Alloy tube (1 Viewer)

woodsie

Reaction score
Is alloy tube as strong as steel and are you supposed to use steel cupplers with it as I was told it may compress the tube!! Another load of bull concucted by some office dweller or real life fact stuff?

There was a thread on this before, not sure if I'm right but I think your mate phil181 posted a definitive answer but to be honest I can't remember what it was.:embarrest:

Bulls.hit. I thought so. Some one told me u only supposed to use alloy cupplers with it as steel can damage the tube. What a lOad of myth haha thanks myth busters

Mmm, actually it may be more for pedantic safety men but I think there is a case to answer. I would dig a bit deeper before shooting from the hip.

The thread n nut on alloy cupplers are steel so would give the same tension n compression as a steel cuppler..... Right?!

I think it has more to do with how it grips the tube and slip loads. The alloy coupler is a lot wider spreading the load over a greater area whereas a sticky may damage an alloy tube.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no expert but would wait for some other responses before giving it too some jumped up wee safety guy, info is king.;)

Right but alloy softer than steel so steel going to dig deeper ion to alloy than alloy would maby be some truth in iut manufactures sugestions maybee but i was under the impression the ally fitting was just to save weight

Would hse pull u up on site or what about the magnificent two day wonders that are the scaff inspector? What would they have to say? I did a scaff inspection course but didn't mention this so woul be overlooked...... Right?!

For sure, no way would the 2 day men have a clue, not even sure if I would mention it myself in fact I wouldn't and have done it many times but the tube was hired and we really didn't care if we pitted the tube.

I've been using it with my trusty impact gun but haven't really seen any indentations but someone mentioned it and got me thinking. Ignorance is bliss lol

You will get a definitive answer but if I'm honest it will be one of these things that no one else will be too worried about. The IW won't help if I'm right they can be pretty fierce.

haha, I love mine but anyone coming behind to strike hates it and as we have been so busy our fittings haven't been serviced for ages and are in a very poor state but now I have the IW it doesn't seem so important.

You'll be denting the steel never mind the alloy by the sounds of it.

Yeah, all kidding aside I do try and not over do it but then start to think I may not have done them enough. Same as everything else in my life, never happy what ever I do.

you shouldnt use band and plate on alloy(beams or tube) as the screwed plate can and will penetrate the tube.
there was a theory years ago that using dropped forge on alloy in a marine enviroment can cause a chemical reaction on alloy that could prove costly.i dont think that the alloy tubing nowadays is full alluminium so the reaction no longer occurs and is being used on the odd offshore platform (brent field) i think.
hope this helps but as im on the nelsons i dont really care ;)

Nelsons or not you make a good point and now you mention it I have seen the set marks on our alloy beams.

Oh aye, now a fekin remember.:suspicious:

put the set on back to front if you know what i mean so that the screwed plate goes onto the galvi tube whenever possible ;)

You have got to be kidding, these c@nts aren't bothered if my tube has a dent or not. I could ask but will probably get punched round the yard.:eek:

Top Bottom