tacho excemption (1 Viewer)

lloydmudie

Reaction score
I know that you can drive up to 50 km and be excempt from the EU regulations but would need to use a tacho for the same distance under the UK regs? I been told that you need a tacho no matter how little the distance you travel from a few people and that i don't from others, any links for official info would be greatly recieved.

my boss used to make me use a tacho even when i didnt have a license , the cheeky runt even used to put it in and keep the key . i was always told that you didnt need one if you are local , whatever the fook that means

Transports Friend - Road Safety & Operator Compliance

then go to exemptions and derogations

appears it is exempt as long as its carrying your own materials and driving is not the main part of the drivers job. ie a scaff driving is ok a permenent driver delivering to many sites is not. and it stays within the radius how you would prove that without a tacho is beyond me.

hope it helps

your supposed to keep a log book stating when and where your start and end your journey and mileage

Any exemption is for a 7.5 ton vehicle only, anything above that needs a tacho all the time however far you drive. Philliosmaximus is right when he says if you do decide to exercise your right to not use a tacho you do need to complete quite a concise log book which is far harder and more complicated to fill in than the tacho, my advise would be fill in the tacho no matter how far you are travelling.

got told by vosa you need 1 even if you are only going 1 mile 1 of my lads a few year back got pulled up with a tacho in which was in there for 3 weeks been over wrode that many time you could not even read it, it when to court and they said he had driven for a 120, hours with out stoping so it got chucked out of court.

That's the rub though b-safe, if you put a tacho in then it has to be right. You don't legally need one though.

Believe me the tacho is the easiest otherwise you have to log miles locations drivers everything its a ball ache , my advise is tacho all the way, it also helps to keep a beady eye on the workforce.

A lot easier to find your faults you mean. I have one for a hired motor we were using for a bit and it was a nightmare, no hiding place from that.

if you dont use tackos you need a log book from the road haualge assosiation ,it asks for reg no start time finish time and time spent driveing . if you use tacko you have to remember to keep switching the dials for drive breaks working i nearly got done for not switching from one setting to another

Surely it's easier just to put one in?? If you can't prove how many hours you've driven, VOSA can hold you till you've proven your hours or you get forced to take an 8 hour break so their happy you've rested enough, a bit extreme I know but that's just one of the events one of our scaffs had done to them. All because peeps can't be arsed to fill in a few lines on a tacho! : )

tacko defo helps keep watch on your work force.i went on a course last year i was told by road traffice assosiaton that if you drive less than four hours a day and scaffolding is your main job and dont go futher than 50k as the crow flies you need nothing,but if you get stopped how do you prove it so its best to keep a record of some sort

You can prove it by only getting caught no more than 50 K from your registered operating center, only good for 7.5 tonners though.

aom i mean how do you prove you do less than 4 hours a day driving whitch is surpost to exclude you from any paper work. if you havent got any tacko or log book you cant prove it ,but the man from road hauladge assosiation told us that was the rules if your main job is scaffolding he kept phoneing vosa to find out.that was under domestic rules i belive

aom i mean how do you prove you do less than 4 hours a day driving whitch is surpost to exclude you from any paper work. if you havent got any tacko or log book you cant prove it ,but the man from road hauladge assosiation told us that was the rules if your main job is scaffolding he kept phoneing vosa to find out.that was under domestic rules i belive

To be honest Gary we just fill in the tacho. The rules do allow for certain exemptions but even the boy's in blue don't know them and nailed me at the roadside for ages even called for back up to charge me until I remembered the wee bibles you can buy from the RHA or the FTA telling you exactly what you can and cannot do.

Why are you so keen to avoid the tacho's?

i got stopped a few months ago nearly nicked for not altering dials on tacko ie work rest drive ect ,while you are rushing about you just keep fogetting .he advised me to keep a official log book which i got from one of the assosiations you quoted above.they are easy.but you cant keep track on staff if you need too

Top Bottom