nasc versus smller firms (1 Viewer)

guymac

Reaction score
i run a small firm and have been offered a contract to build two scaffolds in lift shafts , however the main contractor only uses Nasc reg scaffold firms .
We are fully insured use the exact same kit and methods , use the same ppe etc .
I would guarantee their price will be two or three times mine for the same job a cost which is passed on to the customer.
Nasc bosses who i know are having it right off and it stinks!
How do you get bigger wihout being small first .

NASC sell themselves as the be all and end all to these companies with the accident satistics. They then sell themselves so you can become a member with them. Except no 1 gets in. It was easier to get in willy wonka's chocolate factory.

i run a small firm and have been offered a contract to build two scaffolds in lift shafts , however the main contractor only uses Nasc reg scaffold firms .
We are fully insured use the exact same kit and methods , use the same ppe etc .
I would guarantee their price will be two or three times mine for the same job a cost which is passed on to the customer.

Why not apply? You may find that charging 2-3 times more for the lift shaft like the other members would cover your membership. The last president of the NASC had a company of 12 people. Its not all the big boys however most are in it.

IF

I can only agree with Ian guymac, they don't come much smaller than me and if you are already doing the exact same thing why not get the information you need to operate from the horse's mouth first hand.

Beware of what you wish for

Gents

Having previously been employed by one of the major players in the NASC. I can talk from my own experience. There was a time when the Major Construction Companies who specified NASC members payed a premium. But they have long since realised that the market place was so congested, that they was no need to continue paying a premium for the use of a NASC member. In fact apart from one Company the prices that they are screwing out of NASC members ( one Company actually has NASC members compete in an electronic reverse auction, i.e "Dutch Auction" ) leaves me for one, with little interest in becoming a NASC member. Far to much pain for very little gain!

Neil

Is that not what's happening in every sector regardless of what trade body you belong to? Prices are being squeezed everywhere.

Top Bottom