The step thing!!

not every scaffolder uses the forum and some scaffolders cant even be bothered to vote but!!! are quite happy to moan about it think your find if this step is every made law then watch the signitures go up through the roof at the moment most are in the yard rusting away with the lovely british weather we have:laugh:

i agree not every scaffolder uses this forum.
however out of the 2954 that are registered only 1.45% signed the petition in a month.

even jason has admitted it is of use on independants. maybe we should see it for what it is which is another tool to be used at the appropriate time which may save someones life.

we used to use 2 milk crates tie wrapped together.......why do we need to change??

I think you will find you just answered your own question. We used to live in caves..............

My point being we used to do a lot of things but that doesn't make them right.

Might be fine in Arizona but over here we call them pikey's.;)

loosing the will.!!

Interesting to see what other scaffs are making of these step up systems,have been using them on and off for a few years now and to be honest,after the initial moaning and groaning most of us are getting used to it as we're told its in our method statement and company policy so either get on using it or gtf.
Got to admit it i prefered using these than to constantly hearing "clip on" as i tried to get on with me job also prefered it to the traversing method as they call it as this just slows you down to near boredom.
But today i nearly lost the will when told we now have to run a handrail between ground level and 1st lift and use the steps to put a 1st lift handrail in before getting up to board out etc,apparently this is now part of our method statement,totally crazy,ok above 4m i could just about accept,but surely this is one step too far[lol,sorry],is anyone else having to do this.?
After 30 years as a scaff i'm that near to just saying gtf.:mad:

Alrite scaffbhoy,the sccr are campaining against the use of these things, for a while,advanced guard rail another issue. its working off a ladder at the end of the day,something hs have been trying to eliminate. A few think its alrite hemping over handrails on a step.Most dont take it off the wagon.

Nightmare but you know the wording of the regs.

Just ban the step!
Waste of time and is NOT needed to make Scaffolding anymore safer.

The job is safe enough, without enforcing something that makes our job more dangerous, then it needs to be.
Working on a flimsy, alloy step to hemp tubes and run a handrail in, imo is dangerous and goes against everything we have learned whilst erecting/striking Scaffolds.

Just ban the step!
Waste of time and is NOT needed to make Scaffolding anymore safer.

The job is safe enough, without enforcing something that makes our job more dangerous, then it needs to be.
Working on a flimsy, alloy step to hemp tubes and run a handrail in, imo is dangerous and goes against everything we have learned whilst erecting/striking Scaffolds.

Hi Jason
Don't get me wrong mate as im not defending the steps here, but making statements like...." Working on a flimsy, alloy step to hemp tubes "... makes you look like a real Plonker as the manafacture states that the steps are purley for access to install the advance guard for the next lift and as such no other work is permitted from them.
We have to use these in the college and we have to teach the lads how to use them & that NO HEMPING is allowed from the steps.
it gets even more nuts as the manafacture recomends using a short inertia so you can not fall from the step.;)

Hi Jason
Don't get me wrong mate as im not defending the steps here, but making statements like...." Working on a flimsy, alloy step to hemp tubes "... makes you look like a real Plonker as the manafacture states that the steps are purley for access to install the advance guard for the next lift and as such no other work is permitted from them.
We have to use these in the college and we have to teach the lads how to use them & that NO HEMPING is allowed from the steps.
it gets even more nuts as the manafacture recomends using a short inertia so you can not fall from the step.;)

Have to agree. If a scaffold is erected correctly then the standards will be staggered and there shouldn't be a need to 'hemp' off standards. (I agree there could be a need to do so in a single bay or two bay scaffold, but this would need to be addressed at risk assessment/ method statement level). If used correctly it can be quite a useful tool. And lets face it lads, we might as well embrace it as unless someone gets seriously injured and it's proven they've done so through the use of a scaffstep, then the powers that be are not going to change their stance, petition or not.

I hope it doesn't resort to someone being injured before somethings done.....

I'm not to up on computers could some one tell me if there is a way that a online petition could be compiled of qualified scaffs that think the scaffold step is not only useless but dangerous ,if enough people signed up and it was sent to the health and safety executive,wouldn't they have to have a look at this nasty bit of kit before someone gets hurt using it.

feel alot better traversing think they have tried to sort a problem out that dont exsist

I agree Dave.
By the way, are you any relation to Ben @ Millcrofts?

Anyone else read the report on the SCCR meeting with the HSE on the scaffstep?

HSE are saying they can't ban it and don't know how they can help the SCCR with this. Little confused by this, isn't the HSE the ones who have banned equipment before, example ladders with no grip on the steps? Why is the step off limits to them?

Anyone clear this up? Shame someone from HSE won't come on here and have a chat.

Top Bottom