The PTG Offshore (fun police) (1 Viewer)

poacher turned gamekeeper

Reaction score
After 3 interviews and numerous courses the PTG as finally got a start Offshore as a Safety Man..:p (fun police)

any tips of the SF boys of how not to ailinate oneself would be much appreciated.

2 day course mon & tue fly out wed...............starting to **** myself:unsure:

any advice would be most appreciated starting as a limted company for 1 of the big 3 guns jacked a steady job in, seen as I am 38 years old need to take the plunge its now or never.:notrust:

Thanks in Advance:D

The PTG

Last edited:
Nice one PTG mate.

Treat the Scaffolders like free thinking Humans and not mindless thugs, might help, lol.

Oh, and try to understand - before you dish out any 'Red Cards' that all this Health and Safety shiit that we have to adhere to does NOTHING but make our jobs more dangerous and more difficult. :idea:

As an ex spanner man you should command respect from the scaffs at least . My advice would be just be practical . There are some silly rules out there and there are some good ones , concentrate and expand the good ones and question the silly ones and the troops will soon be singing from your hymn sheet . Don`t however walk past a gas leak to pull someone for not wearing earplugs as earplugs don`t stop explosions . All the best in your new career .

Nice one PTG mate.

Treat the Scaffolders like free thinking Humans and not mindless thugs, might help, lol.

Oh, and try to understand - before you dish out any 'Red Cards' that all this Health and Safety shiit that we have to adhere to does NOTHING but make our jobs more dangerous and more difficult. :idea:

Jase is Poacher Turned Gamekeeper not self explanitry, fair enough I have crossed over to the darkside but better the devil you know, I have acheived through hard work what all of the doom merchants dream about:p £400 a day.

As an ex spanner man you should command respect from the scaffs at least . My advice would be just be practical . There are some silly rules out there and there are some good ones , concentrate and expand the good ones and question the silly ones and the troops will soon be singing from your hymn sheet . Don`t however walk past a gas leak to pull someone for not wearing earplugs as earplugs don`t stop explosions . All the best in your new career .

Thanks for that wee bit of advice pal, point is I am guna be brand new to the fixed instalation crack.... I hope my Scaffolding 18 years (commercial diving 2 years) & also doing my time as a painter experience will hold me in good stead. I am exited cos I have got my self here not through nepotism..................:D

Jase is Poacher Turned Gamekeeper not self explanitry, fair enough I have crossed over to the darkside but better the devil you know, I have acheived through hard work what all of the doom merchants dream about:p £400 a day.

I know your an ex-Scaffolder you nutter, lol.
You told me before. :)

I should have worded my post better... :embarrest:

Congrats mate and good luck.

Like the others have said, you've been on the tools and you know the score.

Treat the lads the same way you would expect to be treated.

Be yourself and you'll be fine

Nice to hear you are on the up PTG, good luck with it all.

Poacher,your on the other side now mate. Theres no foot in both camps,Doesnt work,been there. One side cost me dearly.

ITS AMAZING WHAT BENDING DOWN AND TOUCHING YOUR TOES CAN GET YA N AFTER A FEW YEAR WITH DUSTY KNEES AND A DESK BUMP ON THE HEAD:laugh: LOL NAR HOPE ALL GOES WELL MARRA PS DONT **** ON THEM ON THE WAY UP YOU'LL MEET THEM ON THE WAY DOWN N DOES THAT MENA TYLER'S GONNA BE YOUR ADVISOR??????

Good luck in your new venture Poacher, you will be treated as the opposition when you get on the rig and as a new boy it will feel a bit strange and daunting, treat the lads with the respect they deserve [not every scaffolder merits the same respect] but make it clear to them that with regards to safety what you say, you mean

Don't turn into a spy for the company mate & don't be one of those blokes that just spouts the rule book all the time, I doubt you will be but that's what most big firms want.
It's a fine line you have to walk. You're basically piggy in the middle. You will have men you've known for years turn their back on you & the management wanting everything by the book but work still turning over.
I always used to have a quite word first if I caught somebody doing something daft, as long as it wasn't anything too serious. After that then it's their own fault. Other times you have no choice & you will have to act immediately.
It's a case of firm but fair with everybody.
Good luck. :rolleyes:

Congratulations on your new career path PTG, I wish you well

Let the boys know that you are intrested in thier Health & Safety. That you want them all to return to the beach in one piece.

There are unfortunatley some over the top "rule's" that are applied by employers,remind the lads that they signed up to them, as you have to implement them.You are all working under the same edicts specified by your employer.

I have found fixed installation work easier to impliment as you can build on the health & safety culture of that installation and put your own stamp on it. Play down the trivial but come down on the buggers like a ton of bricks for any and all major trangressions,This is to include senior management when they start cutting corners.

Oh and drop your "Fun Police" terminology, or you may find yourself on a quick flight home if overheard by people with a fixed mindset

Onward and Upward

Regards

you just alienated me you scumbag
all the best in your new career its just the same old same old only you cant get a swally at the end of the week.
you will breeze it bud ;)

Best of luck in your new role mate sure it will all fall into place once you get out there !! you on the one platform or covering a few ?

Best of luck in your new role mate sure it will all fall into place once you get out there !! you on the one platform or covering a few ?

Not 100% sure yet I am all ears & on beconing call, been trying to get off since last August sent 100's of CV's so the moral of the storey is keep knocking on the door and eventually the door will open.;):D:p

PTG

All the very best with your Offshore Career Path---if you play your cards right you will find little to no resistance to your presence, Offshore Scaffs are trained to a high degree of Health and Safety Culture--- professional and are very aware of their responsibilities and duties...

Maintain your current philosophy of now your stuff, never bluff and practice what you preach and you will not go far wrong---visit the Bear Pit as often as you can and have a coffee with the Bears...

Garry...

PTG

visit the Bear Pit as often as you can and have a coffee with the Bears...

Remember my first visit to the bear pit Garry when i was offshore supervisor, the eyes burning into my body felt like i had leprosy or been caught fondling the OIM, eventually got accepted by most of the lads [you cant win em all over] and in the end even got invited into their card schools to which i politely declined, what i earned out there i wanted to take home, not go off skint and owing the next trips money like a few did.

Top Bottom