Rules and Regs (1 Viewer)

SWS

Reaction score
Hello, Im after some advice in relation to some health and saftey rules and regs. Where is the best place to keep up to date with the forever changing requirements? Is there any way of finding out this information without a subsription?

Also one of the things that has been picked up on in some health and safety reports recently is that standards on the top lift of a birdcage need to be keep flush with the boards. Are we required to to this by law, or is is just a health and safety inspectors preferance?

Thanks for your time, Jonny.

welcome jonny,

if you can keep up with the regs in this game you would be a fukcing genius and your head would never be out of a book,

otherwise hse website, nasc website and join the sccr

You can cut them flush or extend them to waste height to prevent tripping hazard. If this is what your customer is requiring then you should do it in the interest of health and safety

Cheers Jakdan, I no what you mean. Everyday Im hearing some new ******** rules that make no sense atal and that are completely inpractical. Do you have any ideas on the birdcage issue?

---------- Post added at 12:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 PM ----------

Ian, If not specified in their requirements prior to the job being erected would we have to cut or replace tubes free of charge, or would we be able to charge for the work. Only that at no time in all the training I have done have I been made aware of it being required.

I can't see you getting paid for any remedials works on this mate. The client will probably throw the HSWA 74 duty of care section at you. Such as, if the standards are considered to be a trip hazard to the platform user then you have failed to execute your duty of care to all others effected by your actions. I've always been told to make the standards flush or at least waist height to avoid this situation.

I can't see you getting paid for any remedials works on this mate. The client will probably throw the HSWA 74 duty of care section at you. Such as, if the standards are considered to be a trip hazard to the platform user then you have failed to execute your duty of care to all others effected by your actions. I've always been told to make the standards flush or at least waist height to avoid this situation.

This is true

The actual regulations and guidance's dont change that often, its youre working for different clients all the time, and they have their own rules and regs. And that duty of care to others can be interpreted in many many ways, usually to what suits the client. If the client tells you you've got to wear a pink helmet and you want their work, then that's what you wear simples, nothing to do with written statutory requirements.

I can understand yours points, but at the same time if the grounds not level and you have to cut every standard on every birdcage, you would forever being buying new gear to replace the cut stuff. Fair enough it is safer that they are flush, but is there a law saying its required?

Best practice covers a whole host of applications, I'm in agreement with poledancer, take the hit and next time add a bit for damaged material and a wee bit extra the next time you work for this guy, there is more than one way to skin a cat.

I can understand yours points, but at the same time if the grounds not level and you have to cut every standard on every birdcage, you would forever being buying new gear to replace the cut stuff. Fair enough it is safer that they are flush, but is there a law saying its required?

Ask the client why they want them cut, if they say they are a trip hazard tell them you will sleeve them off to waist height, that is acceptable.

i had a similar experiance but on a really big scale inside every room on a 18,000sqft house with 4.5m high ceilings
as much as i hated to do it, i cut them all down and capped them - the reason for this was the photos and details the SO showed me of a chippy after falling off a step ladder and inpaling himself on a badly cut staff, he had 4 months r&r and the company was fined 38k, i kept the client happy and saved myself the sleepless nights,
next one i do i'm gonna punch the lift up and check it to save time and gear :))

Last edited:
Hello, Im after some advice in relation to some health and saftey rules and regs. Where is the best place to keep up to date with the forever changing requirements? Is there any way of finding out this information without a subsription?

Also one of the things that has been picked up on in some health and safety reports recently is that standards on the top lift of a birdcage need to be keep flush with the boards. Are we required to to this by law, or is is just a health and safety inspectors preferance?

Thanks for your time, Jonny.

Try: TG:20 Scaffolding Guidance, HSE Scaffolding Regs or maybe Gooooooooooogle: HSE Rules and Regs?

As regards to the Standards sticking through? - To be fair, its common sense to either cut them flush or hemp them up with 5ft's or what ever to prevent anyone tripping over them and have a nasty accident.

I also believe its a legal requirement to leave the Scaffold in a safe manner before you hand it over to your client.

Top Bottom