Steps (again)

1969scaff

Reaction score
I know this has probably been asked before but is using the step system for erecting the advanced handrails law?Only reason I ask is because we all got a letter about those scaffs caught in Manchester ,by someone sending pics to the HSE,not using advanced handrails etc. Letter gave details followed by a statement that using the step system is law.More scare tactics from management?Thought using advanced handrail systems was just a recommendation of safe working?We have just done a big splay using steps pain in the friggin ar-e,to put the handrail at the correct height is a real stretch,can't be good for you all that extra strain.Three years on using steps and I'm convinced they are crap.

1969scaff, is that really true the 3 year thing?

We have been using them not perfectly but getting better all the time and now I don't get any complaints.

They are all just reccomendations but if your firm have deemed them their kit of choice then it's as well being law.

Steps

Yes we used them on a big job in Liverpool before they became the kit of choice,The main contractor Waites insisted on us using them,felt a right pratt !Still don't agree with the concept.What I wanted to know is it a law that you have to use them?That's what our firm is trying to say.I have not heard through the scaffolding grapevine that it is.

There are plenty on here that agree with you.

There is no law that say's you have to use the step, but................

BUT...... BENDING DOWN AND TOUCHING YOUR TOES WILL ALSO KEEP YOU ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THESE MAIN CONTRACTORS :laugh:

but...................you need to use something or you will be sitting in the house.:idea:

Bend down touch your toes up it goes ?

That just slid off your tongue, if you pardon the pun.:embarrest:

i now wot u mean geezer but if its in ur companys method statement when they do the risk assesment, then thats wot the main contractor and the safty guy will expect u to use.
its only a recomendation from nasc but till someone cums up wiv summit differnt we r stuck with it
it sez india on my car tyres ...but dont mean i gotta drive there

hi im polecat steps are not law but you must have alternative safe system of work which is very open to misinterpretation but now we go to specific rams we all have to comply with different safety officers whims ps scaff cards are not a legality either

---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 PM ----------

did scaffy ask gb23 to touch her toes the mind boggles

naw, she has 2 legs short for his liking.:noworry:

Steps are a pain.
I really cant see anything wrong with the old way - Walking the length of the longest tube/21ft and putting the Handrail in.

To my knowledge NO ONE has EVER EVER fallen off a Scaffold doing this, so why change a so far decent system?
To be fair, if they did then they were morons who should not get up on a Scaffold in the first place. If you cant walk 21ft on a Boarded and un-Handrailed Lift without falling you shouldn't be in this game. :idea:

What if its in the risk and method statements from the company you work for but never see or sign them?
Who gets the bo$$ocking when you get caught by HSE not wearing a harness or using the step?

What if its in the risk and method statements from the company you work for but never see or sign them?
Who gets the bo$$ocking when you get caught by HSE not wearing a harness or using the step?

All RA-MS should be signed by the originator and all the scaffolding operatives regardless of wether they are erecting, altering or dismantling

It's not law to use the step, that's utter rubbish.

It's law to be protected at height, preferably using collective fall prevention (i.e guardrails) rather than individual (i.e harness)

I can't believe for the life of me why it's still considered a safe way to scaffold, it defies all common sense regardless of peoples personal opinions on using it. The whole process of using it doesn't solve ANY (apparant) problems!

I have used the step many times. I am 5ft 10 & find it a strain reaching the top handrail on the next lift whilst standing on the step. The act of climbing up the thing is stupid, especially if you have the type without a ladder. How can I step straight to the top handrail?

I have been in the game for 30 years & have never seen a system more dangerous on the body & process.

Working to SG4 05 progressing the handrail round with you was the safest & most practical on the body.

This was not brought in by a working scaffolder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do not do this often but the SCCR can make a change but we need numbers.

Yes we might be slow at sending info back but we have overheads that do not match the incomings & until we are at a stage when we can have a full time coordinator this with be our down fall.

Grow some balls & stick together!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stewart Quinney
Chairman SCCR

STEPS....... OH S*** I THOUGHT SOMEONE WAS SELLING SOME TICKETS FOR THE FORTH COMING REUNION....PMSL....

YES IM IN A SARKY MOOD.lol.

In this day and age you would probably get a personal improvement (if your lucky) or prohibition notice!

You would be done and the company would probably be done under lack of supervision!

If its in your RAMS you have to use it or the hse will go to town on you and as for signing the RA you havent but someone prob has signed it for you!!!!:suspicious:

Top Bottom