Harsco announce more depot closures (1 Viewer)

scaffold sales

Reaction score
Heard now from a number of sources that SGB / harsco have announced that they are closing a number of branches prior to financial year end in march.

I've been told;

Aberdeen
Newcastle
Cardiff
Ipswich

Was up north all this week and seemingly the guys in Aberdeen were told on their return from holiday. Anyone heard these rumours elsewhere.

Harsco Infrastructure has today confirmed that the company is currently restructuring its operations in the UK.

This news comes after Harsco Infrastructure Aberdeen closed it’s doors this week and released this statement to us:

Harsco Infrastructure has confirmed that it is to restructure its operations in the UK, a move which will strengthen it’s offering to key customers.

The changes will involve a re-alignment of the business to concentrate on providing core formwork, shoring, scaffolding, mechanical access, temporary roofing, thermal insulation, coating, industrial cleaning and training services.

Harsco considers the UK to be a key strategic market that offers significant opportunities for future growth, however some consolidation of the company’s UK operations are necessary if that growth is to be achieved.

The company is currently holding consultations with the small percentage of the UK workforce affected, but exact numbers are not yet determined. No more information is available at present.

strange choice that shut aberdeen and keep evanton open??i think this lot are going to take gb down the pan wonder if there were transfares or redundancies.....although transfare to where?

---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:56 PM ----------

Cardiff is hire and sales only.

they have a tiny hire and sales in the whole of s\e london think its between dulwich and brixton what a fall swifty not good days.

its a shame that once a mighty company like this is going down the pan but jst goes to show other big firms that treat lads badly u lose 2 many good scaffs and replace them with trainees and monkeys will do ur business harm and when it comes down to hard facts managers from top 2 bottom have made really bad calls ripping guys off and jst generally treating them like shi t on there shoes let this be a lesson learned

Thats Not A Good Sign, Another Long Established British Company,In Fact A Market Leader And Innovater,After Being Bought By An American Multinational Gets Closed Down Or Run Down Till The Company Aint Worth A Toss, Within Five Years Ill Bet The Name Reappears In The Good Ol USA, Along With All The Copyrights. The Global Economy Has Got A Lot To Answer For

I started with SGB Aberdeen, Green bank Road Depot in 1972 makes me in my 40 th year in the game---feckin shocking to here that H ARSE CO are closing Branches. A once World Leader in Scaffolding and Training going down the pan---Really shocking.

Recently 2 Scaffolders applied for a start as a Squad, the Management said we have to split yous up cos we only have 1 part 2 + 1 part 1 and a Labourer in our Squads---needless to say they fecked them off...

I Worked For Them In Dundee Garry, Promised You The Earth, Instead Of Just Being Honest With Men, And Telling Them The Truth, We Are All Grown Ups For Crying Out Loud.But Dundee Branch Was Earmarked For Closure Then (2007/8)

Not In My Book Its Not Garry, Think Of All The Good Scaffolders That Will Be Thrown Out Of Work, And All The Drivers,Trainees,And Yard Staff Alone And For Why The Adjustment Of A Ruddy Balance Sheet? Shower Of A***holes. Mind You Iv No Great Love For The Company, Its Just The Personell I Feel For Mate

i work for harsco never had a problem with them at all only been here a couple of months everything ive been promised they have delivered so cany comment on the bad side

Gerscaff

My sentiments exactly---SGB must have been the Golden Years of Scaffolding for me---feckin happy days---worked with the best, pissed every Thursday---carry oot in the Morning and a half chop every Friday---Bar fights, lifted PMSL---holding back the years LOL...

Its A Ruddy Shame, Think Ill Listen To Some Leonard Cohen To Cheer Myself Up,

The rumours are true.

I know someone working at the Newcastle branch and they were told on tuesday. I think there's a depot in Shrewsbury as well that is closing. Evanton is due to close in february.

It looks like Harsco are trying to concentrate on the industrial services business. They have a new MD that came from Hertel who looks like he was brought in to do a hatchet job.

So called "business people" who run Harsco have the wisdom to close 5 hire and sale depots that made over £1m last year when the whole Harsco UK business lost almost £28m.

The decline of SGB started around 10 years ago and was speeded up no end when Harsco bought them.

I know a lot of good people from SGB who left or were shat on by the directors back in the day. A lot of the wasters and clueless wonders that were left found themselves promoted into positions they had no idea about.

There are people who worked in hire and sales that were promoted to regional managers of the contracts division. When the contracts divisions turned to crap, it's the supervisors and branch managers that got the blame and got the bullet. The golden ones are still left in their ivory castles, as clueless as the day they were wrongly promoted.

I have been told that there is a 25% pay cut coming to the remaining staff, I think it's only at management level but it's a f*****g big pay cut to have to take.

Top Bottom