Offshore are you ready to support

andyf8686

Reaction score
> SUPREME COURT REJECTS WORKERS APPEAL
>
> Offshore workers claims for paid leave refused
>
> It’s a battle that’s lasted almost 20 years and ended with proceedings in the Supreme Court on October 26th and 27th. The outcome - we lost! The five Law Lords mulled the issue over for little more than a month and delivered their decision this morning, December 7th. It’s the end of a long road and there’s no where else to go. No more appeals, no more legal action; Offshore workers have no right to time away from work as paid leave and that’s the LAW!
>
> The highest court in the land heard the arguments of the unions (RMT and Unite) and the employers on the 26th and 27th of October 2011. That’s eight years after the European health and safety Directive was extended offshore to offer better health protections to offshore workers; 13 years after the UK applied the Working Time Reg’s; and nearly 20 years since the EU rolled the Directive out. In that time Norwegian, Dutch and Danish offshore workers have all seen ‘progress’ in the form of rota changes or holiday entitlements that reduce annual working hours. During the same period nothing has changed for many UK workers.
>
> The Supreme Court has now ruled and decided workers can take ‘holiday’ during non-worked periods, ‘field break’. The legal argument is now over! There had been an assumption the fight could be taken to the European Courts but legal opinion tells us this is not the case. The European Court of Justice could only have become involved if the Supreme Court itself had referred particular questions to it on how to interpret or apply the EU Directive. The Supreme Court is the highest court of ‘appeal’ in the UK, and has decided they don’t need directions from Europe, meaning there is no scope to ‘appeal’ any further.
>
> The QC presenting the argument on behalf of the employers, Mr Kavanagh QC, has somehow persuaded the Lords that offshore employers have designed the equal time 2x2 rota specifically to accommodate holidays. He claimed offshore workers were the same as school teachers and professional footballers who, like the offshore workforce, had seen no effect from the introduction of the working time regulations.
>
> Thomas Linden QC acting for the unions summarised the opinion of every 2x2 offshore worker in his closing remarks when he said; ‘these offshore workers believe they have an entitlement to a holiday on the basis they work the equivalent of 42-hours per week for 52-weeks a year, minimum’. That was the union case in a nutshell. The Working Time Directive was introduced to protect workers faced with excessive hours which can damage health. We’ve yet to hear of a footballer or teacher claiming their hours of work are excessive! The Directive has delivered protections in the form of reduced working hours for every other industry in the country. Yet the offshore employers who have resisted it still continue to claim - health and safety is our priority? Shame on them!
>
> Jake Molloy, RMT Regional Organiser said; “Employment rights are already being dismantled under this government and we have real concerns that gains already made on leave could now be undone. Stripping out leave entitlement under the guise ‘it’s the law’ is an easy way to reduce costs, and we all know how the employers are always looking to reduce costs in this industry. You need only consider the fact they’ve spent £millions to get this decision - now they have it they can ‘go to town’. The time for diplomacy is over, it has failed us and there is only one route to securing holidays or an improved rota system such as 2-on 3-off. We’ll now go to the membership with the decision and discuss our strategy to deal with this over the coming weeks and months.”

received the e-mail last night and although not a member of the OILC i will watch for the next move.i have serious doubts to the strength and backbone of a lot of offshore workers,there is a big im alright jack attitude out there.
i have and never will cross a picket,i feel there will be a lot of disputes coming up as there is a real threat to workers rights.:mad:

I was on strike offshore in 89 and a sit in for a few days. Never got anywhere, the perception was why should we sympathise with them as their earning a fortune.

Ian

---------- Post added at 09:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 AM ----------

I was also on strike in morecambe bay, got sacked and threatened legal action if the company lost the contract. Pickets were at Blackpool airport and British gas were collecting strike breakers and bussing them to heysham and flying them out from there.

I worked offshore 10 years, and if your honest , its an easy job, you decide to work there for ok money, if the companies had to pay you leave money they would just the rate while you were offshore, the moneys ok, so don't see what the big fuss is about really, you get an decent average wage over the year, and as for working 12 hours 7 days a week.... if you've worked offshore you know thats bollox...

i suggest everyone onshore supports them as much as they support workers onshore.

personally i think it is a joke they even wasted the money on court proceedings.

not to mention the fact that if they strike it will push the price of oil up which in turn will increase the cost of living for all of us.

Last edited:
I worked offshore 10 years, and if your honest , its an easy job, you decide to work there for ok money, if the companies had to pay you leave money they would just the rate while you were offshore, the moneys ok, so don't see what the big fuss is about really, you get an decent average wage over the year, and as for working 12 hours 7 days a week.... if you've worked offshore you know thats bollox...

If you get a year, oh well so lets just let them take all of our holidays off us, 1 of the above posters got it right, there are too many im alright jacks out there, we do need a good strike and we wont get any sympathy from the public, just look at what sympathy the public sector workers got! But it does need a good strike!

Whatever job you take you know the pay and conditions beforehand, offshore pays a decent wage, you get a small retainer anyway, I would say you get a good wage for the year and you only work half that year... in this day and age strikes are worth **** all... ask the miners.. offshore can't be that bad theres enough people trying to get out there and there will always be people willing to work for the current pay and conditions.

Holidays ?? **** me.. you get 6 months off now..

6 months?
I thought Offshore work WAS a working holiday. ;)

Thats why id love to try it. :)

It's a tough one though Cala, not even sure how I feel about it myself. I did a stint off shore but never got holiday pay and didn't grumble. The boy's on the drillers did a 3 weeker every year in the summer to turn the crews around for either working christmas or new year and that was when most had their holidays. It's not so much as deserving holidays but more of another erosion of employment law that we could do without. You might think that flies in the face of other postings I have made but as I said I'm not sure how I feel about this one.

for that 6 months of the year if you get that long, you get to sleep on a time bomb run and operated by conglomerates making thousands by the minute.
these same companies also operate in norway were the rota has been atleast 2 on and 3 off for more than 15 years.i presume that the dutch,danish and norwegians workers are better at producing the goods and the brits are crap or is it the afforesaid nations actually value their workers and them before some multi national company who only want to rape the country of any natural assetts it has left

Old Scaff what you got to say???? (the real oldscaff without any space that is not mention for you mate)

Can I hear the brave heart cry ????

I will disclose my true opinion later

all the scabs will be coming out the woodwork and all the scum who lie down in the back of buses, when MEN are making a stand for whats right.
shame on them all how can they sleep the fecking worms :mad:

A Unions strength is its members.
If members wont stand together, then they are pointless and a waste of every bodies time.

Strength in Unity and Solidarity. :)

It's a tough one though Cala, not even sure how I feel about it myself. I did a stint off shore but never got holiday pay and didn't grumble. The boy's on the drillers did a 3 weeker every year in the summer to turn the crews around for either working christmas or new year and that was when most had their holidays. It's not so much as deserving holidays but more of another erosion of employment law that we could do without. You might think that flies in the face of other postings I have made but as I said I'm not sure how I feel about this one.

The working world has all but changed now mate, firms have all the power and I don't think strikes etc will help, they will just mark you down for the bullet... sad but true...

I agree, said it many times. Someone mentioned they felt the public sector got a good support for their strike, but I don't.

Old Scaff what you got to say???? (the real oldscaff without any space that is not mention for you mate)

Can I hear the brave heart cry ????

I will disclose my true opinion later

Sorry Andy i thought you meant me.

as usual people posting when they dont really know what its really about.
the court case was made primarily on behaelf of OILC members who donot get payed holidays IE the stewards and stewardesses the people who cook clean and basically keep everything running.
the oil and gas companies preach the everyone is equal ethos and yet deny these people the same basic rights as everyone else.
if these people do strike they will bring the platforms to their knees
i for one will back them

I was part of the occupation of the T.L.P in the 80's---got starved off, put on a flight to the Hutton where we occupied that one too, for my participation in the OILC action I was Black listed and got the walk about for 2 years before they allowed me back Offshore---that was in a time where there was a lot more solidarity yet they broke the strike---the Offshore Workers nowadays do not have the appetite for the fight---there are too much hungry Men out there willing to walk across the picket line---Im afraid that times change and it is now every Man for himself---

They will do their Masters bidding in the end and the Operators know it...

The War is over...

I was part of the occupation of the T.L.P in the 80's---got starved off, put on a flight to the Hutton where we occupied that one too, for my participation in the OILC action I was Black listed and got the walk about for 2 years before they allowed me back Offshore---that was in a time where there was a lot more solidarity yet they broke the strike---the Offshore Workers nowadays do not have the appetite for the fight---there are too much hungry Men out there willing to walk across the picket line---Im afraid that times change and it is now every Man for himself---

They will do their Masters bidding in the end and the Operators know it...

The War is over...

Thats bang on mate, when I was offshore there was so many arse lickers round the gaffers trying to get kept on, it was fuk.in sick... people will always do that ****.....

Top Bottom