TG thingy,sg whatever and designs for a foot scaffold.

moanalot

Reaction score
If you put a scaffold up without a drawing and the builders work on it and it don't fall over or collapse on itself did it need a drawing in the first place...

frederiks expriences as foll;ows andf i quote ''Scaffs told me the splay plan was on a fag packet. sounds familiar!lol '' just look for a fag packet around the standards :toung:

If you put a scaffold up without a drawing and the builders work on it and it don't fall over or collapse on itself did it need a drawing in the first place...

If you walk across the M25 with your eyes closed today and dont get hit by a car does that mean its safe to do it again tomorrow?:embarrest:

If you walk across the M25 with your eyes closed today and dont get hit by a car does that mean its safe to do it again tomorrow?:embarrest:
Hardly the same but if thats the case i have been avoiding traffic on the m25 for 28 years and im'e just about to put my trusty old blindfold on again now...

Hardly the same but if thats the case i have been avoiding traffic on the m25 for 28 years and im'e just about to put my trusty old blindfold on again now...

Not quite the same but exactly the same principle. Just because nothing happens doesn’t mean nothing will the next time nor does it make it OK
regards
Alan

Its getting to the point now that any scaffolding job no matter how straight forward will have to have a site specific drawing and calcs, this is then in the hands of the design engineer who under the present climate will have a backlog as long as your arm, the question im getting at is will the customer wait or go to some outfit that does`nt give a monkeys about the rules, if so the good law abiding company loses yet another paying job to the back street hustler.

Its getting to the point now that any scaffolding job no matter how straight forward will have to have a site specific drawing and calcs, this is then in the hands of the design engineer who under the present climate will have a backlog as long as your arm, the question im getting at is will the customer wait or go to some outfit that does`nt give a monkeys about the rules, if so the good law abiding company loses yet another paying job to the back street hustler.

You are indeed correct General at some stage the nanny state will cause the need for drawings for all temp works. This will not be good for the industry and yes it will fall to the overloaded engineer to produce drawings that are of no real challenge or value to him. They will in fact impede him from doing a better level of work at a better market value.
There will of course be the back street scaff who will break the rules but then he has always been there. This has been the case for the likes of SGB for many years who spent many years training the Engineers who are now so few and far between. Whilst SGB made the investment all the smaller firms ignored the requirement. Now the table has turned and Engineers are a premium, strange this is that after all those years of training and insisting upon Engineers being in position SGB let all theirs go??
Only another 10 years I can retire and not give a F**k
regards
Alan

yep...that is when system will take over as it conforms to a pre-disign as soon as you put it together. Wonderful news........

With the greatest of respect to both GM and Alan , the general attitude towards the small scaffold firms on this forum seems to be a very negative one , is that the way all big outfits view us " rule breakers " ? .

I could understand the bad vibes if we were taking work away from the big firms , but , you have absolutely no interest in winning 95% of the work we are doing as it is too small and of little value and likewise , we have no interest or capacity to even contemplate tendering for 95% of your contracts .

Just because we don`t have multi million ££ turnovers and in house designers etc etc. does not make us " hustlers , cowboys , slashers , chancers or whatever your favoured term for us is .

some outfit that does`nt give a monkeys about the rules, if so the good law abiding company loses yet another paying job to the back street hustler.

There will of course be the back street scaff who will break the rules but then he has always been there.
Alan

yep...that is when system will take over as it conforms to a pre-disign as soon as you put it together. Wonderful news........

Morning Geoff
you would like to think so but I bet that won't be the case, I have been designing system scaffolds that conform to pre design criteria for thirty years.
I think we would need to change all the buildings and the customers to conform to the scaffolding systems for them to fit most jobs LOL
regards
Alan

---------- Post added at 01:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:40 AM ----------

With the greatest of respect to both GM and Alan , the general attitude towards the small scaffold firms on this forum seems to be a very negative one , is that the way all big outfits view us " rule breakers " ? .

I could understand the bad vibes if we were taking work away from the big firms , but , you have absolutely no interest in winning 95% of the work we are doing as it is too small and of little value and likewise , we have no interest or capacity to even contemplate tendering for 95% of your contracts .

Just because we don`t have multi million ££ turnovers and in house designers etc etc. does not make us " hustlers , cowboys , slashers , chancers or whatever your favoured term for us is .

Morning Topscaff
there was no offence intended and the statements made by both GM and I did not indicate that ALL small firms are wrong in their approach. That said we don’t all work for the multinational companies nor do we all work for small companies but I am sure we are all aware that there are rule breakers out there.
The rule breakers tend to be amongst the small firms for simple reasons they do not have the resource or may not wish to spend the money on the resource to conform. It tends to be easier to get away with ignoring some rules when the spot light is on the big firms.

It’s not about the market share of the work, no one is bothered if the small man is bidding the same work as the big boys, its about everyone taking their fair share of responsibility for the right and wrong in this industry
regards
Alan

Usually,you only need a drawing if you dont know what your doing.
Well put Topscaff

Well put Topscaff

Morning Frederick
most of the time you only need a drawing because they say you do. We all know there are able scaffolders out there and we all know how best to do what we need to BUT we don't make the rules any more we passed that right to Europe
regards
Alan

Well put Topscaff

Hi Freerik, would like to think that all good scaffolders dont need a drawing to erect a loading tower or an independent with beams over an access door, the point i was making is its not down to the scaffs anymore its all to do with the HSE boys making sure all the relevant paperwork is there should an accident occur.

My apologies if you think i was slating all the small companies this is not the case, i know plenty of small to medium firms who follow all the procedures and erect very tidy jobs [a lot of them better than the big boys], i also know quite a few back street firms who should not be left alone with a scaffold spanner.

Morning Topscaff
there was no offence intended and the statements made by both GM and I did not indicate that ALL small firms are wrong in their approach.

My apologies if you think i was slating all the small companies this is not the case, i know plenty of small to medium firms who follow all the procedures and erect very tidy jobs [a lot of them better than the big boys], i also know quite a few back street firms who should not be left alone with a scaffold spanner.

Thanks for the replies

No offence taken at all , i was just trying to get the general perspective of the masses with regards to the small firms.
I was born in to the trade myself and and have spent the last 23 yrs ( and more than half of my school days before this :) ) working for and now half running the same small firm , I have seen many comments in the past made by other members that basically suggest that small firm = cowboys and thought i would ask the question.

Thanks for the replies

No offence taken at all , i was just trying to get the general perspective of the masses with regards to the small firms.
I was born in to the trade myself and and have spent the last 23 yrs ( and more than half of my school days before this :) ) working for and now half running the same small firm , I have seen many comments in the past made by other members that basically suggest that small firm = cowboys and thought i would ask the question.
I was in london at the weekend and as usual their was loads of jobs up all over town BUT cosidering all scaffolds are supposed to erected in exactly the same design format (standard spacings,lift heights,stupid tie designs and all that) i know what I'me lookin at and I did'nt see 2 jobs that looked as if this tg thingy had been implemented.Trad had a couple of gantrys that looked so over engineered compared to others round the corner but each job was still doing relatively the same job...providing a safe working platform. My only question to meself was who was right and who was wrong...none looked like they had been erected out of the book but all were standing and doing the same job...this industrys gone mad...

Its all about making money and exploiting every legal loophole possible to make even more money... not good, not good for the Trade or the Industry. But its how things are nowadays.

i just quoted a ladder tower, and because it was under 15m and not sheeted , it did not require a drawing, but it also depends on the company u are doing work for, ie, carillion require a drawing for everything, even if its an adaption to the scaffold with calcs as well total nightmare

Top Bottom