Ken Brogden Ltd has scaffolding-death fine cut due to recession

TEESSIDE SCAFFOLDER

Reaction score
Ken Brogden Ltd has scaffolding-death fine cut due to recession

November 01, 2011

A scaffolding repair company which admitted breaching health and safety laws after the death of a veteran steeplejack has had its fine cut on appeal – because of the recession.

Ken Brogden Ltd, based in Heywood, was one of two companies which faced fines after 40-year-old John Alty, a steeplejack with 25 years’ experience, fell to his death while working on a chimney at Swan Lane Mill, Bolton, in 2007.

Despite not directly causing the accident, Ken Brogden Ltd was handed a £10,000 fine at Minshull Street Crown Court in January after a prosecution was brought by the Health and Safety Executive.

Now two senior judges at London’s Court of Appeal have reduced that fine, and gave the company more time to pay it off, after hearing times are tough in the construction industry.

Mr Justice Silber, sitting with Mr Justice Kenneth Parker, told the court Mr Alty and colleagues were working on a defunct Grade Two listed chimney at the site in June 2007 when the scaffolding fell away beneath them.

The judge said another worker managed to hang on to a ladder attached to the structure, but dad-of-one Mr Alty fell 160 feet and died from his injuries.

Mr Alty’s employers, Macclesfield-based Bailey International Steeplejacks Ltd, were fined £75,000 after the anchor fixings of some scaffolding were found to be inadequate, the court heard.

Ken Brogden Ltd, who repaired the scaffolding before the accident, faced a fine of £10,000, and were ordered to pay £16,000 costs, after admitting that more thorough repair work could have been carried out if its staff had asked what the equipment would be used for, the judge said.

Prosecutors accepted the insufficient repair work was unlikely to have caused the accident, and the company says it has since put procedures in place to prevent similar errors.

The company’s lawyers told judges it had not yet started paying off the fine and could not meet the 18-month deadline set by the Manchester judge because business is down due to the recession.

After hearing those arguments, Mr Justice Silber agreed to cut the fine to £6,600 and gave Ken Brogden Ltd three years to pay it off.

Obviously very sad to see another man loose his life for a poxy job, but another timely reminder that blame can get spread far and wide in the event of a tragedy. Get the t's crossed and I's dotted and don't stray too far from the line no matter how much they beg you and promise to stand by you.

too right Aom.

is it just me, but it says " insufficient repair work was unlikely to have caused the accident" so how come they got a 10 grand fine , surely after repairs it went back to clients premises who were satisfied with it, so then it was upto them and the erectors to visually check and manually check that the kit they were using was fit for purpose.

Agreed, but again this topic has been to the fore in my world with requests for things that aren't quite right and to turn a blind eye to ongoing issues on site. "I will stand buy you and tell them I told you to do it", aye right, more like you will disappear the firm will have no record of the conversation and the insurance company will rag my ass for month's until I am begging them to please let me carry the can for you. I kid you not, I actually bought one of these daft dicta-phone things to record some of the conversations I am having at the moment. Sad I know but the original post proves my point.

Aom there is a computer pen out now, it is a very clever , easy to use little gadget, it costs £99-99 and you have to buy the special notepads to write in aswell but they are very cheap bout £1 or £2 each, it records voice like your dictaphone but also records all your pen strokes date , time and at any time you can touch a part of a word you wrote down it will tell you date , time, what letter it is everything , it also allows you to download info from it or onto it , plus many other useful apps and stuff . next time you near a currys shop go in look around or ask and they have one you can mess about with, very useful item in your kinda predicament.

Knowledge is Power, listen to everything, Say nothing.:blink1:

---------- Post added at 09:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 PM ----------

here it is.

LIVESCRIBE 2GB Echo Smartpen - Black buy online | Currys

I will have to slog it out over 7 glens and a mountain to find a Curry's but will have a close look. Sad the way the job is going, getting a bit draining to be honest.

---------- Post added at 10:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 PM ----------

FFS, does it shoot lasers at Dr No as well.:D

I will have to slog it out over 7 glens and a mountain to find a Curry's but will have a close look. Sad the way the job is going, getting a bit draining to be honest.

No need to freeze yur frekles off Aom.You can google it. Super gives a good discription.....:rolleyes: Are you an agent Super???

its appauling that the fine has been dropped due to a run down in the construction industrie,A MAN HAS LOST HIS LIFE AND ANOTHER LEFT DANGLING FROM A LADDER 160 FEET IN THE AIR.
id like to know what the mans family got,and i bet the company that appealed the decision probably never even sent a card to the family.
WHAT PRICE A MANS LIFE

Hello all you scaffs;

My name is Ken.Brogden.

I started a business with my wife in 1987, we traded as Ken Brogden,blacksmiths & welders.
We did general blacksmithing work and a lot of the work was for steeplejack companies.
I retired from the business in Feb. 2004 and the business was given to my wifes son.
A few years later he incorperated the business and now trades as Ken.Brogden Ltd.

Since this tragic accident I've had people ask me about it because they think that I'm still part of the business. This is due in part to some newspapers and other publications writing "Ken Brogden" and not "Ken Brogden Ltd" when they pulished their stories, and, someone infering that I was still invloved with the comany.

Up to my retirement we had never fabricated aluminium scaff. frames or used the Tig welding technique.
Since my retirement I have had absolutely nothing to do with Ken.Brogden Ltd. in any shape or form.
The person that runs the company now does not speak to me.
I would like to thank the people who have posted on this thread for always using the correct "Ken.Brogden Ltd".
Keep safe.
Thanking You,Ken.Brogden.

Understood Ken and as Frederik has said I too wish you a happy retirement. My initial feelings were that this fine was heavy for no real involvement in the incident and was a product of insurers dragging all and sundry to the fore to reduce their losses but it's usually a bad sign when people start distancing themselves from any entity they were once connected.

Top Bottom