hi, writing a book based on history of scaffolding

Hi Alan

yes Stewart is still alive, hes 92 now, and unfortunately he is house bound and a little hard of hearing, spoke to him a couple of weeks ago regarding Graham. John Cornish is still about as well.

NJW3000 you may care to track down Peter Bond, a life long SGB man who if i remember correctly was the unofficial company archivest, seem to remember he had stuff dated back to the very beginings of SGB.

good luck with book

Birdcage

With ref to the birdcage scaffold, I started scaffolding in the 70s and any scaffold 16ft x16ft or over and more than 2lifts was called a birdcage and was usually a support scaffold, obviously the more weight the scaffold had to take the more lifts required, and smaller standard spacing etc

i was always of the impression that a BIRDCAGE was generaly light weight and predominantly for painters.
any big(in size) load bearing scaffold would be classed as a SHORE and would have been designed as such

You are correct in what you say but back in the 70s designed scaffolds were very few and far between, I also think names for various types of scaffolds depended on the area you lived, I saw lots of changes as people from different regions worked together both onshore and offshore and took on different ideas, please bear in mind also that very few scaffolders had been on courses of any kind

You are correct in what you say but back in the 70s designed scaffolds were very few and far between, I also think names for various types of scaffolds depended on the area you lived, I saw lots of changes as people from different regions worked together both onshore and offshore and took on different ideas, please bear in mind also that very few scaffolders had been on courses of any kind

Morning MeV,
Not sure about designs being few and far between in the 70's?
SGB had in excess of 32 scaffold designers in the 70's, not to mention Palmers, mills, Deborah. gB had a full time team of 5 just in ther Kings Cross office another 5 in Birmingham, 5 In Manchester 2 in Leeds 5 in Scotland and so on, they were all flat out then prior to the nonsense to which they have to perform now:)

I don't doubt what you say, I started with Palmers in 1971 and don't think I saw a spirit level being used for the first couple of years, I do remember singles being used for dog leg bracings amongst other things, then work took off in a massive way and things did change a lot from about 73/74 I suppose it could have just been the place I was working at the time.

This thread is also over 2 years old.
I wonder if he managed to finish his book?

---------- Post added at 02:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:06 PM ----------

I don't doubt what you say, I started with Palmers in 1971 and don't think I saw a spirit level being used for the first couple of years, I do remember singles being used for dog leg bracings amongst other things, then work took off in a massive way and things did change a lot from about 73/74 I suppose it could have just been the place I was working at the time.
1971? Jesus, you are not still on the tools are you?
And heres ME thinking that I was the fossil on here!:D

the poor guy probably chucked his book idea away when he realised that JG had already covered it as a sticky:sad2:

This thread is also over 2 years old.
I wonder if he managed to finish his book?

---------- Post added at 02:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:06 PM ----------

1971? Jesus, you are not still on the tools are you?
And heres ME thinking that I was the fossil on here!:D

youre too young to be a fossil John. Dinasaur maybe, 71 was a good year for T rexites and only a blink away.:cool:

Top Bottom