbons and is willing to pay for pink ribbons then it's pink ribbons he gets. Only the scaffs can give it to them for nothing, if they want it for nothing they are talking to the wrong man.

Good points as always. I think it was more TG which was modified to bring in line with the EU. SG was modified to appease the HSE.

Yeah but the hse needed appeasing because the work at height regs changed meaning SG:05 did not comply and did they not want to make us put every lift in as fully boarded? What ever the reasons, they are now part of our every day lives.

---------- Post added at 07:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:59 PM ----------

Also, I think as with all guidance they have given an undertaking to revise it every 5 years, the only way hse put up with SG:05 in the first place.

I'm sure Simian will correct me if I'm wrong but I'm 99% sure the WAHR haven't changed in a while now. SG4:5 was the accepted method but even then HSE were unhappy, they set the deadline that SG4:10 would HAVE to have scaffolders constantly behind a guardrail. Sounds like NASC argued against this but failed and so here we are.....

The WAHR didn't change, just how it was interrupted as such. It's all a bit weird really no wonder a lot of blokes don't really understand where the law lies.

Not sure on every lift boarded, but I think they wanted the SSZ to change so that it had to be double guardrail and fully boarded.

Anyway whack a load of transoms in, shouldn't need to measure if you put 5 in!!!

haha, maybe you are right, more chance than me anyway if past performance is anything to go by.

As I understood it the regs did change and hse accepted 05 as a kind off concession as long as it was revised at least every 5 years to take in to account technology catching up which would allow us to comply, e.g steps and agr's.

Who know's, I think I have just confused myself.:embarrest::laugh:

Top Bottom