Estimating Packages (1 Viewer)

TAC

Reaction score
which estimating packages do you use?

I have used "CASE" which I still like to use but expensive for what it is.

I have also used "STRIKE" which I was not keen on for estimating but a brill tool for the business.

I have also used the "CAD STEP" which I thought was ok.

I would just like your comments.

From a Hull City Tiger
TAC

Hi we had strike but my estimators didnt like it , to complecated to use as in you needed a degree

Currently have CADs but a bit dear , was currently evaluating CASE the disk turned up today , think will be more what we require

Have tried a few others like scaffold manager which was quiet good but a beta with a few glitches , but he could tailor make if required

Cant live without computers these days

Case

Hi we had strike but my estimators didnt like it , to complecated to use as in you needed a degree

Currently have CADs but a bit dear , was currently evaluating CASE the disk turned up today , think will be more what we require

Have tried a few others like scaffold manager which was quiet good but a beta with a few glitches , but he could tailor make if required

Cant live without computers these days

Scaffy,

I think you will like the case package and Gary Day is a very nice man and he is very helpful.

I have used this program for about 10 years when it was still in (DOS) and now on windows it as got even better.

All the best with it.

From a Hull City Tiger
TAC

Yeh spoke to james last year and gary called yesterday hence had lost the demo , we have 3 estimators and i need a programme that everyone can use so gonna give it a bash , i believe it has the TG20 on it now too :confused:

i have a note pad and do it all from that, and i am as close to all the computer stuff its just what your good at.

which estimating packages do you use?

I have used "CASE" which I still like to use but expensive for what it is.

I have also used "STRIKE" which I was not keen on for estimating but a brill tool for the business.

I have also used the "CAD STEP" which I thought was ok.

I would just like your comments.

From a Hull City Tiger
TAC

Tac
we use cads smart scaffolder, which has TG20:08 check built into it, so if you are pricing bog standard scaffolding it will give you a nice report to send your client, it will also do a drawing and load list at the same time. :D

Scaff - your correct on CADs it makes the quote look good when you put it in with a picture including ya sign board on it too ha

i cant seem to find the case one on the internet

any help please

martin

cads is very good for the money, good service and assistance if needed, would highly recommend

If you're happy with a programme that calculates overall quantities of labour, equipment (inc weight) and transport, then applies unit rates to calculate a (say) four week cost and extra hire rate, this can all be done on a spreadsheet.

I produced separate sheets for independents, birdcages, edge protection (various types on one sheet) and towers back in 1990 and it's saved me countless hours.

For the independent, I can input length, height and width of scaffold, max. bay length and max. lift height, number of boarded lifts, additional hours (for bad access or ground conditions) and distance to job and this would create an instant 'quote'.

I'm currently finishing off a variant of the independent sheet which permits the inputting of data for up to four separate or connected elevations and which also prints out a detailed load list.

May not produce nice drawings and print out a fancy quote, but I think it's better than paying an arm and a leg for Cads or similar.

thats probably privalidged information scaffy :)

---------- Post added at 02:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:19 PM ----------

i still measure every job and look at everything involved, how much does it cost to have one of these programs ? as they do look the dogs nuts :)

This site doesn't seem to support the direct uploading of .wmv files, so I've uploaded a 20 second demo to a free file host. You can get it here:-

Download Independ Calc.wmv from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way

The spreadsheet isn't pretty but very quick and functional.

The highlighted cells are as follows:-

Yellow- Input cells
Green- Default settings
Red- Calculated figures
Black- Cells that do the various calcs.

In this example, the input data returns a job requiring 1159m galv tube, 743 couplers and 96 boards (total weight of 7538 kg) and with a suggested cost to the customer of £2922.52 for 4 weeks hire and £88.55 per week extra hire thereafter.

The default settings and all of the hidden settings can be adjusted to enable the user to mimic his preferred method of pricing. For example, some folk seem to make little differentiation between the length of time it takes to erect 10 lineal metres of lift 2, 3 and 4 respectively. In reality, there is a subtle difference and my settings reflect that. However, the sheet can be set to equalise productivity assumptions for lifts 2, 3 and 4 if the user so requires.

Similarly, some users might prefer to treat transport as an overhead and not, as I preferred, to class it as a direct cost. My preference was arrived at to limit the amount of work that I won at distance.

So, after an initial one off tweak to force the sheet to create figures which mimic your current pricing policy, it will create error free calcs in seconds.

Version 2 of the sheet which is nearly completed generates a detailed load list and can cope with four separate elevations (connected or not) on one sheet.

Top Bottom