Weight of scaffolding BRAND NEW

Hi gm 21ft ladder beams are very heavy and should be outlawed our backs are not hydraulic but bone and thin tissue ,
but if you ever worked for sys their specially made ladder beams for the railtrack contract was 32ft long and 2 handed you was expected to bridge rail lines with these fecken things it made you physically feel sick and iam sure theres many a scaff on here that can remember working with them.

Hi gm 21ft ladder beams are very heavy and should be outlawed our backs are not hydraulic but bone and thin tissue ,
but if you ever worked for sys their specially made ladder beams for the railtrack contract was 32ft long and 2 handed you was expected to bridge rail lines with these fecken things it made you physically feel sick and iam sure theres many a scaff on here that can remember working with them.

SGB used to have a truss known as a fish belly or 35ft truss and I am sure that used to be around 170kg (385lbs) needed big arms to pull those up :)

Last edited:
Hi Al, I'm old enough to have used the 35' roof trusses and can attest to the fact they were F###ing heavy and difficult to use, we all put our hands together when the 12' unit beam arrived. PS I think the roof trusses would have been 175kg or thereabouts

Just had a re-look at my copy of the "SGB guide to Scaffold Construction" circa 1982 and note the roof truss beams came in two sizes - 35' and 22'.
interestingly they give weights for 12' unit beams @ 43kg, 21' surebeams @ 76.2 kg but nothing for the roof truss, guess they didn't want the men complaining.

Last edited:
Hi Al, I'm old enough to have used the 35' roof trusses and can attest to the fact they were F###ing heavy and difficult to use, we all put our hands together when the 12' unit beam arrived. PS I think the roof trusses would have been 175kg or thereabouts

Just had a re-look at my copy of the "SGB guide to Scaffold Construction" circa 1982 and note the roof truss beams came in two sizes - 35' and 22'.
interestingly they give weights for 12' unit beams @ 43kg, 21' surebeams @ 76.2 kg but nothing for the roof truss, guess they didn't want the men complaining.

Morning Doug
my 17kg should have read 170kg but I guess the 385lbs gave that away :)

Top Bottom