Some Bridge Jobs (1 Viewer)

TAC

Reaction score
I am currently working on some of our special suspension bridges around the country like the Humber Bridge, the Forth Road Bridge and the Severn Bridge.
We use a gantry for the high level work like the one in picture 1.

Here is some of our work....
Attached Thumbnails

Attachments

• Forth_Road_Bridge_cable_inspection.jpg
    Forth_Road_Bridge_cable_inspection.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 279
  • HB007.jpg
    HB007.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 270
  • Mid West Scaffold Finished Side 3.jpg
    Mid West Scaffold Finished Side 3.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 246
  • Midd West Scaffold (Internal 1).jpg
    Midd West Scaffold (Internal 1).jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 247
  • Severn Bridge 150.jpg
    Severn Bridge 150.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 259
Interesting Job - High Winds on the bridge

Hi TAC

Vertical ladder beams, didn't think you guys liked them much, but must be due to the high winds.

I went up the Forth Bridge once to look at the Envirowrap sheeting with a Client, and even on a nice summers day the wind was strong.

Thanks for the photos

Chris Eng :amazed:

I am currently working on some of our special suspension bridges around the country like the Humber Bridge, the Forth Road Bridge and the Severn Bridge.
We use a gantry for the high level work like the one in picture 1.

Here is some of our work....
Attached Thumbnails

Being on bridges and pretty open do you secure the boards?

Being on bridges and pretty open do you secure the boards?

OR YES!!!!!

I have seen a scaffolds boards blown off and it is not a pretty site.

Here's how we tied them down

Attachments

• HB013.jpg
    HB013.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 164
That's some serious board retention, what speed gusts do you get on the bridges? Does anyone record any?

Perfect place for a serious testing!!

High winds

We have to monitor the wind all the time when we are working on the bridges, the highest wind speed I have recorded with a hand held is 56mph but we have had wind speeds up to 120mph from the wind monitors on the bridges, the limit for working is 30mph after that is a no no!!! and that is still very strong especially when you are handling boards.

From a Hull City Tiger
TAC

We have to monitor the wind all the time when we are working on the bridges, the highest wind speed I have recorded with a hand held is 56mph but we have had wind speeds up to 120mph from the wind monitors on the bridges, the limit for working is 30mph after that is a no no!!! and that is still very strong especially when you are handling boards.

From a Hull City Tiger
TAC
Sounds like a bit of a task, those are some pretty strong winds!!!

How easy do you find using the board clamps for fixing the boards down?

the type we use are very easy to use but I must admit its a stain on your knee's if you cannot fix them from underneath.

You can get the mushroom type (limpets) which the bolt is on the top but I find these type not very strong, it's just like a big washer.

From a Hull City Tiger
TAC

the type we use are very easy to use but I must admit its a stain on your knee's if you cannot fix them from underneath.

You can get the mushroom type (limpets) which the bolt is on the top but I find these type not very strong, it's just like a big washer.

From a Hull City Tiger
TAC

I dont know whether you have had a look at the thread about the Safelinx Board Retention System. Its a very quick and simple system whereby all of the boards can be fixed using a single unit taking about 20 seconds to fit.

This is much quicker than both board clamps and limpets (and definately quicker than lashing), perfectly suited to scaffolds where you have long straight runs of boards that have to be fixed. There are only two fixing points underneath (inside and outside) but they are easy to get at from the top (even easier from underneath).

Let me know what you think.

I don't know whether you have had a look at the thread about the Safelinx Board Retention System. Its a very quick and simple system whereby all of the boards can be fixed using a single unit taking about 20 seconds to fit.

This is much quicker than both board clamps and limpets (and definitely quicker than lashing), perfectly suited to scaffolds where you have long straight runs of boards that have to be fixed. There are only two fixing points underneath (inside and outside) but they are easy to get at from the top (even easier from underneath).

Let me know what you think.

flynnanddawson,

I have had a look at the thread and yes it looks like a very good piece of kit but I have a few questions if I may.

1, does the safelinx come in different sizes in length.
2, can it be used on a flush finished board level on birdcage scaffolds say 20 boards wide.
3, what is the safety factor on wind speed for the uplift as there does not appear to be no support ties to the centre of the boards which we will still need to tied down for the risk of the board may bow in the middle and uplift in strong winds we have to design the scaffolds on the bridges to withstand a wind speed of 120mph.

But still a very handy piece of kit for straight independents.

From a Hull City Tiger
TAC

Answers.

Hi TAC,

To answer your questions,

1) Safelinx is availiable in any length you require (dependant on order volume) We produce in a 5 board and 4 board as standard but are sorting out stocks to suit most common board gauges.

2) If you wanted a neat secure birdcage platform I can think of no better way than Safelinx, cable tie the units to each other through the holes and around the neaest ledger/tranny. Or stock up on 4.5 meter Safelinx. On the longer lengths there will be additional securing points arranged to provide maximum retention.

3) For serious wind environments a combination of Safelinx and board clamps may be required, although we have calculated the bow on a 13' board would have to be 260mm before it would come out of our unit, we have test results that top out at aprox 3.3kn.

Hope this answers your questions.

Decent piece of kit, had a look at your you tube prsentation, I presume it can come in custom ordered colours, etc etc.

Who ya working for? got offered a start on the Forth bridge bout 6 yr ago was for a firm from Barnsley they make all the ali beams.

We erected scaffold all over Bournmouth pier for concrete repairs a couple of years ago but most of the work was hangers to access the underneath of all the concrete cross members and we used board clamps and lashing to tie the boards down and put a transom across the top of the boards but when a strong tide came in it just took the boards from the hanging scaffold like they where just sat ther on there own with no lashing or clamps and transoms , so what we had to do was put down metal gratings down in 3metres by 1.2metres sections and fixed them down with singles on all corners which let the tide rise and fall with no effect to the metal decking , the only problem with this was the cost of all the metal gratings that the company bought for the job and never used again . Good job and earned some good money too!!

is there enough boards clips on the boards lol

Essex,

I know some engineers go over the top with somethings in there designs but we had to have 4No board retention clips to each board :amazed: so yeah I think we had enough clips on there.....

Hey Tac looks like interesting work mate, which company do you work for mate, wouldnt mind a bit of that,
Cheers m8

Top Bottom