Advanced Guard Rails (1 Viewer)

Collo

Reaction score
Hi Gents

Is anybody out there using any of the advanced guardrail systems you see in SG4:05. I know quite a lot of you are using safety steps, but just wondered if any of the industry has gone down the other route and invested in advanced guardrails.

Let me know if you're using them and what you think of them please.

All the telescopic systems Ive seen are just too expensive to be a viable option at present. The initial outlay for a company our size would be just phenominal and you can bet your boots after one or two jobs about 1/3 of the parts would be mullered.

We have settled to using the step-ups as they are relatively cheap and not witholding some minor faults, they seem to work as well as can be expected.

Dave.

Safety steps

I must agree all the advanced guardrails are very expensive.

we use the safety step

Attachments

• HB036.jpg
    HB036.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 31
advanced guardrails

cape at sellafield have invested £100,000 on the turner access telescopic guardrail system (+ guard) i think its called, i used it just before i got paid off from cape at sellafield, it a bit fiddly at first untill you get the hang of it, i found that if you have a perfect scaffold with bang on sized tubeing it would be ok, but in the real world this doesnt happen and the squad were removing loads o trannies and braces just to get it to fit right (ball ache).
boxes of this stuff had been sitting in the yard for months until we used it, i think it has gone back to the yard to spend the rest of the year in a corner, unused.

cape at sellafield have invested £100,000 on the turner access telescopic guardrail system (+ guard) i think its called, i used it just before i got paid off from cape at sellafield, it a bit fiddly at first untill you get the hang of it, i found that if you have a perfect scaffold with bang on sized tubeing it would be ok, but in the real world this doesnt happen and the squad were removing loads o trannies and braces just to get it to fit right (ball ache).
boxes of this stuff had been sitting in the yard for months until we used it, i think it has gone back to the yard to spend the rest of the year in a corner, unused.

We have just tendered for work in Sellafield for a new concrete structure and in the tender documents it states that the scaffold contractor has to use a safety system and not just the use of harnesses

From a Hull City Tiger
TAC

We have just tendered for work in Sellafield for a new concrete structure and in the tender documents it states that the scaffold contractor has to use a safety system and not just the use of harnesses

From a Hull City Tiger
TAC

Can you include your step as this system [as far as i'm concerned safety step is fall prevention] or is it asking specifically for advanced guardrails.

Collo,

You still have to use your safety harness attached using the safety steps, with the advanced guard rails we had to include with our tender you don't need to be attached whilst working with this system. So I had to include the purchase of these and the labour to erect as well in my price.

i work d.s.l. in dorset we have been given the steps to try the only problem is we are on price i just wondered if you guys using them find it slower than before

Collo,

You still have to use your safety harness attached using the safety steps, with the advanced guard rails we had to include with our tender you don't need to be attached whilst working with this system. So I had to include the purchase of these and the labour to erect as well in my price.

Hi TAC
Would you still not need to be 'Clipped on' when raising or lowering boards, irrespective of any system adopted?

Regards
Paddy

---------- Post added at 07:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:03 PM ----------

i work d.s.l. in dorset we have been given the steps to try the only problem is we are on price i just wondered if you guys using them find it slower than before

Stoth

I agree, i find it, seems a lot slower using the 'Step-up platform' but its a nice feeling once the Boards are up, you know the Jobs done.

Hi Gents

Is anybody out there using any of the advanced guardrail systems you see in SG4:05. I know quite a lot of you are using safety steps, but just wondered if any of the industry has gone down the other route and invested in advanced guardrails.

Let me know if you're using them and what you think of them please.

Hi Collo mate

With all due respect, i dont know if it is a brand name, you are using, for the 'Step up Platform', however, 'Safety Steps' IMHO, isnt the word that springs to mind, when i use them mate.

Regards
Paddy

We use them too but not that well received by the price gangs , i havent invested in advance guardrail yet as looks to flimsy , and is dear

Paddy have you got any pictures of these advanced rails, steps etc, seem to be loosing touch with stuff while offshore, regards Bob.

Scootay45,

You will find them in the SG4:05 or your little hand book SG4:You User Guide.

Here is some telescopic versions.

Attachments

• hs_products_agr_image_4[1].jpg
    hs_products_agr_image_4[1].jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 16
  • pluseight&plusgard_0128%20green2a2-crop[1].jpg
    pluseight&plusgard_0128%20green2a2-crop[1].jpg
    98 KB · Views: 14
I've been using a step-up system for about 8 months.. Like hard hats and harness's and safety specs you get used to them. They are fairly good, but you you still have to revert to the tunnelling method and traversing at certain points in erecting. Nothing is 100% foolproof.

Like most guys, i can offer my own opinion based on my own personal experiences, (although limited) i would input on the consultation rights, given i could make myself available at the arranged date & time.

Lads, just a quick one on this old thread, when using advanced guard railing with these steps do you think the steps totally eliminate the risk of a fall or reduce it. Make a mistake and you're still in trouble. Reason I'm asking is an over side job off shore has just been classified as inboard because of these advanced guardrails. Nightshift offshore and falls to sea with no standby boat for me is unthinkable. Opinions vary but I'm totally against it.

Top Bottom