CIS and PAYE

longun

Reaction score
I am on PAYE with a firm but want to do a bit of CIS work for a few weeks while work is quiet and sh*t. Is it possible to be self employed and work elsewhere while still being on the books with a firm.

Hi Longun,

Yes, you can have as many jobs as you like and there are hours in the day. As long as your employers are ok about it, and I don't see why they shouldn't be, you can sub (be self employed/ CIS) elsewhere or indeed, PAYE (although your tax code would be a little more awkward to work out, but not impossible).

Hope that helps :)

Do I have to tell my employer. What if I had CIS work on the weekends, my time etc. Once I am registered CIS do I keep myself on the CIS even though im working PAYE with a firm.

Telling your boss, I think, is more of a courtesy thing, but really providing your "freelance" work is not affecting your day to day work, you probably aren't obligated. MorganLaw may be able to advise better on that aspect.

As for staying on CIS, yes, you'd be on it for as long as you do CIS work. It does mean applying for and completing self assessment tax returns, which you may already do anyway (PAYE scaffolders get tax refunds too). When you complete your tax return, you just have to declare all you've earned, PAYE or CIS.

As always, if you need any help with this, give us a call.

When your on paye what and how much of it can you claim can you calim what you can if your cis ?

You can only claim for legitimate expenses, under CIS or PAYE. So, any expenses you incur whilst doing your job (which can include travel costs, tools etc) you can claim back against your tax bill.

Cheers better tax whats the best way to go about it keep recipts then send them to your selves march next year. Is it possible for you to send a list of thing you can claim for please bt? And when you say while doing you job does this includ you bait travel o the job waterproofs clothing etc or just expencise like traveling to the job and tools for the job ?cheers

Have you done a tax return for 2011 - 2012? You can claim tax back on that year any time now, once you have your P60.

We always advise to keep receipts - saves any hassle should HMRC decide to check a claim, which they are perfectly entitled to do, and do! Doesn't matter how you keep them, in a box, in 12 envelopes, but yes keep anything to prove the claim, should you need to.

There is no definitive list of what can be claimed for as each person's claim is unique to them.

Expenses you spend to do your job can be considered. The way we work is that we will do a return, with you, to include all your relevant expenses, which is where we differ from many competitors - they concentrate on travel/ mileage only.

If you would like us to work with you, scaff1989, just give us a call. Sorry I can't be more specific, but as I say, all returns are unique to each claimant.

Top Bottom